EVGA SLi Mobo discussion thread. Come one, come all.

Has anyone had any problems booting to only a regular PCI card? Imy x1900xt is in the mail, and i have an S3 that i want use, but i cna't get it post. It stops on the 2D code. I see the video card boot screen, and then it just goes black.. like its waiting for a signal. I just got a new bios chip from evga, so i dont know what version it is. Anyone?

when is the new BIOS coming out....soon? I just bought this board and its on the way.....will I be able to install my X2 3800 out of the box?

Should be able to, my 3800+ X2 detected correctly right out of the box, and I believe had the proper default clock settings.

Not much really. I guess it's kind of hard to get good monitoring, Jetway's MyGuard program or SpeedFan both seem to do reasonably good jobs of giving you temps, fan speeds, etc. Not sure if there's a better solution, it's kind of annoying that MBM stopped development.

Alright, it's the 27th. Let the impatient waiting BEGIN!

BIOS BIOS BIOS BIOS BIOS...

I told Mario when I talked to him that he'd get some restless natives on his back if he gave us a date, but he said it was cool. I'm sure they'll be something this week. As sure as I can be.

If the new BIOS doesn't work, it's DFI or bust.

cut em some slack busta word slappa jank. I think is awesome as hell that they're working on a swank bios now. But hey, i know my Tuesday arriving Gskill extreme will run 282 @ 2t at least. And they obvisouly ARE working with memory manufacturers to try and ensure things work right, so thats cool.

Well tis day 4 of the stress testing for me. My system is now off the work bench and into the case. I have been taking picts so I will add to my website and prove that what I say. The steppings are:

Opty 165
OSA165DAA6CD
CCBWE 0551 UPMW
1392938L50037

Right now my EVGA-41 and Opty 165 are under phase cooling. Problem is I can not tell just how cold the chip is. Seems Motherboard monitor does not list EVGA and I could not find the same Jetway board either. Tried to set in manual but it would not read. Anyone recomended a good replacement program for motherboard monitor that can handle phase and sub zero temps?

Myguard only goes down to zero and the whines about no fan on the cpu. Phase does not need no stinking cpu lol.

In any event after much testing on the bench under air I found the following:

FSB/HTT max for me on air was 315
Opteron 165 CPU max on air at 1.5v was 2567.94mhz
Mushkin black ddr 400 2x1gb under dos memtest 86 overnight 9 tests total was 260 at 2T 3-4-4-8 at 2.55v. Mushkin acutally likes less voltage but I too see the limits of this EVGA board, its holding me back :mad:

CPU-Z reports 2528mhz, once I get a program that can report what temp the cpu is really at I will finish my page and posts the picts. If others can reach 2.8 or 3ghz on air and water than phase should get there too.

I too await the new promised bios with high hopes

ok got an opty 148 and to lazy to search this monster, any body using xp 90 with stock back plate? also BIOS BIOS BIOS i can wait but i need more dividers or more setting options to get higher than 2.64 GHz stable but im really not complaining now .if this bios delivers ill be sick wicked happy :D

Okay I want to run 2 X 1GB sticks of ram in this bad boy @1t around 260 mhz with higher timings or 218mhz with divider and low timings. Any body using anything that will do this stably. I run with the divider some OCZ 2 X 512 sticks right now and would like to move up. My 3200 chip is running at 2.65ghz with the htt at 265. Thanks

It depends on the type of 1GB sticks you want to use. Check out this thread at the EVGA forums for a list of known compatible RAM - http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=26.

I cannot get my OCZ Platinum EB sticks to run 1T any higher than 240 despite being rated at 250.

Remember, the particular model number of RAM is important as it will determine what memory chips were used in the stick - and this determines compatibility. Brand and size only tell half the tale.

I can't get ntune's nv monitor to show cpu temp - wtf

also any good places that explain the BIOS - switched from the Asus A8V Deluxe rev.2 and it really scares me (this board's BIOS)

Goateater, try googleing Myguard (the link is somewhere in the 30 pages of this thread.) It'll read the temps :)

i gotta problem....today i turned on my computer and it booted up and went to the screen where it asks you to choose to start windows normally, safe mode, etc...So i chose normally b/c i didnt know what had happened. when i hit enter the computer just restarted again and did the same thing.

I tried safe mode, normally, and everyother option. I put in my XP CD and did repair, but it asks me to type in an admin password. i never set a password so i just hit enter and it showed me the C:/Windows. i dont know what to do, i dont really want to reformat, but i guess i'll have to.

btw, BIOS is all set @ default.

any suggestions would be great.

Also,
I can't get any floppy drives to work with this board at all, no matter what I do, I just get a "Floppy Failed(40)" at BIOS everytime I start up? Could it be a bad cable or a bios issue, what should I do? Is it becuase of the nvidia IDE drivers maybe?

TheGoat Eater said:
I can't get ntune's nv monitor to show cpu temp - wtf

also any good places that explain the BIOS - switched from the Asus A8V Deluxe rev.2 and it really scares me (this board's BIOS)

go get the monitoring from Jetway motherboard it work ok...

so, which program for absolute CERTAIN gets the exact temps of the CPU???? And how can we be sure?
Hope this new bios comes soon.....

i had no troubles with my floppy drive.

i am having trouble with my external burner. well its a pioneer dual layer i put in a external usb case. i used it with my laptop without any trouble. now i installed nero and tried it on my main rig. and in nero where it says selected device to burn with. the pioneer will hiccup. i mean you see it flash. im wondering if the drive is going bad. or if it the case itself. cause 9 out of 10 times it makes a coaster. if you catch it near a hiccup when you hit burn it will say device not ready and make a coaster. if you catch it just right it burns with no problems.

i think im gonna install it in my case to see if it does the same thing. least ill know which is giving me problems. unless someone had the same problem and fixed it.

hungryduck said:
so, which program for absolute CERTAIN gets the exact temps of the CPU???? And how can we be sure?
Hope this new bios comes soon.....

