EVGA Mobo Comparison (Can't find it anywhere)

Syndacate

Weaksauce
Hey, there's two boards I'm looking at, and I search high and low, and I can't find which puts one over the other.

Both made by EVGA:
142-BL-E757-TR
132-BL-E758-A1

I realize one has more SATA slots than the other, but I can't find out which is "better" - I'm aware that the A1 is NEWER, but that doesn't explain why it's $60 less.

I'm not sure which is more important, is 141 > 132, or is 758 > 757?

Anybody? Any comparison? I can't find an article where somebody showed the pros and cons of these two boards against each other.

Thank you very much for your time and responses :)

Acutally the E757 is the newer board between the two and the E758 actually comes in two variants A1 and TR. The A1 having a lifetime warranty.

Also the PCiE configerations differ between the two when doing SLi and Tri-Sli

The 758 has better cooling, better power regulation circuitry, more SATA ports, and is designed to be more overclocking-friendly. The 757 is eVGA's budget X58 board and is stripped down to reduce cost. The 758 is technically the better board, although in practice you probably wouldn't notice a difference.

If you combine 2 of the posts above you basically the the correct answer.

The 757 is the LE board and this board only comes with a 2 year warranty and a passive cooling solution, but it also has a better PCI-E layout than the 758. Also, it does not come with the ability to stepup as all TR parts are excluded from stepup. The A1 is an older board, but in no way does it make it any worse. The A1 board also has active cooling and has been around longer so the BIOS is more mature. In addition, the E758 is more expensive than the 757 for various reasons.

The 757 is the LE board and this board only comes with a 2 year warranty and a passive cooling solution, but it also has a better PCI-E layout than the 758.

Better/More slot placement but it's a retarded implementation of it, they have hardwired the third slot to only 4x and you have to run a card in the first slot to get 16x, and you can't get x16 x16 with 2 cards installed. No idea what EVGA was thinking giving a budget board all the slots of the Classified and then crippling them. Would have been better off leaving it like it was on the 758.

So it seems the 758, even though it's an older board, is still better?

It kind of annoys me that the RAM doesn't clock as high, I mean yeah, I guess you can say I'm being a little greedy since I'll have 12GB, but the 1600 sounds better than the 1333.

But the main thing is basically a better warranty?

I probably won't go tri-sli, but I'd like the option to later go dual SLI. Would either of these boards support it better than the other (or cripple it)? I'm getting a lil confused with al the PCI talk. It seems like it's not worth it to go with the newer one, despite it running faster RAM.

the ram will clock as high as you want it to on either board. i have my ram @ 2000mhz on the 758. when the board first came out there was a limitation on the ram dividers, but that was fixed right away. probably just have not updated the spex. the 758 (older) will do 2x 16 lanes in sli, while the newer board will only do 1x 16 lane and 1x 8 lane in sli. not that it makes a hell of a lot of difference. if i had the choice now (i didnt when i bought the 758 a1) i would buy the 758 tr since it has more features than the 757 for just a little more money. and i dont need a lifetime warranty, i change motherboards like other guys change their socks.

Last edited:
Doesn't exactly answer OP question, but I can vouch for the e758 A1. My 920 d0 runs quite stable on a conservative 3.8GHz OC.

• 758 is the original X58 SLI board
  • 759 is the Classified with the NF200
  • 760 is the Classified without the NF200 or the ECP
  • 761 is the Classified without the NF200, with the ECP
  • 769 is the Classified Hydro Copper (watercooled - I assume it's NF200, but I don't see a concrete statement)
  • 757 is the LE, the budget version of the 758
  • 756 is the mATX version
As with all EVGA products, the last two characters of the model number determine the warranty/StepUp. A1 is the good one, TR is the cheaper one.

So it seems the 758, even though it's an older board, is still better?

It kind of annoys me that the RAM doesn't clock as high, I mean yeah, I guess you can say I'm being a little greedy since I'll have 12GB, but the 1600 sounds better than the 1333.

But the main thing is basically a better warranty?

I probably won't go tri-sli, but I'd like the option to later go dual SLI. Would either of these boards support it better than the other (or cripple it)? I'm getting a lil confused with al the PCI talk. It seems like it's not worth it to go with the newer one, despite it running faster RAM.

