EVGA SLi Mobo discussion thread. Come one, come all.

rob2000 said:
just got mine finally up and running with my new hard drives. so far so good. installing steam and some other stuff right now so not gamed with it yet.

boots pretty fast. 2 quick questions, it posts so fast that i dont see dual channel on,,, will it say and easily be read as my old nf2 did? i put them in both the yellow ram slots.

i bought 2 sata2 western digital drives, where would i check to see if ncq is on? drawing a blank at the moment.

my wiring is a mess, i kept all the ram, cpu, and video card are free of wires, but the bottom of the case looks like snakes wrestling, and similiar at the top. took some pics yesterday, might take some more today,

You have the RAM in the right slots, don't worry. Yes, it does say dual channel 128 bit.

misenthrope said:
yes, it is adjustable in the BIOS, by default it is set to 100%

and use the NF4 MyGuard program from Jetway's website to monitor things(the NF41 evga board is made by Jetway), get rid of speedfan
i looked in bios. i found where it gives me temps and speeds of the fans, but i couldnt change them. maybe i'm not looking in the right spot.

xxxchris03xxx said:
i looked in bios. i found where it gives me temps and speeds of the fans, but i couldnt change them. maybe i'm not looking in the right spot.

It's on that menu under "Smart FAN Configurations"

got that to work. thanks!

another question (i guess this kinda goes here) I'm assuming everyone's 7800GT came w/ quake4. when i go to install it, it wont even get throught the install wizard and it says runtime1607(?) can not install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briman1001
I finally figured out my damn instability with this board. Would Occt and prime fine but some other things would crash @265htt. Must change ht bus from auto to 600. Fixed all my problems. Now running my 3200 @ 265x10 for 2650 and ocz value vx @ 5/6 divider for 220 for 2-2-2-6-2t at 3.0 volts. 7800gt @ 500/1180. I wish I could run 1t but it will not at even 200fsb.

well yeah, you never want your total to go over 1000Mhz HTT, being under 1000 is fine too, it really doesn't affect performance at all

so 265Mhz CPU * 5 was 1325Mhz HTT, its a wonder it even posted

at 200-250Mhz CPU set HTT x4(800Mhz in NF41 BIOS)...250*4=1000
at 250-300Mhz CPU set HTT x3(600Mhz in NF41 BIOS)...300*3=900
at 300-350Mhz CPU set HTT x2(400Mhz in NF41 BIOS)...350*2=700

matter of fact, i have run a 3x HTT multi at 200Mhz CPU and it made no difference, but as a general rule of thumb, you just dont want to go over 1000 for maximum stability

MY point here was that letting the mobo decide the HT bus multiplier = BAD.
I thought as long as I leave it on auto it should be fine. Well from my searching at 265ht it uses the X4 multi. This was my problem because when I went in and changed to 600 or x3 my instability basically left and it has been much more stable. Dont trust the auto setting. It could be screwing you. And thank god for the myguard font size tip because mine looks the same exact screwed way but I adjusted the font size and now it is tight.

briman1001 said:
And thank god for the myguard font size tip because mine looks the same exact screwed way but I adjusted the font size and now it is tight.
Glad I actually helped someone...kinda, anyway. But now I wsih I could get my 120dpi setting back. My icons/fonts are damn small. I need better eyes for a 21" widescreen.

Just got this board last week. Hoping to get some good results from it over my neo2. Parts I have already are:

Venice 3000+
1Gb kit of Pqi PC3200
WD 80GB sata
SPARKLE FSP550PLG-SLI ATX12V/ EPS12V 550W
BFG 6800GTOC
H20 cooled with a Maze4,BIX2 and a swifty 650 pump.

Already have the latest bios/drivers and utilities burned on a CD to help with the smooth installation. Just waiting on the psu and VC. I know the psu will be here today so i have an ati X300 pcie video card just to get her running. I'll keep you all posted :D

Nebulous said:
Just got this board last week. Hoping to get some good results from it over my neo2. Parts I have already are:

Venice 3000+
1Gb kit of Pqi PC3200
WD 80GB sata
SPARKLE FSP550PLG-SLI ATX12V/ EPS12V 550W
BFG 6800GTOC
H20 cooled with a Maze4,BIX2 and a swifty 650 pump.

Already have the latest bios/drivers and utilities burned on a CD to help with the smooth installation. Just waiting on the psu and VC. I know the psu will be here today so i have an ati X300 pcie video card just to get her running. I'll keep you all posted :D

Best of luck! :)

xxxchris03xxx said:
got that to work. thanks!

another question (i guess this kinda goes here) I'm assuming everyone's 7800GT came w/ quake4. when i go to install it, it wont even get throught the install wizard and it says runtime1607(?) can not install.

