EVGA P2 or Corsair HXi

N1GHTRA1N

Gawd
I'm looking at the following PSU.

I've also listed the prices in Canadian dollars. Can you guys help me decide? My current Corsair HX1000W is stating to cause me issues, the voltages on 3.3v have been running at 3v for about a year but now the 5v is running at 6v and the 12v sometimes goes close to 14v, so I figure it's on its way out.

EVGA P2 850W - $175
EVGA P2 1000W - $250
Corsair HX850i - $230
Corsair HX1000i - $250

My system signature is below. I'll likely replace the CPU/MB/RAM in next six months. Eyeing X99 setup.

Are you dead set on those specific power supplies? If I could sway your mind towards a BeQuiet! Unit for about the same price. I would definitely take BeQuiet or seasonic over over corsair/channel well any day. The EVGA units are rather nice, though, and that gets my vote if you only want the ones listed above.

I'm not dead set on those. It is just that EVGA and Corsair are what I've used mostly. I've also used Enermax and NZXT which I liked and are in use in other machines.

I'm still debating between if 850w is enough or if I should stick with 1000w. I draw upto 750 from the wall now, more when I was running 6970's instead of 970's.

Provide me some options and I'll look at them.

I just paid less than $250 for the evga p2 1200w that got a perfect score on jonnyguru. Get that one, 10 yr warranty too

I have the HX850i and it has been a great unit, I got it because I can't stand the finish on the EVGA units. Any of those power supplies will be great for what you need. However, I'm not sure that you need a 1000w unit. 850w should be more than enough.

I just paid less than $250 for the evga p2 1200w that got a perfect score on jonnyguru. Get that one, 10 yr warranty too

Yeah. I considered that but it is $305 here in Canada. I'm also sure I don't need 1200w, I'm think 850w is enough but still considering sticking with 1000w.

I'm hoping to pay $250 CAD or less.

I also recommend the EVGA. I went with EVGA for my workstation. I would get more power then you need right now. The power supply deteriorates over time and does not perform as well and you might want to get a power hungry video card down the line.

Anyone have any opinion on the Corsair Link function? Is it worth using at all?

How does HX and AX compare overall, I'd consider an AX if I could get the right price, or am I still better off with the EVGA?

How does HX and AX compare overall, I'd consider an AX if I could get the right price, or am I still better off with the EVGA?

I wouldn't pay for corsair link for a power supply but that's just me

I'm not dead set on those. It is just that EVGA and Corsair are what I've used mostly. I've also used Enermax and NZXT which I liked and are in use in other machines.

I'm still debating between if 850w is enough or if I should stick with 1000w. I draw upto 750 from the wall now, more when I was running 6970's instead of 970's.

Provide me some options and I'll look at them.

I was actually thinking about picking up a unit from BeQuiet! And selling my current PSU. But here this is what I would get, a little pricey, it top quality.
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?i...gclid=CIuu8M7wnsgCFVQXHwodHyQKaQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
As for the one 2 star feedback, that can happen to any unit from anywhere, and people are much more likely to post their negative feedback than their positive feedback.

I was actually thinking about picking up a unit from BeQuiet! And selling my current PSU. But here this is what I would get, a little pricey, it top quality.
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?i...gclid=CIuu8M7wnsgCFVQXHwodHyQKaQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
As for the one 2 star feedback, that can happen to any unit from anywhere, and people are much more likely to post their negative feedback than their positive feedback.

I looked into the be quiet. They are very hard to get in Canada and priced very high. I also really want to get a fully modular designed PSU at this point.

I looked into the be quiet. They are very hard to get in Canada and priced very high. I also really want to get a fully modular designed PSU at this point.

Yes that was the issue I faced getting my BeQuiet products. Another good option would be either a Seasonic X 1000w or even better but more expensive is their Snow Silent 1050w, but you have to like white for that unit, as they call it snow for a reason :)
I have just never been a fan of Channel Well, but those EVGA units are nice. They are made by super flower I believe, who have been known to make quality units

I am working my way through all of the available software programs at the moment so not all have published. So, without being able to point to issues with any other than the ones that were in the last article, I would simply say all of the software solutions have issues and, while maturing, there is still a long way for them to go. Each one has their own unique issues and so if you pick one you will have to pick one based on which issues you can live with and which you can't.