You can go dual SLi with 285 or less without losing any performance, Tri SLi will have one card running at x4 which will kill it's performance.. It's mostly only a concern with 295's and possibly future GT300 series.cards for a dual card setup. There are better boards though for similiar price than either of these that will do x16 x16. Might want to look around and do some more research before taking the plunge.

Good luck!

Thanks for all of your replies, it seems the A1 is the better board here.

If I do go with the 132-BL-E758, the RAM max clock is 1333Mhz, is it easy/stable to clock to the RAM's regular freq of 1600Mhz? Will it mess with anything else? 'Cause I also plan on OC'ing the I7 to 3.4.

EDIT:
I'm putting a GTX280 in there, and I figure that should be decent for the time being (I'm not looking to completely break the bank on a gfx card), but if at a later time I would like to go SLI with a second card of the same type, would that be a problem in the 132-BL-E758 (older board)? It seems like you guys are saying that they'll both run twin card SLI at 16x, but if I try to go Tri-SLI the newer board (the 141-BL) will screw me by limiting the 3rd slot to 4x - but either way, the main stem of the SLI problems come from using 300 series cards.

Am I understanding that part right?

EDIT:
I'm putting a GTX280 in there, and I figure that should be decent for the time being (I'm not looking to completely break the bank on a gfx card), but if at a later time I would like to go SLI with a second card of the same type, would that be a problem in the 132-BL-E758 (older board)? It seems like you guys are saying that they'll both run twin card SLI at 16x, but if I try to go Tri-SLI the newer board (the 141-BL) will screw me by limiting the 3rd slot to 4x - but either way, the main stem of the SLI problems come from using 300 series cards.

Am I understanding that part right?
The second slot of the 757 is hard-wired at 8x. The 758 will allow you to run full 16x/16x SLI. Both boards can only run Tri-SLI in 16x/8x/8x mode due to the nature of the X58 chipset (only motherboards with the NF200 chip like the ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution and ASUS P6T7 Supercomputer can run full 16x/16x/16x Tri-SLI).

if you see yourself possibly using 3x $500 gtx300 video cards in the near future, by all means get a classified with nf200 (759, popssibly 769) or one of the asus boards with nf200. otherwise, the 758 a1 should be good for you. no, running your ram aty 1600 will not mess with anything else.

The second slot of the 757 is hard-wired at 8x. The 758 will allow you to run full 16x/16x SLI. Both boards can only run Tri-SLI in 16x/8x/8x mode due to the nature of the X58 chipset (only motherboards with the NF200 chip like the ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution and ASUS P6T7 Supercomputer can run full 16x/16x/16x Tri-SLI).

And the EVGA X58 Classified. ;)

I see, thank you very much for your replies. No, I don't do anything like 3D rendering or anything, so I really see no need for anything above 1 GFX card (one 24" monitor & a 19" secondary monitor that's rarely on). I was j/w, wanted to leave the option open for the dual card SLI if I want to boost my gaming or something. I mean for what I use it for an I7 build is overkill to begin with.

Think I'll take the 132-BL-E758, seems like everything is better. Guess the whole "newer doesn't imply better" doesn't apply here. It'll be golden as long as I can OC the RAM BUS to 1600Mhz, then I'll be quite delighted with it. I'll have the dual SLI 16x capability if I want to do that in a few months, and everything should be fine.

If I get to the point where I need tri-SLI, for what I use it for (daily desktop, gaming here and there, nothing extremely high end), then my core I7 will be outdated by then.

Thank you very much for all of your replies and help, it was hard to tell the differences, typically newer boards aren't cheaper, and typically they aren't not as good. Though if it's a budget one that makes sense.

Does anybody know if they're planning a 141-BL with the A1 (non-budget) board?

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Well the board I posted (the 141-BL is a "TR" (last two letters)) which I was told was a budget version of the regular one, which has "A1" as the last 2 letters. So I was wondering if there was going to be a board coming up that had a 141-BL start (same as the new one that just came out) but has an "A1" at the end (meaning that it's not a budget board, but a regular).

So, like a 141-BL-E7XX-A1.

Well the board I posted (the 141-BL is a "TR" (last two letters)) which I was told was a budget version of the regular one, which has "A1" as the last 2 letters. So I was wondering if there was going to be a board coming up that had a 141-BL start (same as the new one that just came out) but has an "A1" at the end (meaning that it's not a budget board, but a regular).

Ah, I see. I don't think they are planning on releasing versions of their budget boards with lifetime warranties.