Throw this question into the Games section. I didn't get Q4 with my combo but I ordered my combo in August '05.

PCBliss said:
So, you paid $130 for this board?
I beleive that is the retail price, though I say I paid $50 seeing as how I overpaid $50 for the 7800GT that came with the "free" mobo.

Yes i know, i was asking Nebulous if he paid the full retail $130.... This is a good board but I dont think its worth that. Id say its definetly worth the 60-70 i paid for it though.

Anyone have this board and an opteron 144 overclocked to 2.2ghz or greater? If so, exactly what memory did you accomplish your overclock with? I haven't made a purchase yets, but I can get a retail 144 for $130-$150 and if it gets 3700+/148 speeds I'll be happy, if it goes higher that's good too.

Just set this up about a week ago and I'm noticing some pretty slow transfer speeds between drives. I have a 200GB Seagate 7200.7 on SATA channel 1, a 250GB Seagate 7200.9 SATA2 on channel 2, a 300GB Seagate 7200.9 SATA2 on channel 3, and 2 WD 180GBs on the IDE channels. Between drives I would guess I'm averaging 20MB/s, it takes about a minute to copy a 700MB ISO from one drive to another. It took a full minute to unRAR a 280MB file to another drive. I'm running the latest NVIDIA drivers, 5.52. According to the controller properties for each drive, all drives are being recognized correctly and read/write caching is enabled. I tried disabling NCQ and write caching to no effect. HDTach and the speed test built into the controller properties both return good results, good burst and sustained speeds, nothing unusual. None of the drives are excessively fragmented. Sorry for the essay of information, but too much is better than too little, right? Any ideas?

Redrock5.9 said:
Just set this up about a week ago and I'm noticing some pretty slow transfer speeds between drives. I have a 200GB Seagate 7200.7 on SATA channel 1, a 250GB Seagate 7200.9 SATA2 on channel 2, a 300GB Seagate 7200.9 SATA2 on channel 3, and 2 WD 180GBs on the IDE channels. Between drives I would guess I'm averaging 20MB/s, it takes about a minute to copy a 700MB ISO from one drive to another. It took a full minute to unRAR a 280MB file to another drive. I'm running the latest NVIDIA drivers, 5.52. According to the controller properties for each drive, all drives are being recognized correctly and read/write caching is enabled. I tried disabling NCQ and write caching to no effect. HDTach and the speed test built into the controller properties both return good results, good burst and sustained speeds, nothing unusual. None of the drives are excessively fragmented. Sorry for the essay of information, but too much is better than too little, right? Any ideas?

Are those the IDE drivers ? I think youre better off with the ones that come with windows.

SLinG said:
Anyone have this board and an opteron 144 overclocked to 2.2ghz or greater? If so, exactly what memory did you accomplish your overclock with? I haven't made a purchase yets, but I can get a retail 144 for $130-$150 and if it gets 3700+/148 speeds I'll be happy, if it goes higher that's good too.

Ive got an opteron 148 running at 2.9ghz?

Juic3 said:
Are those the IDE drivers ? I think youre better off with the ones that come with windows.
I'm using Nvidia's drivers for both the IDE and SATA controllers. In my experience, the manufacturer's drivers provide better performance than the default drivers provided with Windows. Regardless, the Nvidia drivers are required for the SATA controller as Windows does not have driver support for it AND I am experiencing the poor transfer speeds between SATA2 drives.

PCBliss said:
Yes i know, i was asking Nebulous if he paid the full retail $130.... This is a good board but I dont think its worth that. Id say its definetly worth the 60-70 i paid for it though.

No, I got it in a trade ;)

Ok, i got good news and bad news.

The good:

Got it to boot up on the first try. Fresh os install along with the latest Nvidia platform drivers and all windows updates including the latest bios.

Bad news:

Using an Ati x300 video card for the time being untill I get the 6800GT I bought from a member here.

1) Installed the latest Ati cats and no sooner I try to get a web page open the window will freeze. Mouse is still active but for a few seconds befor it also freezes, then I get the black screen but no reboot :confused: I have to manually reboot the machine. :rolleyes:

2) Running PQI Turbo PC3200 1gb kit, i cannot pass 208 FSB no matter what vdimm or timmings or divider I use. Swapped to a gb kit of mushkin with winbond BH5's and it fails to boot with default timmings of 2-2-2-5. I have to loosen timming to 2.5-3-3-7 in order to get into windows.Will not run 1T at all

3) Stayed up till 4am formatting, reinstalling the OS, trying to get this thing to run normally. I'm able to run stock speed on my venice 3000+ with 2.5-3-3-6 on the PQI crap ram, but no video drivers.

Temps on cpu idle are 27c. Don't know about load temps as i cannot get this thing to run anything at all to stress tess.

