EVGA Quietly Changes Warranty Policy

And why would they be? They are not designed for that type of use.

A warranty is not a free pass to abuse something, it's to protect against defects.

no matter what it is, using a product for other than its intended purpose and breaking it ,is not a defect and should not be covered under warranty

Who is to say what the intended purpose is? How would you enforce it? Am I suddenly going to have a limit to the number of hours I can run my video card before the warranty runs out (3 years or 1000 hours whichever comes first)? Are we going to start harping on Backblaze for using non-enterprise hard drives in an enterprise environment and say that their data is useless because they weren't used for their intended purpose?

Who is to say what the intended purpose is? How would you enforce it? Am I suddenly going to have a limit to the number of hours I can run my video card before the warranty runs out (3 years or 1000 hours whichever comes first)? Are we going to start harping on Backblaze for using non-enterprise hard drives in an enterprise environment and say that their data is useless because they weren't used for their intended purpose?

Its intended purpose is to play video games. No one plays video games 24/7.

if buy a car and use it for a taxi or a police car.., your warranty is different ...this is the same thing IMHO

Its intended purpose is to play video games. No one plays video games 24/7.

if buy a car and use it for a taxi or a police car.., your warranty is different ...this is the same thing IMHO

It's intended purpose is to process calculations. If these calculations are used to render video game screens or crypto nonsense, it doesn't really matter. I don't see where eVGA (or anyone) can really tell you that you can't do something with your video card if you own it.

(Assuming no physical abuse, like using it for a shovel or to play lawn darts.)

It's intended purpose is to process calculations. If these calculations are used to render video game screens or crypto nonsense, it doesn't really matter. I don't see where eVGA (or anyone) can really tell you that you can't do something with your video card if you own it.

they really can't tell you what to do with it.

sure that breaks some kind of consumer protection law.

Is there an argument that using cards for mining is commercial use, whereas using them for gaming is consumer use?

Yes it does matter...an F150 is designed to move stuff around, but put 20,000 lbs of rocks in it and then try and warranty your suspension.

They make mining cards for mining...they are designed for the loads and use.

In any event, I dont really care, I dont buy used so I have no skin in this game. but trying to make EVGA out as the bad guy is a bit disingenuous

The problem with receipts for customers now is that the ink fades over time. Any electronic receipt can be accused of forgery. The original owner could show how it was purchased with debit/credit card, but what about the second owner...

Yes it does matter...an F150 is designed to move stuff around, but put 20,000 lbs of rocks in it and then try and warranty your suspension.

They make mining cards for mining...they are designed for the loads and use.

In any event, I dont really care, I dont buy used so I have no skin in this game. but trying to make EVGA out as the bad guy is a bit disingenuous

Respectfully, I disagree. eVGA making RMA's harder should make them appear to be the "bad guy." You're assuming only a cryptominer would try to make a warranty claim. What about some poor shmuck who scraped together enough cash to buy a used card, buys eVGA because of the warranty, and then gets denied a warranty claim because of a lack of paperwork instead of just going off the serial number.

Respectfully, I disagree. eVGA making RMA's harder should make them appear to be the "bad guy." You're assuming only a cryptominer would try to make a warranty claim. What about some poor shmuck who scraped together enough cash to buy a used card, buys eVGA because of the warranty, and then gets denied a warranty claim because of a lack of paperwork instead of just going off the serial number.
Said schmuck needs to do his due diligence when buying to make sure that he's going to be able to claim on the warranty.

Who the fuck keeps their receipt or invoice for every single computer part they buy? Warranty should be time based, not require a piece of paper everyone throws out shortly after buying the item.

Most people aren't interested in being a receipt accountant.

This isn't a realistic requirement...

Mr. BloodyIron Id like to introduce you to Mr. e-mail.

Who the fuck keeps their receipt or invoice for every single computer part they buy? Warranty should be time based, not require a piece of paper everyone throws out shortly after buying the item.

I do, lol
g15-price.jpg

Said schmuck needs to do his due diligence when buying to make sure that he's going to be able to claim on the warranty.

The point is that the company made it harder to make a warranty claim. Why are people defending this? It's not like the price is going down because they saved money on warranty claims. You're paying the same money for less. When they moved from lifetime warranty to 3 years at least the price decreased to reflect the warranty difference.

The point is that the company made it harder to make a warranty claim. Why are people defending this? It's not like the price is going down because they saved money on warranty claims. You're paying the same money for less. When they moved from lifetime warranty to 3 years at least the price decreased to reflect the warranty difference.
I'm not defending or attacking this, just pointing out that if you buy something without doing your research then you might regret it.

