EVGA Nu Audio - New Internal Sound Card

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by CrimsonKnight13, Jan 8, 2019.

1. CrimsonKnight13

CrimsonKnight13 Lord Stabington of [H]ard|Fortress

2. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

Probably be $249.99
    Looks nice though.

3. Auer

Auer n00bie

While I'm glad that there are more options out there I can't help wonder how this stacks up to a external USB DAC.

Personally I prefer any audio circuits as far away from the computer as possible.
    But maybe this card's main purpose isn't music.(plain old stereo Hi-Rez)

A

4. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

The starting DNR of the DAC chip is 123dB, the final s/n will be lower.
    The circuit design and component choice looks fantastic, they even use silver with gold plate on the circuit board.
    This should reduce signal/detail loss substantially.

I would have hoped for a higher spec DAC chip but the inside of a PC is so noisy, it probably gives no added value.
    Lets assume the final s/n is 120dB, perhaps a little lower, thats not bad.
    It can easily be exceeded by more expensive external DACs.
    This isnt the be all though, we need reviews to tell us the cross talk, IMD ..., how good the headphone amp is etc, and how it sounds.

It has native DSD 256 support with an analogue volume control on headphone out to reduce signal loss / keep DSD pure, good attention to detail.
    This will be great with HQPlayer.
    Its worth keeping an eye on.

Seems to be the consensus.

Auer likes this.
  5. Auer

Auer n00bie

Nenu

Chances are it can be exceeded by a $100 external DAC that also offers other inputs on top of that.

But I will have to wait for some actual real life measurements.

Still have a feeling this is more of an "Entertainment" than "Audiophile" type of device.

A

6. Budwise

Budwise [H]ard|Gawd

Time and time again internal sound card manufacturers have claimed metrics but when actually tested they are nowhere near them. It's just marketing...

Auer likes this.
  7. FrozenSteel

FrozenSteel Limp Gawd

Not sure how this card could compete with the Creative Soundblaster ZXR from a internal sound card perspective. I mean the ZXR on paper has better specs than this card and Creatives been doing it since the beginning.

Also, the ZXR goes on sale from time to time for around 170-180 so if this card goes for 249.99, it better outshine the ZXR.

CrimsonKnight13 likes this.
  8. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

ZxR is nice card, picked one up from a member here for $100 last year.

Just doesn't have any lights on it,
    IMG_2402.JPG

9. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

This one flew under the radar apparently- Google News served it up to me, and I came here to make a post; glad someone else saw it too!

And I agree that they're going to have to work hard. I have no idea what the target market for this is, as anyone interested in 'just works' gaming has a USB headset, and anyone interested in audio fidelity is running an external DAC/Amp setup.

10. ashmelev75

ashmelev75 [H]ard|Gawd

11. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

I imagine its because of the new range of smaller, more accurate, easier to implement DAC chips on the market.
    Its cheaper and easier to produce small solutions.
    Since Creative did very well with the AE-5 and the AE-7 is a hit, it looks like the door is open for high quality PC audio products.

12. limitedaccess

limitedaccess [H]ardness Supreme

I have similar sentiments to some of the above. It seems like if you're willing to spend that much wouldn't you just go for an external solution?

13. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

It includes a high quality and capable headphone amp, that needs to be factored into the cost of the external solution.

14. ashmelev75

ashmelev75 [H]ard|Gawd

$250 is an A/V receiver territory. You can get either good starter HDMI receiver or an amazing second-hand receiver for such price. The only downside is the space it takes.
    In my 25+ year PC enthusiast experience, pretty much every high end card eventually ended up as an expensive letdown. Terrible support, awful drivers, compatibility issues, etc.
    This EVGA card is build on some new DSP.. So who's making drivers?
    The analog part looks impressive.. for a stereo card.

15. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

Starter vs high end audio.
    Depends what you want.

16. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

17. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

HDMI 7.1 out to an external receiver is for sure the cost effective way for a surround setup. Even 5.1 is enough for most. These internal cards are handy mostly if your speakers are active and you can pull a line out directly to them.

18. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

It was $200 on sale today for EVGA VIP members. I almost pulled the trigger but I think I'm going to stick to my onboard Realtek 1220 for now to save some money. It's aiight for playing games and the music I like to listen to (which is light mostly clear crispy vocals / instruments and light on bass).

19. trick_m0nkey

trick_m0nkey I jump for cash, bitch!

I actually am in the market for something like this, but it needs to be external as my rig is mini-ITX. Maybe some other time.

20. Night_Hawk-19

Night_Hawk-19 Gawd

21. AthlonXP

AthlonXP Stay [H]ard

I snagged it for the $199 intro price and set it up last night. Its actually a very nice card, very easy setup and sound quality is great.

atarione and Nenu like this.