It may be too early to to actually submit my opinion on this board as it's new to the circuit, but right now as it stands i'm not happy :mad:

*Update*

Found out what was causing the video problem. Apparently this particular board and ATi don't play well together. No matter what drivers I used ( original or modded cats) I still have the same problem. Yet with no video drivers installed the board runs flawless.

Also I swapped out ram modules again. Using the Mushkin PC3200 1GB kit with winbond BH5 I managed to get the Venice 3000+ Clocked to 2.7Ghz with 1.65vcore and 3.25vdimm. Timmings are 2-2-2-5 with 2T and Bank Interleave enabled.

http://imagehosting.overhauledpc.com/files/10/Finally.JPG

Hey everyone, I've been having a problem with a system I built recently for a friend.
The system consists of:
AMD 3700+ San Diego w/ Scythe Ninja + Yateloon
eVGA NF4 SLi Motherboard
eVGA 7800GT w/ 81.98 drivers (nVidia drivers not the moded ones)
2GB Patriot (2x1GB) PC3200
Antec P150
Antec NeoHE 550W PSU
Dell 2405FPW

Everything is stock, nothing is OC'ed at all.

When playing any games the game will start to artifact and then it'll just freeze. I have the video card in the single PCI-E lane and the memory is in the 2 blues slots (if I remember correclty, I have to look again). It would play COD1 just fine until I upgraded the motherboard BIOS to the newest ones (thinking that would help) and then now that would artifact.

I checked the temp of the video card, it would idle at 42C and load around 56-60C. The artifacting doesn't happen all the time, but most of the time. I haven't been able to run 3DMark06, but I will try tonight and see what results I get.

The rest of the computer works beautifully, but when playing games it artifacts and freezes, and so far its done this on COD2, King Kong, and COD1.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Oh if you're wondering how I checked the temps, I ran RTHDRIBL (the HDR test) for a couple of minutes and watched the temps. I'll run some more stress tests tonight..

a lot of people have had problems with artifacting. most i seen rma'd the video card. usually if you get it with a brand new card, its bad and needs replacing. id contact evga and see what they said or try to get it swapped out where you bought it. i spend to much time playing with drivers when i had a bad card. now does not mean the card is instantly bad. try 4-5 different drivers to see if it happens. if the problem keeps happening you have a bad card. im pretty positive.

nextime you see the artifact hit the printscreen key, then open mspaint and edit paste it. and save it. id like to see how bad it is.

you could run 3dmark 05 and see if it happens there. unless your card is not getting enough power. make sure the video card has nothing else on the plug from the psu. but i think its a defective card, i know not what you and your friend want to here.

my ti4600 was bad out of the box, and so was my fx5900xt , although it somewhat worked.

i can show you examples of what it was doing if you like.

has anyone come across another program that can be used to monitor temps and such. i'm using myGuard, and currently OC'd to 2.45 from 2.0. it reads voltage right, but says my temps around idle are like 30-33 C. (i have stock cooling, with the side of my case open) but maybe my computer is just that good, but i dont think so. i would like to check them with another program.

xxxchris03xxx said:
has anyone come across another program that can be used to monitor temps and such. i'm using myGuard, and currently OC'd to 2.45 from 2.0. it reads voltage right, but says my temps around idle are like 30-33 C. (i have stock cooling, with the side of my case open) but maybe my computer is just that good, but i dont think so. i would like to check them with another program.

this board is know to read low on temps. it tells me im idling at 25C with my opteron usually, no matter what program is being used

PCBliss said:
this board is know to read low on temps. it tells me im idling at 25C with my opteron usually, no matter what program is being used

You may be surprised to learn that the opposite is true for the vast majority of cpus. The temps are way high. On some Opterons (like yours obviously) it reads low. Go figure! ;)

Just finished building my system:

BFG 7800GT
AMD 4200+ @ 2.35ghz
EVGA SLI MBoard NF41 Rev 2.3
2 Gig RAM

The EVGA board is awesome and there is not a single problem with it. My cpu idles at 39c with a coolermaster stock cooler. Games run great, overclocking is hard because of my sh1ty ddr 400 ram but nonetheless, the board is awesome and my computer is fast. My temp readings are accurate because I have another temp sensor in the computer so the EVGA Board/CPU sensors are definitely working properly. The EVGA logo was easy to get rid off, by disabling it in the BIOS. My experience with the board has been excellent.

I tried overclocking and I ran into some difficulties. When changing the HTT to 800 or 600 and my cpu Clock at 218 / DRAM at 166mhz. My system became unstable and I would get Write Delays in Windows. After much fooling around with the settings. I found the most stable setting where I didn't get a Memory Dump failure or Write delay was.

