EVGA offering pre-binned service for Kingpin 980 Ti

Now I understand why Kingpin revised his statement regarding low ASIC values and possibility of higher overclocking potential for lower ASIC cards under water/LN2. Ha!
They did? That's hilarious! I was just going to point out their original post about ASIC and how it's funny that EVGA is now offering this service. K|NGP|N also said that ASIC score doesn't matter at all with Maxwell when using air or water cooling. Maxwell apparently doesn't respond well to voltage increases regardless unless the core can be kept under 30C at load.

$1000 for a 76% ASIC 980 Ti? Shit. I paid 35% less for my EVGA ACX 2.0 980 Ti and it has the same ASIC percentage. Silicon lottery ftw!

At least they are starting at 72%+. But then again, that perplexes me. If Kingpin cards are excellent for subzero conditions, wouldn't ~60% cards be better? They should scale with added voltage compared to the higher ASIC cards.

Kingpin says higher ASIC cards (80+) perform better at subzero, not lower ASIC.

It'd be better if they did something like siliconlottery.com does. Like "will pass firestrike at 1600 MHz". I guess they have really no risk using ASIC %.

4-5 days ago he said lower ASIC would do better at sub zero/water which is also similar to what Wizzard put in his tool lol.

And at the end of the day, rather or not a ASIC score even matters is trivial, and surely not "proven" by any means when it correlates to overclocking. :eek:

I have two stock EVGA 980 Ti's with the ACX cooler. I paid 649$ each. I have one card with an ASIC of 83% and the other card is at 68.2% They both overclock and boost very well. I was going to use the step up once the Kingpin models launched, but after reading this absolute bullshit garbage, I can happily wait for Pascal..

Of course he is going to say that to promote the card.... All these years, lower ASIC has been touted as better cold cards. Now, EVGA puts Kingpin's name on the card with ASIC binning and it gets flip flopped..... Funny how that works. I have found that ASIC scores mean nothing.

Apparently Kingpin knows more than the guy who created ASIC scores. Also yes, ASIC has meant nothing since the 7XX series for NVidia (not sure about the AMD side of things).

Apparently Kingpin knows more than the guy who created ASIC scores. Also yes, ASIC has meant nothing since the 7XX series for NVidia (not sure about the AMD side of things).

I'd like to see some actual data, but I don't really doubt Kingpin on this one. Thing is, it seems as though it only matters if you're using some sort of exotic sub-ambient cooling and only applies to Maxwell.

Just goes to show how popular the 980 Ti is.
They can start auctioning off the high ASICs. If every GPU they manufacture is going to completely sell out, this is when they can start charging a premium.

As stupid as this is, it reflects the time we live in. If EVGA is successful here, you will start seeing all manufacturers do this for all of their GPU models.

You know how we have 80+ Bronze, Gold, Platinum, etc PSUs? That shit is coming to our GPUs.
Next year we will see "GTX 1080 72+", "74+", etc.

Except that with PSUs it is completely different. Saying it is similar is ludicrous.

PSUs with crappy components and intern engineering and therefore crappy voltage regulation and efficiency are cheaper to make than PSUs with better components and better engineering which leads to better voltage regulation and efficiency.

These video cards cost the same exact amount to make. They are the same exact thing except that they stick them on a bench for 5 minutes and run an ASIC checker program.

My popcorn is ready for the upcoming drama featuring peoples whining that their $1050 "binned" video card only achieves average overclock. :cool:

Last edited:
The only problem I see from this is:

These aren't high ASIC chips from a special magic pile. These are the high ASICs from their entire supply of 980Ti chips. That means you are more-or-less guaranteed to get a less than 70% ASIC from EVGA unless you decide to pony up the cash. For sure they test each chip, and don't think for a second they are going to put a $100+ premium on an ASIC bin, and then randomly use those chips in standard/reference/basic cards.

Does ASIC really matter? I hope not. I've never seen a real correlation between ASIC and OC'ing ability, but if there WAS? this would mean EVGA "Vanilla" cards would be using the scrap bin of chips.

These aren't high ASIC chips from a special magic pile. These are the high ASICs from their entire supply of 980Ti chips. That means you are more-or-less guaranteed to get a less than 70% ASIC from EVGA unless you decide to pony up the cash. For sure they test each chip, and don't think for a second they are going to put a $100+ premium on an ASIC bin, and then randomly use those chips in standard/reference/basic cards.

Does ASIC really matter? I hope not. I've never seen a real correlation between ASIC and OC'ing ability, but if there WAS? this would mean EVGA "Vanilla" cards would be using the scrap bin of chips.

Stands to reason.

That is the biggest issue I have with this. not so much that they are charging extra for "better chips" but that their other lines will never be seeing anything in the 80+'s since they are rarer and will be going to the kingpin for like 50% markup.

Soon you will see tards listing their asic scores in their Rig stats ;) This also means all the other evga cards will be picked-over and have shitty asic.

I don't know if this is worth actually money...at least not that much money. But it is annoying if you have SLI and one card sails OC and another card tanks.

*Actually, if EVGA offered free guaranteed binning for SLI through their webstore that would be rather nice.

Last edited:
These video cards cost the same exact amount to make. They are the same exact thing except that they stick them on a bench for 5 minutes and run an ASIC checker program.

