EVGA SR-2

SAL0x2328

n00b
I new so if this would better belong in general hardware, I'm sorry but I think that this subforum would have more expertise dealing with people who want to build a SR-2 based system.

So I have a SR-2 motherboard, a suitable case, operating systems (Server 2012)...

I was thinking (with rough price estimates) would finish it up:
2x X5650 (for $300 each) [I have seen W5590 for $200 each]
2x Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.C ($60 each)
24GB DDR3 RAM, 1600 MHz, CAS 9, 1.5v [Crucial Ballistix Sport (two of BLS3KIT4G3D1609DS1S00)] ($230 total)
Crucial M4 64GB ($70)
Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti ($280)
Corsair 1200W ($265)
Total: about $1600 (which is about what I can spend)

The build is mostly for fun, I do plan to overclock it, it will be used for gaming (but I know that it is not optimal for it). Once I plan to get it up and running (not 24/7), I plan to keep it until it is hopelessly obsolete and then some.

The question is can I get better parts w/in the budget (particularly Xeons)? And how strongly do you think I should give up on this and build a LGA1150 system for $1600 when they come out (to me it seems less like it would be less fun than a dual Xeon)?

Last edited:
SR2 boards are notoriously bitchy...
There is a thread in the dc forum that is some 1200+ post long on tweaking it... last post was 5/2/13.

I would have gone the 2p 2011 route as you can get much more performance for around the same price. ...just make sure you go with QBxx chips (c0) stepping... QAxx are cheaper but for a reason, most boards dropped support.

SR2 while it allows overclocking is probably more of a pain than its worth.
A 2p rig will be more fit for compute than gaming... specially with such a light gpu.

Thanks.

Did not think to search the bits and bytes section of the forums for SR-2 information, based on the thread, it does look like the SR-2 is far more trouble than I thought, and I thought it would be trouble to begin with.

I gather it would be best to sell the SR-2 to someone more determined than I.

Hmmmmm, tough call. You already own the SR-2 and will take a loss selling it. Sure they're a bitch to OC, but they run fine stock. Believe me, I owned one. Just follow the OC guide in the DC section.

It's more picky, more than anything.
Keep in mind it's still somewhat a server board, and most server boards are even more picky than an SR-2. ;)

The issues I had with mine were moreso hardware related (poor contacts in the ram slots/slight board warping in that area, and an issue that made it impossible for me to disable NUMA while running SLI [despite other people claiming to be able to do so with their SLI setup]) than anything.

It's up to you. If you think it's fun to poke around with a fickle board and a difficult configuration, then you've got the right motherboard. If you want something more stable at the expense of being able to fool with overclocking, then I'm sure you can choose a better board.

I think the SR2 could be a phenomenal time sink. I looked into one myself before getting a pedestrian supermicro board.

Ivy Bridge E is supposed to be released later this year, maybe wait a few months for that?

A friend of a friend told me that IB-E 12c 2.7ghz performed like dual 3.6ghz hex ...

I can only imagine if thats true what two would do...

:cool:

This 12 core thing, it is 6 physical cores and 6 virtual am i correct? Apple MAc Pro is also advertising 12 cores, but I don't think they are planning on releasing dual cpu system.

This 12 core thing, it is 6 physical cores and 6 virtual am i correct? Apple MAc Pro is also advertising 12 cores, but I don't think they are planning on releasing dual cpu system.

no, 12 real cores, 24 threads. these cpus are beastly :)

Which model has 12 cores and 24 threads? All I've seen is 6 cores / 12 threads.

Unreleased Ivy Bridge E.... the "V2" chips are up to 12c/24t

And on the consumer side we're still getting gimped 6c/12t IVB-E chips. So if I am understanding this correctly we're getting HALF a working die sold to us. :mad:

Only on the consumer side. Xeon lineup is getting the whole 12c/24t smash.

And on the consumer side we're still getting gimped 6c/12t IVB-E chips. So if I am understanding this correctly we're getting HALF a working die sold to us. :mad:

No reason not to buy a Xeon if you need it.

Yeah, they're meant to be reliable -- you know, for servers, and real work.

always wanted an SR2

iconic system for sure, I should be able to afford one about the time it is too slow to even load up a web page

Yeah, they're meant to be reliable -- you know, for servers, and real work.

Intel started this trend of unlocked 2p xeons....
Then they killed it off just as quickly...

Some of us want dual proc overclocked monsters.
but 2011 just doesn't deliver that.

Intel started this trend of unlocked 2p xeons....
Then they killed it off just as quickly...

Some of us want dual proc overclocked monsters.
but 2011 just doesn't deliver that.

we need little nanobots with jackhammers and welders

always wanted an SR2

iconic system for sure, I should be able to afford one about the time it is too slow to even load up a web page

get Skulltrail now, THEN upgrade to SR2 in about 4 years :D

SR-2 is a challenging board. I think even moreso for myself as I get BIOS resets and checksum failures about 1 in 5 boot attempts. Then again many people report all sorts of issues like this so I think the BIOS itself has been faulty from the start.

As far as bang for buck similar performance a stock DP 2011 will still run you thousands more dollars. A well overclocked SR-2 can still be competitive!

I say only get one if you have lots of patience and an interest in learning for yourself how this board really works. Seems it's hard to get answers on EVGA on this stuff.

I also have an SR-2. Indeed, the board is tricky. I still haven't got mine to overclock more than 2% of the base processor clock.

I'm actually on my 2nd board because the first one stopped POSTing. Since then, no issues with booting.

There are lots of issues you can have with the SR-2, from hardware to driver error messages.

If anyone is interested in going with an SR-2, I have a pair of X5550's I am not using that I know will POST in an SR-2 - send me a PM. I also have a build log thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1788025ead:

Ivy bridge E seems to be a true 6-core die.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Core-i74690X-Extreme-Edition-Ivy-Bridge-E-CPU-Review/?page=2

It seems with the sandy bridge LGA2011 stuff they went for a four core design and an eight core design (crippled to produce 6 core parts) while for the IVY bridge stuff they went for a six core design (crippled to produce 4 core parts) and a 12 core design (crippled to produce 8 and 10 core parts).

Back