CPU Clock = 214 = 2.35ghz
HTT = AUTO
DRAM = Auto = 214mhz

This was the most stable overclock, and I was even able to defragment my HD without any errors and its been running stable since. I read somewhere on the Interent that your not suppose to go over 1100 for the HTT when everybody on this forum says 1000. I've been running it for a few days now with out any error, or Write Delay. I even checked Event Viewer and haven't seen one error.

The auto settings are essentially the same as default settings; I've had a lot of issues with them.

After upgraging from my single core A64 to a dual core I can no longer rely on the stock "auto" SPD settings of the ram when trying to overclock my CPU. I have to manually change the ram to 2.5-3-3-8 in order for the system to post above 2.6ghz using a divider that keeps the ram below 200mhz. I've read that there are hidded ram settings that the EVGA board doesn't allow manual adjustment of and they are essentially set too agressively. I think the EVGA board is reading these hidden settings incorrectly going by SPD for various types of ram and this might be why you're having memory dump errors.

I was having the same problem as you before though. Sometimes I could get it to post changing the HTT link to x4 (800mhz with the EVGA bios; which above the 1000mhz threshhold) same with the auto setting (1000mhz, running at something like 1200mhz effective) and same with x3 (600mhz in bios). Basically random settings with the HTT would work sometimes and not others. I would recieve memory dump errors etc as well.

i'm not sure if I've gotten my system 100% stable yet since I've only had a couple of days to fool around with this chip but prime95 is stable on the CPU, I'm not sure about the memory. But I haven't recieved any crashed while before I'd get them every 20-40 minutes.

And as a word of relaxed caution. For me, having the HTT break 1000mhz has always caused an issue at some point. Such as random crashes to desktop and the resetting of games (with nothing reported in event viewer), even with my single core A64.

The good news is evga is meant to be releasing a bios some time this week that's meant to help with the hidden memory timings.

acroig said:
You may be surprised to learn that the opposite is true for the vast majority of cpus. The temps are way high. On some Opterons (like yours obviously) it reads low. Go figure! ;)

My Clawhammer at 2700 checks in at a paltry 18* C at full load
:p Nice thing is that it IS running cool, I just somehow think ambient is a bit optimistic, unless this CM Aquagate Mini 120 really is great.

Shottah_king said:
Just finished building my system:

BFG 7800GT
AMD 4200+ @ 2.35ghz
EVGA SLI MBoard NF41 Rev 2.3
2 Gig RAM

The EVGA board is awesome and there is not a single problem with it. My cpu idles at 39c with a coolermaster stock cooler. Games run great, overclocking is hard because of my sh1ty ddr 400 ram but nonetheless, the board is awesome and my computer is fast. My temp readings are accurate because I have another temp sensor in the computer so the EVGA Board/CPU sensors are definitely working properly. The EVGA logo was easy to get rid off, by disabling it in the BIOS. My experience with the board has been excellent.

I tried overclocking and I ran into some difficulties. When changing the HTT to 800 or 600 and my cpu Clock at 218 / DRAM at 166mhz. My system became unstable and I would get Write Delays in Windows. After much fooling around with the settings. I found the most stable setting where I didn't get a Memory Dump failure or Write delay was.

CPU Clock = 214 = 2.35ghz
HTT = AUTO
DRAM = Auto = 214mhz

This was the most stable overclock, and I was even able to defragment my HD without any errors and its been running stable since. I read somewhere on the Interent that your not suppose to go over 1100 for the HTT when everybody on this forum says 1000. I've been running it for a few days now with out any error, or Write Delay. I even checked Event Viewer and haven't seen one error.

Just to let you know dont put your HTT at AUTO but set it at 800MHZ if you go over 250mhz FSB then lower it to 600mhz. It will be more stable like this.

Kil4Thril said:
My Clawhammer at 2700 checks in at a paltry 18* C at full load
:p Nice thing is that it IS running cool, I just somehow think ambient is a bit optimistic, unless this CM Aquagate Mini 120 really is great.

The temps on this aboard are all over the place. My 3700+ is at 42c but does 60c at full load on a Thermaltake Volcano. :confused:

yo acroig....

Does the latest BIOS update provide any better overclocking results? Any bug fixes?

Anime_Fan said:
yo acroig....

Does the latest BIOS update provide any better overclocking results? Any bug fixes?

Well we're all very hopeful. It's not out yet (the E45 BIOS just adds support for the FX60) but thanks to mudpark and gravy it gave the EVGA engineers a place to start the fixes. Stay tuned!

BTW, mudpark was not able to overclock any higher on his new DFI than he did with the NF41. If they fix the many TCCD RAM issues I'll be very happy.

i thought is aw this listed b4.

but isn't their a Jetway part that allows Optical SPDIF Output?

im running a audigy 2 right now but having some problems with it.

Back