The first part of the model number (141-BL) doesn't really mean anything to end users. The middle part (E7XX) tells which model the board is (Tri-SLI, Classified, LE, etc.). The last part (A1, TR, etc.) tells the support level.

The E757 is the "LE" version of the E758 board - fewer PWM phases, fewer connectors, etc. The E758-TR is the exact same board as the E758-A1 hardware-wise, but just doesn't have the good warranty. Both the E757 and the E758-TR can be considered "budget" versions of the E758-A1, depending on how you look at it.

I think what you're asking for is a lifetime warranty version of the LE (XXX-XX-E757-A1). As it's designed to be a budget version of the Tri-SLI, and there's already a limited warranty version of that board, I wouldn't expect to see an A1 version of the E757.

The first part of the model number (141-BL) doesn't really mean anything to end users. The middle part (E7XX) tells which model the board is (Tri-SLI, Classified, LE, etc.). The last part (A1, TR, etc.) tells the support level.

The E757 is the "LE" version of the E758 board - fewer PWM phases, fewer connectors, etc. The E758-TR is the exact same board as the E758-A1 hardware-wise, but just doesn't have the good warranty. Both the E757 and the E758-TR can be considered "budget" versions of the E758-A1, depending on how you look at it.

I think what you're asking for is a lifetime warranty version of the LE (XXX-XX-E757-A1). As it's designed to be a budget version of the Tri-SLI, and there's already a limited warranty version of that board, I wouldn't expect to see an A1 version of the E757.

Ah, I see, okay.

I think I'll go with the 132-BL-E758-A1, even though the RAM BUS is slower, the newer "budget version" or pseudo budget version can at least run the RAM clock at 1600Mhz, I can't do that with the E758 without voiding the warranty, blah.

I mean yeah, with 12GB of RAM, only having 1333Mhz instead of 1600Mhz shouldn't be that big of a deal, but I guess I'm being greedy and want to use all of my RAM's potential speed :(.

Though I don't know anything about OC'ing RAM, don't know anybody that knows anything about OC'ing RAM, and I'm sure that'll void the board's warranty.

Ah, I see, okay.

I think I'll go with the 132-BL-E758-A1, even though the RAM BUS is slower, the newer "budget version" or pseudo budget version can at least run the RAM clock at 1600Mhz, I can't do that with the E758 without voiding the warranty, blah.

I mean yeah, with 12GB of RAM, only having 1333Mhz instead of 1600Mhz shouldn't be that big of a deal, but I guess I'm being greedy and want to use all of my RAM's potential speed :(.

Though I don't know anything about OC'ing RAM, don't know anybody that knows anything about OC'ing RAM, and I'm sure that'll void the board's warranty.

Stock i7 memory speed is only 1066MHz anyway, so even 1333 is overclocking it. I do believe the 758 can do 1600MHz, though I upgraded to the Classified so I can't personally check it now.

With the i7, the memory controller is now on the CPU. It's not that the motherboard has a crappy RAM bus built into it, it's just that earlier 758 BIOS versions may not have included that RAM ratio, meaning that you couldn't run your RAM at that speed without changing other timings as well. Even with the ratio for 1600, you're still technically overclocking the memory controller on the CPU. It's possible (but very unlikely) that the CPU might not handle that stably.

Ah, I see, okay.

You can OC the board to your heart's desire and it wont void the warranty. They key is not to overvolt the memory on the IMC thats located on the CPU because that will void the warranty on your CPU. But technically overclocking your CPU already does that. Essentially, since the memory controller is on the CPU its more fragile and its also not part of the motherboard anymore. Not that it would void your warranty if it were... EVGA wont void your warranty for overclocking. Only physical damage, like breaking the board in half or dripping water on it.

There are a few things you should note as flaws on the E758 (the original EVGA X58 board). 1) The VREG heatsink sucks, so the VREG runs very hot; it's improved on any of the newer EVGA boards. 2) S3 Sleep doesn't reliably work at higher BCLKs. 3) At S3 sleep resume, CPU voltage (VCORE) jumps up one notch, overvolting from what you had set before S3 sleep. If you don't use S3 sleep, you won't care about #2 and #3 of course...

The E758 has the same RAM speed potential as any of the X58 boards... not sure why you think otherwise. You'll be limited by your CPU and RAM itself. Also, don't stress about RAM speed... real gains are minimal, so it's best to focus on CPU.

Back