EVGA SR-X problem

redmasc

Gawd
I bought an SR-X a few years ago to build a system for a buddy but never got around to it until recently. I got all the parts together, Xeon E5-2680 ES CPU's, 48GB of memory, EVGA 970 GTX. The system turns on fine, but sits at the logo screen with a B2 or B4 error code displayed at the bottom right and on the LED on the board. It also say's CMOS Checksun error. Yes, it says "checksun" not checksum. Thinking it was the cmos battery since it sat there for so long, I swapped it out with a new battery and still the same issue. Thinking it might be a problem with the ES CPU microcode, I obtained a retail E5-2620 from a friend to test it with and I still get the same message. Right now, I'm stuck and out of ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Try booting the board with only CPU0 and minimal memory installed. What do you have plugged into your USB ports?

See here for error codes and this SR-2 thread that goes through much of the troubleshooting, many things should be similar.

I have only CPU 0 enabled. Disabled CPU 1 using the jumper setting at the top of the board and only 1 memory stick installed in slot 1 tried using both ECC and Non ECC memory. I can't even get into bios. I cleared CMOS and it does the same thing. The only thing plugged into the usb port is my keyboard. It recognizes keyboard commands like ctrl alt delete and beeps if you push buttons too many times. But beyond that, that is it.

According to the FAQ, a B2 error code indicates a Legacy option rom initialization error and is can be due to the bios on the GPU. I guess its time I go find an old GPU to update the bios on the motherboard and see if that will work.

Yup, its the video cards. Had to drive to a buddies place to pick up an old 8800 GTX to put it in and it worked! System loaded past bios and everything. Thanks KMac, for the help.

I bought an SR-X a few years ago to build a system for a buddy but never got around to it until recently. I got all the parts together, Xeon E5-2680 ES CPU's, 48GB of memory, EVGA 970 GTX. The system turns on fine, but sits at the logo screen with a B2 or B4 error code displayed at the bottom right and on the LED on the board. It also say's CMOS Checksun error. Yes, it says "checksun" not checksum. Thinking it was the cmos battery since it sat there for so long, I swapped it out with a new battery and still the same issue. Thinking it might be a problem with the ES CPU microcode, I obtained a retail E5-2620 from a friend to test it with and I still get the same message. Right now, I'm stuck and out of ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Will that Xeon overclock on the SR-X?

I always wondered about my own ES, and if 2 of them on a SR-X would work.

I haven't tried yet. I did see that you can change the bclk in the bios menu, but I'm more concerned with trying to get the system online at the moment. I'll give it a shot once I get everything up and running.

Back