EVGA SR-X or SuperMicro motherboards

redmasc

Gawd
I have 2 Xeon's 2011 socket that are engineering samples. Does anyone know if the SR-X or a supermicro X9DRG-QF support ES CPU's? I bought the super micro board, but I get no post or any missing ram beeps. So I might go SR-X instead if it supports ES CPU's. I have the SR-2 and it supports ES CPU's.

You might need to get a retail stepping Xeon in order to boot the SM board, and then you flash to the latest BIOS and see if it will then support your ES chips..There were a lot of guys on our F@H team that had this issue when using ES chips in X58 boards, even some SR-2s..

If you have a local shop that sells Xeons, perhaps you can take in and ask them to boot and flash the bios for a small fee so you don't have to buy a cpu you only need for a few minutes...

I have had really good luck with my Asus Z9PE-D8 2P 2011 board with ES chips, so long as they are NOT B0/B1 steppings. I have heard good things about the Z9PA-D8 as well (the ATX form factor version of my board.)

Supermicro has been hit or miss, but as ccityinstaller stated, the F@H team has quite a bit of experience in this arena.

Want to check in on this. Where can I get in contact with f@H guys that have supermicro mobo, to try and figure this out?

Head over to the Distributed Computing subforum and find the link for IRC. A good portion of the group, including myself, hang out there. We should be able to answer questions for you.

Back