EVGA, not pleased with my service right now.

Rizen

[H]F Junkie
Is there an EVGA rep on this board?

My northbridge fan is dying on my EVGA X58 SLI and I am being told by EVGA customer service that I have to remove my motherboard from my PC and send my entire motherboard back in to get the fan replaced. Considering I can do this myself at my house in 15 minutes, the prospect of having my entire computer down for 2 weeks plus all of the time to assemble and disassemble the entire computer is not sitting well with me.

That's why companies that do advance RMA with CC security rock. Do they not offer that yet?

I believe they do but last I checked it was an additional cost.

Really, I don't see why I need to send in or replace my $300 motherboard to resolve an issue with a <$1 fan, regardless.

This is the type of thing that is making sure I don't deal with EVGA anymore. I'm on my third card in less than 2 months and each one had to be sent in, their CS manager never replies to emails or voicemails and I've been hung up on several times. Considering it takes 20 minutes just to get to a rep, it's really disheartening tbh.
Good luck with it, if you bug them enough you might be able to get an advance RMA.

This is the type of thing that is making sure I don't deal with EVGA anymore. I'm on my third card in less than 2 months and each one had to be sent in, their CS manager never replies to emails or voicemails and I've been hung up on several times. Considering it takes 20 minutes just to get to a rep, it's really disheartening tbh.
Good luck with it, if you bug them enough you might be able to get an advance RMA.
To be perfectly honest I'm very pleased with the product, and besides the fan dying slowly I've never had another problem with it.

If I can't get another fan without sending in my motherboard though I'm going to be a little irked. They told me when I pushed back on them that "Unfortunately we do not have these for a send only part, they are originally equipped with the board and the board will need to be sent in for replacment. We do not have any other service centers except for the factory. We do apologize for the inconvience."

But this has to be bullshit, there is no way that they are replacing someone's entire motherboard when the fan dies, so they must have some fans available.

I agree with wesleys_dad...if you dont want to send it back to them, which is their policy, then get a new fan and replace it yourself. Hell, ask someone in the FS/FT forum and Im sure youll have a replace fan in a matter of minutes.

It does suck but it is company policy...even if policy sucks there is nothing they can do about it themselves...the customer service department works for EVGA, its the big wigs that make all those decisions, not them.

I agree with wesleys_dad...if you dont want to send it back to them, which is their policy, then get a new fan and replace it yourself. Hell, ask someone in the FS/FT forum and Im sure youll have a replace fan in a matter of minutes.

It does suck but it is company policy...even if policy sucks there is nothing they can do about it themselves...the customer service department works for EVGA, its the big wigs that make all those decisions, not them.

What he said!

EVGA offers cross-shipping on their RMAs.
I've done it a couple of times.
I'm not sure if you would have had to already purchased their advanced RMA service or not, but if push comes to shove, and they insist on you sending the board.....

call customer service and ask them if you could cross ship the board.
You give them a credit card number to guarantee return and they ship you out the board.
You wait to receive the new board before you tear down your computer, then send it in.

I think if you just discuss this with them they'll be agreeable.

Another way to get some action is to post this beef on their forum, under X58 SLI subforum.
A cs guy will most likely respond same day and resolve this issue. It sometimes faster than trying to call them and you get one guy to work with.

Fans die, fans are cheap. It's not worth the effort of creating this thread, let alone the effort of dealing with the RMA. Even if they cross shipped for free, I'd rather spend $10 and replace the fan myself than take my computer apart.

Your fan will have a sticker on top of it - peel this sticker off and drop 1-2 drops of *mineral oil* into the hole on top of the fan under the sticker. Be careful not to ruin the sticker, or get oil anywhere other than in the hole. Then re-apply the sticker (if you got oil all over the place, it won't stick though... in which case, use some isopropyl alcohol to clean up the excess oil and wipe it thoroughly and then put some strong tape over the hole)

Your fan probably isn't dying but just needs some lube

If that fixes it, enjoy :)

I can certainly replace my northbridge fan with an alternative cooler and that's likely what I will do (probably a spot fan to push more air over the VRMs). I just think it's kind of silly that their response to a fan replacement is "send in your motherboard".

I realize it's been said but check out what you could possibly just order to replace with.

Maybe a PITA that EVGA refuses to be reasonable on a fan replacement but, I wouldn't want to do a full dress-down on my machine and be without it for however long they decide to drag out an RMA...

It's not just EVGA, BFG, Visiontek nobody that I know of will just ship you a replacement fan so you can do it yourself anymore. I quit doing business with BFG for just such a reason with a 6800 I had, fan went out, I asked for a replacement, they said I would have to send the card in so they could replace the fan. I told them to stick it where the sun don't shine and have not done business with them since.

The days of them sending us replacement parts so we can fix it ourselves are over unfortunately .... bastards.

It's not just EVGA, BFG, Visiontek nobody that I know of will just ship you a replacement fan so you can do it yourself anymore. I quit doing business with BFG for just such a reason with a 6800 I had, fan went out, I asked for a replacement, they said I would have to send the card in so they could replace the fan. I told them to stick it where the sun don't shine and have not done business with them since.

The days of them sending us replacement parts so we can fix it ourselves are over unfortunately .... bastards.

Come on think about it, Majority of the people on the boards can obviously change a hsf/fan easily that being said.

Imagine if someone incapable of doing so asked for this request, got the replacement part. Tried to do the fix themselves and end up fucking up the card and then lying to them that it was more then the fan. NOW The Company has to eat the cost of the user damaged card and replace it with another, or else have them going on forums saying Company So and So sucks cuz i damaged my card and they wont replace it.