How are you measuring those voltages? Is it through software or a DMM? If it's through software, know that software is notoriously inaccurate, and you should verify it with a DMM.

The original HX1000, if I recall correctly, is a 80+ silver unit. That means it typically has efficiency around 85%. 750 at the wall is about 640 watts on the PSU side, or less. Also keep in mind that the cheap wall outlet monitors can be notoriously inaccurate with active PFC PSUs as well.

All that said, I would pick the P2 over the HX-i. Excellent Superflower unit.

Corsair has the best warranty support by a mile but the H series seems to have coil whine more often than not.

Superflower Leadex 850w TITANIUM is probably the best right now. No reviews yet.

Corsair has the best warranty support by a mile but the H series seems to have coil whine more often than not.

Superflower Leadex 850w TITANIUM is probably the best right now. No reviews yet.

their warranty support isn't better than EVGA. they are both top notch but I'd put Evga support over any other company

How are you measuring those voltages? Is it through software or a DMM? If it's through software, know that software is notoriously inaccurate, and you should verify it with a DMM.

The original HX1000, if I recall correctly, is a 80+ silver unit. That means it typically has efficiency around 85%. 750 at the wall is about 640 watts on the PSU side, or less. Also keep in mind that the cheap wall outlet monitors can be notoriously inaccurate with active PFC PSUs as well.

All that said, I would pick the P2 over the HX-i. Excellent Superflower unit.

I measured with software and confirmed with DMM. The DMM is about 2-3% lower than the software but still very close.

As for the power draw, I'm getting that information from my APC UPS.

My HX1000w doesn't have any logo for 80Plus. I purchased it 6+ years ago. I believe at the time people said it would pass 80Plus certification but wasn't done yet. I know newer models were 80Plus Silver, but I don't know if they changed any internals or not (probably not)

Thanks for the input. I decided to buy a EVGA P2 1200, just looks too good to pass up. It was a bit more than I was looking to spend but I think it'll be worth it.

EVGA_banner.jpg

I would never choose a CWT unit over a Super Flower leadex regardless of how good the HXi is.
EVGA is putting more effort into the PSU market and deserves your money more than Corsair does.

I would never choose a CWT unit over a Super Flower leadex regardless of how good the HXi is.
EVGA is putting more effort into the PSU market and deserves your money more than Corsair does.

Yeah. I agree. I thought originally that the i meant digital in the HX1000i but apparently the only truly digital Corsair PSU is the AX1500i, which is overkill for my needs and the price is crazy. If the AX1500i was cheaper I probably would have went with that but I think the EVGA Super Nova P2 1200W will serve me well and be a nice upgrade from my 6.5 year old HX1000W.

Could have gone for EVGA G2 1300 Watts for 50+ less. However, the P2 is also a great choice. I am very happy with my EVGA compared to the HX1050 I had which was one noisy mofo on crack.

Excellent PSU;) ,
but it must have been a tough work to install it in this tower i imagine!!:p

Excellent PSU;) ,
but it must have been a tough work to install it in this tower i imagine!!:p

Yeah, it wasn't easy. I love my PC-V1010 and I've used it for years. My only wish is some better cutouts for cables and top fans/radiator mount.

The EVGA cables are a little shorter on SATA/Molex making them a little more difficult to install but the most challenging part was that the MB/CPU cables are much thicker than my Corsair power supply. Those were hard to manage. I wish my CPU cable was more hidden but there isn't much I can do. When routing the way I used to it obstructs the video card and the fan catches on it. Still it could look worse. I'll probably consolidate drives when I rebuild/upgrade again but that won't make much of a difference. If I do get a new case I'll cut back to a single optical drive for sure. I may consider a PC-V1000 or a PC-V2120 but right now neither are good enough for me to upgrade. I don't really see cases I wish I had, I guess that goes to show how much I love my V1010.

My HX850 just died. I am sending it in because it has a 7 year warranty and because the HX series is long gone, they will probably send me a new HX850i.

Mine was working but while playing Mad Max or other games it would reboot out of nowhere. I took it to frys to have them test it. I was told the voltages were good but the 24 pin was sending a dead signal to the motherboard. I was told it shouldn't even boot up. Good look to ya but if it is under warranty, put in a claim.

