EVGA RTX 3090/3080 FTW3 Ultra conversion to Hybrid

Has anyone used one of these kits yet? Curious if I should pull the trigger for my 3090. I am having a hard time finding reviews/benchmarks of anyone before/after.

I did but my card ended up dying during the process, not sure what I did but the card didn't function when I was done, it also didn't function when I put the stock cooler back on.

It did look good though,
IMG_0819.JPEG

Have used the hybrid kits on two cards: a Titan X and 2080 Ti. If you were on the stock cooler I would say without a doubt to do it. The FTW3 cooler in another question, though. Looking on the EVGA forums you can probably find more feedback from users who upgraded with the FTW3 Hybrid kit. I will say to be prepared to have a lot of patience.

Finding info has been hard. I ordered it any way so we'll see. At worse the temps should be better.

I have a Kraken G12 cooling my 1080Ti with a EVGA 240 AIO.

Here's a video of someone doing it with a 3080 with a little modding.

The G12 is around $30. I got the AIO as refurbished from ebay for less than $50. I did use a copper shim although I may have been able to get away without it. I added stick-on heatsinks to the memory and VRMs. Probably $10 there. I also bought some tiny screws to put the backplate on without the stock cooler. Not sure what may be a different issue with a 3080. 3090 would be a separate issue with memory on the back of the card, but probably no worse than stock.

If I get this hybrid for my 3090 FT3 Ultra, can I expect to be able to OC the card with a higher potential than factory and would this net me a few more fps in demanding games at high res?

I did but my card ended up dying during the process, not sure what I did but the card didn't function when I was done, it also didn't function when I put the stock cooler back on.

It did look good though,
View attachment 357908
Maybe the cooler didn't cool some important parts one way or another and died from heat?

If I get this hybrid for my 3090 FT3 Ultra, can I expect to be able to OC the card with a higher potential than factory and would this net me a few more fps in demanding games at high res?
You'll still be limited by the power limit, so not really. Keeping the card cooler will allow the card to hit a higher Boost clock more consistently, though.

Is it easy to install this Hybrid. Just watched a video on youtube, it doesn't look too complicated.

And did peoples card die because of lack of cooling on critical parts, or is this hybrid good all over?

Reactions: noko
like this
Is it easy to install this Hybrid. Just watched a video on youtube, it doesn't look too complicated.

And did peoples card die because of lack of cooling on critical parts, or is this hybrid good all over?
My experience with them in the past has been good. No issues whatsoever. Most of the failures probably come from user error when installing it. Like I said above, you just need a lot of patience.

Ok so how many ppl here have done the hybrid and not encountered issues with overheating any components, or how many here have had their hybrid cards fail?

The only issue I had was the VRAM isn't cooled quite as well as with the air cooler due to the heat spreader plate it uses (the theory anyway). Common observation, not just mine. Putting thermal pads under the backplate (this is a 3080ti) got it back to about where it was with the air cooler. Core temps are 15-20C lower and quite a bit quieter.

Been rocking an EVGA 3090 Ultra with a hybrid kit for almost a year and I’ve been very happy with the performance of the kit but it’s had its share of issues.

the GPU side fan took a shit recently and started making all kinds of noise. Since I purchased it second hand, I had no warranty and just replaced it with a new kit (which is working perfect btw). Things happen and don’t really blame evga or the kit on that.

the other major issue I had isn’t necessarily the fault of the kit, but more so EVGAs firmware. I got this annoying issue where the fans would ramp up to 100% when a heavy load was initially applied to the GPU (regardless of fan curve) which was annoying and loud. I ultimately used adaptors to control all of the GPU fans off of my motherboard headers which fixed the problem.

I got it dialed in so the machine is nearly silent and stays very cool (my max gpu temps are maybe 65* when it’s getting pushed hard but typically much much lower). The VRAM does run warm under heavy load, but nothing to be concerned about (high 70’s/low 80’s). I added some heatsyncs to the back of the backplate for some added cooling which dropped them a few degrees

Converted my 3080 FTW3 Ultra to a hybrid last fall. Running great.

EVGA 3090 XC3, Hybrid kit -> Cooler memory and GPU and unlocked performance. For the price it well exceeded my expectations.

Back