That's not true. On the GTX 980, an EK water block that fits the reference card won't fit the Classy, and an EK water block that fits the Classy won't fit the KPE. The different variants of cards with the same NVIDIA GPU are not only different SKUs, from a marketing perspective, but they are physically different, too.

Of course the GPU chips are binned, but the actual graphics cards are often quite different, even within the same manufacturer's lineup.

Soon you will see tards listing their asic scores in their Rig stats ;) This also means all the other evga cards will be picked-over and have shitty asic.

Not necessarily a bad thing if someone sticks a "LOOK AT ME I'M A FLAMING RETARD" label on themselves ;)

Perhaps they could cherry-pick for their custom cards. But wouldn't reference designs be pot luck? Don't they come from the same factory?

I've seen a difference with low ASIC and high ASIC cards. It's not etched in stone, but...it would be nice to at least think you might have parity with two cards in SLI. That's my only thing. For SLI.

I have had evga sc+ users posting 70-86 % ASIC. However, going forward all those chips will be reserved for the retards.

This is going to die off pretty soon when the Einsteins who bought the cards start posting their overclocks all over the net. Or maybe they'll just bury their shame and tears and never tell anyone they got raped.

Perhaps they could cherry-pick for their custom cards. But wouldn't reference designs be pot luck? Don't they come from the same factory?

I've seen a difference with low ASIC and high ASIC cards. It's not etched in stone, but...it would be nice to at least think you might have parity with two cards in SLI. That's my only thing. For SLI.

I think you are on to something. Sort of how you get matched kits for memory, they should do that for video cards. That makes some actual sense.

At least on ebay if this crap starts happening it will mix up the market a bit.

70.1% ASIC, 1590 core stable, no voltage adjustment, 970. Let's just say that I stopped at 1590 arbitrarily. Haven't tested beyond.

I'm thinking ASIC binning is scam, like Russian media.

Last edited:

I guess it comes down to this question:

"What makes you think they have different piles of chips for reference designs over custom designs?"

They all start as Nvidia supplied unsoldered BGA chips on a tray, and if I'm not mistaken, the reference design is a standard to be adhered to, not a manufacturing sample from Nvidia: meaning that EVGA still builds the cards in their factories, even if they are of Nvidia's reference design. Why would you think they wouldn't test EVERY chip that goes through their system? if they are going to put an imaginary $300 premium on an ASIC score, trust me: they are going to look in every corner of their factory to find that gold. which means the lower-ASIC chips are all that remain for the 'normal' priced cards.

I guess it comes down to this question:

"What makes you think they have different piles of chips for reference designs over custom designs?"

They all start as Nvidia supplied unsoldered BGA chips on a tray, and if I'm not mistaken, the reference design is a standard to be adhered to, not a manufacturing sample from Nvidia: meaning that EVGA still builds the cards in their factories, even if they are of Nvidia's reference design. Why would you think they wouldn't test EVERY chip that goes through their system? if they are going to put an imaginary $300 premium on an ASIC score, trust me: they are going to look in every corner of their factory to find that gold. which means the lower-ASIC chips are all that remain for the 'normal' priced cards.

I dunno. Every time I see someone talk about ref. vs non-ref. they always seem to say the reference NV all come from the same factory.

They just put the sticker on right? But then they can cherry pick the ref. cards for FTW or SCs or whatever, which they don't seem to do. It's seems pot luck.

My comments in this regard stem from an EVGA Superclock with a 62 ASIC and max OC 100 Mhz lower than my other card, which kinda irks me, since I had a Superclock that was much better but I had to RMA it.

In other words, I'd like to be rewarded if I buy two Kingpins or Classifieds with at least a 72% 75% ASIC for both cards, but since they seem to sell limit 1 per order on those high end puppies, at least on launch, I guess that's unreasonable, though it would put people on the hook for two cards. I guess I'm trying to make business sense out of this; dropping the idea of being charged a high premium which seems to insult people's sensibilities. Plus as with all OC parts, people like to be surprised with the luck of the draw. :eek:

I have a reference EVGA 980Ti SC with 66.8% ASIC. I hit 1500Mhz @ 1.25V on air. Haven't pushed it further yet.
ASIC binning on Maxwell is a ripoff.

Makes sense to me - Kingpin cards have never been about value. They've always been about getting the best of the best regardless of price (I mean, at their base it is $200 more than a regular 980 Ti - that's nuts and totally blows the "value" equation out of the water).

It's good to have options/choices. You can simply vote with your wallet if you don't want those options/choices.

Sold out in seconds.

Attempted to add to cart at 10:00:00 PT, recieved an HTML error. Refreshed the page at 10:00:05 and the buy links for all ASIC's were gone, refreshed again and the $1049 card said "notify me".

Originally Posted by cyclone3d
That's not true. On the GTX 980, an EK water block that fits the reference card won't fit the Classy, and an EK water block that fits the Classy won't fit the KPE. The different variants of cards with the same NVIDIA GPU are not only different SKUs, from a marketing perspective, but they are physically different, too.

Of course the GPU chips are binned, but the actual graphics cards are often quite different, even within the same manufacturer's lineup.

I'm sure what he means is that all the Kingpin cards are the same and yet with a 5 minute ASIC check EVGA can charge more for the same card.

Back