None of them are for certain as they all read whatever the BIOS reports.

Well, as far as my floppy not working, I had the cable in upside down. Whoops.
Hopefully EVGA will let us know which program has the most accurate readings, or give us one that works.....

Has anyone gotten nTune to display all the temps? It only shows the GPU temp for me. Speedfan does work, but I would like alternatives.

QuantumSlip said:
Has anyone gotten nTune to display all the temps? It only shows the GPU temp for me. Speedfan does work, but I would like alternatives.

Try MyGuard. It was originally built for the Jetway SLI board but it's nearly identical to the EVGA board. It works quite well.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Try MyGuard. It was originally built for the Jetway SLI board but it's nearly identical to the EVGA board. It works quite well.

Everyone keeps saying My Guard, get My Guard - The temps it has for my CPU are way off - and for Flashing the BIOS, the WinFlash isn't working right

where is the the PCI-PCI E lock and what should it be set to - looking for this as I had to lock my AGP-PCI speeds to prevent OC troubles (board in sig)

Don't know what to tell you about your CPU temps, GoatEater. I've got an A64 3700+ running stock with a Zalman 7700AlCu on it and it's at 32C idle. If you hit up the EVGA mobo forum you'll find a TON more info on this board. The latest BIOS came out in early Feb so make sure you grab that, too.

Yeah I am trying to use winflash to flash the bios and I can't get it to work - it is giving me a verify error. Also ntune flash utility isn't functional - as it is all greyed out and I can't push any buttons. Trying to use the floppy method it seemed that it didn't work as all my setting were preserved and winflash is showing a bios from january.

TheGoat Eater said:
Yeah I am trying to use winflash to flash the bios and I can't get it to work - it is giving me a verify error. Also ntune flash utility isn't functional - as it is all greyed out and I can't push any buttons. Trying to use the floppy method it seemed that it didn't work as all my setting were preserved and winflash is showing a bios from january.

Make sure you disabled the "flash protect" function in the BIOS before trying to flash it. Unless, of course, you already did that and I'm an idiot. :D

TheGoat Eater said:

The instructions on evga.com for winflash and this board are excellent :)

nTune + eVGA = NO NO NO

ok I did it with the floppy (NF41_E5.exe) but the bios is dated 1/5/06 and evga's download page says the latest is 2/3/06 so WTF? the latest .bin is NF41_E5.bin

Oh BTW I do know how to use winflash but it errors - verify error

TheGoat Eater said:
ok I did it with the floppy (NF41_E5.exe) but the bios is dated 1/5/06 and evga's download page says the latest is 2/3/06 so WTF? the latest .bin is NF41_E5.bin

Oh BTW I do know how to use winflash but it errors - verify error

Oh I've heard of this happening sometimes.... is your anti virus disabled and your bios anti virus protection disabled?

If so redownload the file and try again.

Alright, I'm going to post this over at the EVGA forums as well:

Just spoke with Mario again and he was of course exhausted from their 7900 launch. But he had some good & not as good news - he has a beta BIOS ready (good) but he's afraid that in the wrong hands it could be unstable (not so good). He has successfully tested it with a number of different RAM sticks, the only exception he could recall being Crucial Ballistix 1GB PC4000 sticks (i.e. Micron ICs) which did not remain stable with this BIOS.

So he could release it today BUT he would prefer to release it this weekend at which time he will also include a tutorial on how to use the BIOS to best suit overclocking and stability. He basically said it's in our best interest to wait for the tutorial (which should include some additional implementation software) and not risk frying our board. As he put it, it's not what you see outside that has changed, but what's underneath the hood that could have a disasterous effect on our systems should we tinker incorrectly. While this doesn't sound like the magic bullet we were all hoping for, I'd remind everyone that the vast majority of non-enthusiast end-users are probably having no problem with this mobo and it has come down to the top 10% of us who are demanding more from our nearly-free board. We have the need to tinker, so I think that we should be prepared for some drama. IMHO, anyway.

I'm supposed to call him again later today with some reactions to see how badly you guys want the beta versus how badly you want it to work safely with our systems. I voted for waiting - it's been this long, another couple days to prevent me from frying my processor is fine. Then again many of you may be able to handle the implementation on your own or don't mind the risk.

Thoughts?

(And let me reiterate how cool it is of Mario to speak directly with one of his end-users and so frankly as well. Granted, I am a total badass and it's no wonder he picked me to speak to, but it was cool of him nonetheless. :) )

I'd be thinking they would want to have one that is guaranteed to work and be stable so they dont get a bunch of tech support calls and RMA boards from a bios flash fry.

That would be my opinion.

I say wait. I dont think its a good idea to release a bios that could physically destroy hardware because proper safeguards arent in place.

My vote is also to wait for a stable BIOS. The latest BIOS is running fine on my system (I don't o/c at the moment) so I see no need to rush one out even in the o/c-ers cases. EVGA support FTW! :D

I say wait, lets not take any risks on our new X2 processors.
And make sure you tell the guy that he is being just plain awesome on how updated he is keeping the community. He is upholding the holy grail of awesome customer support, and we thank him for it!

I'm overclocking my new 170 0550 Opteron. I'm currently sitting at 1.4v + default core shift. My temps are reading between 58-60 C during duel prime torture max heat. How is this temp? From my understanding, this board is terrible at reading temps.

Back