They have to create RMA Guidelines for the majority of users and that being said unfortunately I'm pretty sure the majority are clueless on how to change anything on a GPU/MOBO. And even if they did know you personally and just sent you the replacment, if word got out that would make there RMA guidelines null from all the callers using that instance as an example. Which is why they are so strict. IMO

;)

Last edited:
Come on think about it, Majority of the people on the boards can obviously change a hsf/fan easily that being said.

Imagine if someone incapable of doing so asked for this request, got the replacement part. Tried to do the fix themselves and end up fucking up the card and then lying to them that it was more then the fan. NOW The Company has to eat the cost of the user damaged card and replace it with another, or else have them going on forums saying Company So and So sucks cuz i damaged my card and they wont replace it.

They have to create RMA Guidelines for the majority of users and that being said unfortunately I'm pretty sure the majority are clueless on how to change anything on a GPU/MOBO. And even if they did know you personally and just sent you the replacment, if word got out that would make there RMA guidelines null from all the callers using that instance as an example. Which is why they are so strict. IMO

;)

What you said made absolutely no sense, sorry.

How can you seriously expect someone who's dumb enough to not know how to change a fan or break something doing it do a better job to unplug every wires going to the board, remove the ram, video card and CPU heatsink and remove the CPU from the fricking socket, pack the board properly to be shipped halfway trough the country while not doing any damage?

I guess you didn't think about that right?

Oh yeah he'd have to put it all back together when it come back too... If that's indeed the reason they won't do it then EVGA people are not to bright.

You guys all realize why EVGA , BFG and the like can't just send out fans and the like for mobo's and video cards? Because if they send it to you and you fuck it up on the install you're just gonna call back and increase the stress of the situation and if they have one of there techs do it ...its an in house problem. Think about it , they would have to provide more phone support to help people install these fans considering it can't be for only a select few and has to be open to anyone. So that means they would have to print out guides and spend likely hundreds of thousands of dollars just so a very limited group of people like us on the forums can do the fan replacement on our own when it makes more sense for the company to do it ?

Yea it sucks to not be able to use the product you buy when it goes bad but come on .. warranties are the same everywhere. You're welcome to replace it on your own but atleast be reasonable and realize liability involved for a company.

What you said made absolutely no sense, sorry.

How can you seriously expect someone who's dumb enough to not know how to change a fan or break something doing it do a better job to unplug every wires going to the board, remove the ram, video card and CPU heatsink and remove the CPU from the fricking socket, pack the board properly to be shipped halfway trough the country while not doing any damage?

I guess you didn't think about that right?

Oh yeah he'd have to put it all back together when it come back too... If that's indeed the reason they won't do it then EVGA people are not to bright.

Your Right,

I was talking about the GPU lol sorry ... I guess what I was trying to say is the Company would rather do the work and not risk the end user doing damage.

Last edited:
Do you need a replacement Northbridge fan? You can go into any stores and buy a 60mm fan and use that (it is a perfect fit). I can send one I used as well.

In fact, any EVGA 758 user should replace their NB fan from the start. The stock fan draws warm air from the heatsink and blows it sideways (towards the connectors) - it is borderline useless. A proper fan will blow air through the heatsink and cool probably 15-30C better.

Last edited:
I agree the main reason for the "ship us back the whole board" for a fan replacement is that there are stupid people that are unqualified to wield a toilet-brush, let alone a screwdrive. Unfortunately, it's another case of "one person ruins it for everyone". You should be able to waive any risk and request the part anyway. I've just stopped bothering all together at this point, though. If a fan or some such dies I just look at as an opportunity to buy another pound of copper and whirling plastic for yet another component...

MJZ is right too, those fans on EVGA boards make no damned sense whatsoever in terms of air-flow. Better replacing it from the get-go. I know the first thing I did for a friend that bought a 680i SLI board was yank out the fan and installed one of those sorta goofy Antec fan-on-a-bendy-metal-thing in order to make the air flow UP and OUT of the case along with all the CPU venting.

The argument that a user should send in the board because they might damage it doesn't really hold a lot of water when you consider what's required to disconnect the motherboard, package it, and send it back.

The argument that a user should send in the board because they might damage it doesn't really hold a lot of water when you consider what's required to disconnect the motherboard, package it, and send it back.

True, But it is what it is.

take off the fan yourself and ziptie a 60 or 80mm fan to the heatsink for a cooler and quieter NB and it is done now.

OR

take out the MB, send it in and wait.

Unless you are going to serve cheese with that /thread

i think id get my own fan or hatsink. from what i hear evga are one of the few u can modify like that and keep warenty

Odd, when my 8800GT cooler died, XFX sent me a whole new shroud and everything, and told me to replace it myself.

Yeah, I have to say I was a bit put-off when I registered my EVGA P55 a month ago and ran across that "pay us to get advanced RMA, in case you need it, otherwise you just wasted money for nothing" offer.

GPUs are a little different, those are less hassle to take out of the case and easily replaced, I put a 3rd party cooler on my 5870 anyway.

I had to call, send a bunch of emails, and post on their forum just to get them to send me a new sticker for one of my gtx260's once.. was ridiculous. But their phone help is good when i had problems with getting my Classified up and running.

If it was a fan gone bad i wouldn't bother sending it in i'd fix it myself.

if i want dell i would buy dell. i wouldn't want to send the entire mobo back for just one fan.

Back