EVGA Mini-Recall on Superclock 670s

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We mentioned earlier that we were getting word that EVGA was pulling back some GTX 670 products for the channel and that is specifically the case. Here is exactly what EVGA had to say:

EVGA has isolated this problem to an early batch of GTX 670 Superclock cards (P/N: 02G-P3-2672-KR) that were not properly screened during QA/QC procedure. We have already been working with our partners to retest this particular batch. In the meantime, our R&D has also done numerous tests, burn in and component quality verification to confirm that the EVGA GTX 670 Superclock is a well designed product.

If any of your users are experiencing issues with their EVGA GTX 670 Superclock boards, please ask them to email Jacob Freeman, and he will assist in getting them setup with an RMA cross shipment along with EVGA upgrading them to the GTX 670 FTW version (P/N: 02G-P3-2685-KR) for the inconvenience of this.

So, "EVGA has not recalled its 670 product line," as Joe Darwin with EVGA put it, but EVGA has identified some bad product in the field which it is bringing back in from etailers. EVGA was not forthcoming with what exactly "this problem" with its products is or how it is identified.

Although I did not buy the GTX 670 SC, their generosity in upgrading customers to as higher spec model for free proves that EVGA is the best. This makes me glad I went for their GTX 680. :cool:

I was very hesitant to go with MSI, but so far its been a great card. I'm just wondering if there's a way to set up the 3 monitor thing with only two monitors... at least I could have left peripheral vision.

Any idea what the symptoms are of the faulty cards?

To all of those wondering, I received 2 of the 670 SC cards and the issues are artifacting and system freezes , if you did get a faulty sc card they will 2 day air u a FTW model.

I've got a Gigabyte Windforce GTX670 with defective HDMI audio (pops or dropouts in Skyrim and Unigine Heaven), but I guess that's not related problem to the EVGA one. I have to decide whether to contact Gigabyte or RMA it to Newegg . . . any advice?

wow go EVGA
i like that a. they came out about it right away and b. are giving a free upgrade and cross shipping
eVGA did turn around fast when i RMAed my 580 had it back in just under a week from day i shipped so the must of shipped it as soon as they got mine

I've got a Gigabyte Windforce GTX670 with defective HDMI audio (pops or dropouts in Skyrim and Unigine Heaven), but I guess that's not related problem to the EVGA one. I have to decide whether to contact Gigabyte or RMA it to Newegg . . . any advice?

id deal with newegg first
if they wont let you swap it out then deal with Gigabyte

Just bought the P4 model and not the P3 model last week and still haven't received it, probably because im stationed in japan, but anyways had a miny heart attack thinking i possibly about to receive a defective product!

I've been wanting to buy a evga 670, and have seen the vanilla model in stock several times on their website, but now I'm afraid they may be no chance of getting one that will overclock well as it may just be a bad SC model.....

It seems that EVGA is stepping up and taking care of this issue but I have to be honest... I've never had to RMA a video card until I purchased a EVGA 680 SC Signature+ card. EVGA has awesome customer service but I'm doubting the quality of the products coming out of their manufacturing facilities.

Cudos for EVGA in their "recall" process.

I have been following this problem on their forums for 4 or 5 days as i recently bought a pair of MSI GTX 670s. I was hoping this ws not going to be a system wide problem with all the 670s.

It seems that the evga problem is not hard to miss.....guys basically installed the card and it would artifact immediately upon entering a 3D program, or some noticed a complete freeze of the system at entering windows.
There was adequate troubleshooting by the people affected, and it boiled down to defective cards. Exactly what in the card is bad is not known at this time.

There are a number of threads over at evga. They jumped on it right away, no arguments, and offered the upgrade with very quick shipping to the customer.:D

My MSI cards arrived yesterday, and in limited benching I have to admit they are pretty beastly. I have seen the boost clock run up to 1265 MHz using a +100 MHz overclock and +122% power boost. Very fast card indeed.
My MSI cards have had no issues.

I love EVGA. This is a very classy move on their part. Any company can make a mistake, it's how you handle it that matters.

Good fix on their part for issues that should not have got thru the QA process in the first place.

Yea my next card will most likely be an EVGA model. Whenever I buy new I typically buy EVGA for reasons like this.

Damn.. I knew I should have gone with the SC.. I wouldnt mind the FTW card.

Kudos to EVGA for this but what the hell is the issue with the Cards....are there really bad yields with the Keplar chips?

I assumed they all overclocked fairly well...interesting, might explain the lack of 680's.

Kudos to EVGA for this but what the hell is the issue with the Cards....are there really bad yields with the Keplar chips?

I assumed they all overclocked fairly well...interesting, might explain the lack of 680's.

This seems to be isolated to EVGA and this one model.

I'd love to go with EVGA, I've had them in the past for vid cards, I still have an EVGA mobo in my system, but when there are non-reference cards out there with lower temps that are more quiet at the same price, it makes it hard not to spring for another brand....

Interesting - let's take this to the vid card forum because I have had the same sound pops although i'm using an audigy 2 zs... I have the MSI GTX 670

Nice of EVGA to make good on any problems with a free upgrade. That's why I always buy their cards if I can help it.

I purchased an EVGA 670 SC from Amazon on the day of release. So far no problems. Although the fan is louder on auto than I would have expected. Enjoying the upgrade so far. My second 670 SC arrived today, ordered last Saturday, was a slight delay in shipping for QA. It'll get installed tonight.

such class, EVGA. This is why it is so hard for me to break away from EVGA cards and pick up zotac/galaxy/msi

i just installed my vanilla evga 670 and so far its working normally. i havent overclocked it yet still testing it but no artifacts or weird shit. on the back of the card there is a sticker that says gtx670sc2g which seems strange since its definitely the non superclock card.

Just received the EVGA 670 FTW edition card because of my issues with the SC edition, I'm glad I had problems! This FTW edition is nicer looking and has a full sized PCB. I'll upload a comparison in a second.

Pictures to see differences next to each other.

downsize3.jpg

downsize4.jpg

downsize5.jpg

Last edited:
such class, EVGA. This is why it is so hard for me to break away from EVGA cards and pick up zotac/galaxy/msi

Wish they did this more frequently. All they offered to me was to send another used and more than likely defective unit while I pay $20+ shipping.

i wonder if the evga FTW will support a 680 waterblock just like the gigabyte full-length 670 does? I usually go EVGA but the waterblock was pointing me towards the gigabyte. I wonder if the 670 FTW has the vram heatsink cover separate from the cooling directly on the chip just like the gigabyte card does...

My EVGA fan makes a grinding noise. Going back to Amazon. And going back to GTX 480 SLI. I never thought I'd say that my experience with multi-GPU would be better than a single card. But so far, i've seen better minimum framerates (8-10 fps better) over HD 7970 and an OC'd GTX 670. There's only 1000 points difference in 3DMark 11. GTX 480s get about 10,300. 670 Gets about 9,100. But it's a big difference.

Now that's taking care of your customers EVGA!!! That's the main reason why I went with EVGA on my 570HD SC purchase last year. I would upgrade to the new 670 through EVGA, but doesn't make sense financially for me right now.

Back