I'm not defending or attacking this, just pointing out that if you buy something without doing your research then you might regret it.

I have the perfect example of how this is bad. I did my research, bought a 1050ti in dec from a guy in town based on the warranty and not needing anything to start an rma if something goes wrong. I never registered this card, and now it’s warranty is in limbo because of this change. The guy is gone, I can’t get a invoice, so it my word against evga as to when this transaction happened.

I am all fine with this move as long as it only effects all cards that where manufactured on or after May 25 2018. At that point, it is 100% on the user to know the warranty. But anything before that had a differential warranty.

I have the perfect example of how this is bad. I did my research, bought a 1050ti in dec from a guy in town based on the warranty and not needing anything to start an rma if something goes wrong. I never registered this card, and now it’s warranty is in limbo because of this change. The guy is gone, I can’t get a invoice, so it my word against evga as to when this transaction happened.

I am all fine with this move as long as it only effects all cards that where manufactured on or after May 25 2018. At that point, it is 100% on the user to know the warranty. But anything before that had a differential warranty.
So your concern is that because you've not registered the card prior to 25 May 2018, you might get an RMA rejected by EVGA on the basis that the card could have been bought after that date, when the second-user warranty terms changed? I can see how that would be a concern, tbh. Did the original purchaser register the card, because if so then I'm fairly sure EVGA would be able to confirm when it was bought from the serial number.

And just to clarify, my posts weren't intended to read as some sort of smart-arse, "serves-you-right if something bad happens and you didn't plan for it" moralising - I was just trying to point out that you can minimise (although not entirely eliminate) the probability of being left high and dry by doing a bit of research earlier. But I concede that in your position, the landscape has been shifted and it might be to your detriment through no fault of your own.

Have you tried registering your card and seeing if that flags up the original purchase as being before 25 May 2018? Hopefully you'll not need to make a warranty claim, and will enjoy your card for a long time to come.

I get what you are saying, I don't keep all my receipts, But if I spend 500 to 700 on anything ( gtx1080). YES, I do keep the receipt....No disrespect meant...It just seems like common sense to me. I am not wealthy and that is a sizable amount of green to not keep a record.....Just Sayin. Also, they cannot tell how long an item sat on a store shelf or how long you have owned it without a receipt.
If the item was purchased online ( Newegg or Amazon), all that is necessary is to go to your order history and print a copy.

Well, at least there had finally been a bit more clarity added to this issue by an EVGA Tech

“That was accurate at the time of that post. As of now all Cross-Ship RMAs require an invoice. Any product shipped from EVGA or purchased after 5/25/2018 also require an invoice for any RMA service (This includes if the product was a RMA product on or after 5/25/2018 and has changed ownership, as in outlined in the current warranty terms ). Products shipped before 5/25/2018 and requesting a Standard RMA do not at this time require an invoice.”

That clears up my worry but he does leave the door open for needing an invoice at a later date for those cards.

Either way it’s good to know that I’m still ok on my cards and if I sell them, the next owner will be ok.

Has everything to do with EVGA warranty. The graphic cards were clearly not built well enough to deal with crypto-mining, and now EVGA is afraid of the incoming swarm of warranty repairs from 2nd hand purchases.
I'm tired of you repeating this point and not being corrected by the fact that no company honors a consumer warranty for commercial use.

Eventually this will split the market where commercial cards retain 1 yr warranty whereas home use retains 5 yr warranties. Currently, the commercial cards are limited to 3 years (5 yrs original owner, 3 years if not, which seems to be what the receipt requirement is more geared towards rather than *eliminating* warranty claims), which is pretty damn good comparatively to other commercial use warranties.

Also, someone else complained about private information on their invoices and I'm curious what information is on there that wouldn't normally be in your PayPal account? Unless you're using fake information privacy over your invoice seems like a B.S. or overly paranoid concern.

I guess this is one pro of living in a rural state, one must order almost every single PC component or take a 9 hour round trip drive to the nearest Microcenter. You just search your order histories for your broken component(s) and get the invoices there. Very easy.

Same, not to mention most online retailers keep the record for you. For Brick & Mortars it only takes a minute to snap a picture or scan it to yourself for historical purposes.

I still have the receipt for this CD I bought in 1991,
37856916_2011941438824820_4276600259200679936_o.jpg

For products over 100$ I keep all my mine. Maybe you should learn too.. It's quite helpful.
thread is a month an a half old.

However i keep my receipts. All my games i have the receipt. consoles, peripherals. Only time i dont is if its from newegg or amazon as they keep all your orders on your account. If i buy it at a brick and mortar then i keep the receipt.

Back