My HX850 just died. I am sending it in because it has a 7 year warranty and because the HX series is long gone, they will probably send me a new HX850i.

Mine was working but while playing Mad Max or other games it would reboot out of nowhere. I took it to frys to have them test it. I was told the voltages were good but the 24 pin was sending a dead signal to the motherboard. I was told it shouldn't even boot up. Good look to ya but if it is under warranty, put in a claim.

My HX1000w had a 5 year warranty. It is 6.5 years old

I'm looking for a new PSU, preferably white colored for my planned new white/black build with a NZXT H440 white case (new edition) (although black is still an option obviously)

I'm really puzzled what to go for.

I've got a Corsair HX750 now and my setup:

i5-4670K @ 4.3GHz
G-Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR3-1866 9-10-9-28
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @ 1500MHz+ core clock
ASRock Extreme6 Z87
1x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
6x HDDs
planning to buy a EVO 850 500GB SSD soon and probably upgrade to either Intel Kaby Lake or at the very least Cannonlake depending on the performance.

Price: around $150 (130~$170) / 120 ~ 160€.

Would prefer fully modular and at least fairly silent and something with really stable low ripple (<10mV territory, 12V rail ok up to 15mV or so in worst case scenarios) and something KNOWN not to cause additional coil whine issues. IMO the old Corsair HX have had quite a bit reports about excessive coil whining and my GTX 970 do have slight amount (even being able to hear it in my headphones as additional faint buzzing or whine in some cases if there's no ingame audio being played).

I feel not that tempted to go Corsair this time. I've for exampled eyed the Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W (white). Belongs to "top-tier I" segment in tom's forums PSU tier list. (a plus is a matching white led for the connected cables which goes well with the cases white led but why o why do the GPU connectors have to be colored red!!! My OCD is tingling because of that ^^).

Last edited:
Tip: Next time, make a new thread instead of hijacking an old one. Typically you'll get better and more responses that way.

That said, your current and planned system calls for a 550-600 watt PSU at most. 750 is major overkill.

I'm looking for a new PSU, preferably white colored for my planned new white/black build with a NZXT H440 white case (new edition) (although black is still an option obviously)

I'm really puzzled what to go for.

I've got a Corsair HX750 now and my setup:

i5-4670K @ 4.3GHz
G-Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR3-1866 9-10-9-28
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 @ 1500MHz+ core clock
ASRock Extreme6 Z87
1x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
6x HDDs
planning to buy a EVO 850 500GB SSD soon and probably upgrade to either Intel Kaby Lake or at the very least Cannonlake depending on the performance.

Price: around $150 (130~$170) / 120 ~ 160€.

Would prefer fully modular and at least fairly silent and something with really stable low ripple (<10mV territory, 12V rail ok up to 15mV or so in worst case scenarios) and something KNOWN not to cause additional coil whine issues. IMO the old Corsair HX have had quite a bit reports about excessive coil whining and my GTX 970 do have slight amount (even being able to hear it in my headphones as additional faint buzzing or whine in some cases if there's no ingame audio being played).

I feel not that tempted to go Corsair this time. I've for exampled eyed the Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W (white). Belongs to "top-tier I" segment in tom's forums PSU tier list. (a plus is a matching white led for the connected cables which goes well with the cases white led but why o why do the GPU connectors have to be colored red!!! My OCD is tingling because of that ^^).

If you want white this is probably the best white PSU you can get. More power than you need but it's pretty awesome and gives you room to expand.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151154

banner.jpg

I also went from a Corsair HX1000 to an EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2. My Corsair didn't fail, but after 4 years, I feared it might in my new build sooner than later. So while I was at my local Micro Center, I bought the EVGA on sale. The 10 year warranty and Jonnyguru's high recommendation made my card fly out of my wallet :)

I also went from a Corsair HX1000 to an EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2. My Corsair didn't fail, but after 4 years, I feared it might in my new build sooner than later. So while I was at my local Micro Center, I bought the EVGA on sale. The 10 year warranty and Jonnyguru's high recommendation made my card fly out of my wallet :)

I also have one of these EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2!

I would go with the EVGA PSU. Extremely high warranty period, quality parts, perfect score on JG.

Back