EVGA Lifetime warranty does not cover New/Sealed purchases from Ebay

Brokennails

2[H]4U
Just was wanting to let everyone know that New/Sealed EVGA items are not covered under the EVGA Warranty, even though it does not state so in the terms.

EVGA themselves telling a custumer he is out of luck:

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25610&FORUM_ID=32&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=Just+dont+get+it!+RMA+from+eBay.&Forum_Title=GeForce+7+Series+Family+Forum

Beware what you purchase.

Can we make this a sticky so new people will know?

P.S.
This was just asked on Anandtech so I will reply here also.

You have to have a receipt for warranty replacement so no fibbing..
;)

It makes perfect sense and I see no reason to complain.

Agreed. If you want to go out of your way and save 20 or 30 bucks for a card on Ebay, you have no right to complain about not being able to RMA the thing. If you want the benefits, buy it from a reputable dealer. Thats what the extra 20 bucks gets you.

For the record, I am not the one that this happened to. Hell, I don't even know the guy.

For many people, you see a business selling computer parts on ebay that are new/sealed and it is stated that they have a warranty it is just like they purchased it from Newegg etc. There are many "Companies" that sell New computer parts on Ebay. Show me where it states New computer parts purchased from a company on Ebay are not covered at EVGA. Hell, show me at any computer site.

I am just trying to save some people grief. Show me someone to go to on Ebay that gives a crap enough to let these companies know that they are selling warranty-less products and I will do it.

And the only blame I lay at EVGA is thet they need to clarify their Terms of Warranty. I will continue to buy from them.

I've never had EVGA ask me to send a recipt with my RMA'd card.
I have...
I also don't agree with their sticker arrangements- the back of your card has two stickers: one carrying an eVGA serial and barcode, the other claiming "warranty void if removed." Well, guess what- my serial number came off (humidity, I think), but the warranty one is still there. eVGA told me I was SOL, no warranty: no barcode, no identification. If that's the case, they should BOTH claim warranty relevance. :mad:

I just talked to Mike at eVGA because I sold a [H] member a video card and he could not register it on the website. Mike stated that the warranty is non-transferable. WTF??? This is news to me, I thought they covered the product not the person who bought it. I find this shady and should have read the warranty rules more carefully.

Kinda of makes me change my view of eVGA.

Yeah if you don't register an EVGA card within 30days of purchase the Lifetime warranty becomes a limited 1yr warranty.

Taken from their website:

For our retail Graphics Card and Mainboard products purchased on or after June 22, 2005, EVGA will provide a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser of each retail product that the product will not suffer, in material or workmanship, from any defect that adversely affects the performance of the product. This lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product, based upon the following conditions:

* All EVGA Products purchased ON or AFTER November 1, 2006 MUST be registered within 30 days from ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE to receive full lifetime warranty. (All products not registered within 30 days will ONLY receive a 1 year limited warranty.)
* Removal and or Defacing of Serial/Part number sticker(s) on ANY EVGA products WILL void ALL warranties.
* ALL Defective products sent in for RMA replacement MUST INCLUDE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL INVOICE / RECEIPT. (Products NOT including invoice/receipt will be returned to the customer at customer’s expense.)
* Lifetime Warranty is for all retail Graphics Card and Mainboard products ending in the part numbers A, AR, AX, BR*, BX*, DR, DX, FR, FX, SG, SL, or S2.
* [Replacement products are shipped out as –BR or –BX and will carry the same lifetime warranty that your original purchase had based on your registration.]
* There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components that are caused by: Damage due to improper installation, damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of Aftermarket cooling installation, and water damage of any kind.
* All replacement products shipped out for replacement are recertified by EVGA to uphold the quality and guarantee of our products.
* All RMA products will require the customer to pay for shipping to EVGA. EVGA will cover all return shipping back for the RMA replacement with (Ground) Shipping through UPS.*

Blah...

I thought this was common knowledge... hell it's common SENSE.

The first thing that came to mind when I read the title of this thread was "WELL DUUUUUUH!"

I shouldnt have to register anything. I never register anything that I buy...

But they should still cover it if I have a freaking receipt.

SO screw Evga. BFG is where I go from now on.

XFX has a one time transferable lifetime warrantee. If u r the original purchaser and u register the product then u sell it the new buyer can reg the product and have a lifetime warrantee

I agree... i live XFXs double lifetime transferable.... even when registered... ebay, forum or person to person.

I don't see how this is a big deal either.

It takes about thirty seconds to register the card with the evga website and it makes getting them your invoice proving your date of purchase and all the other information extremely easy.

The fact that the lifetime warranty is not transferrable has been common knowledge for a while as well.

The only company offering a transferrable lifetime warranty is XFX. A good note here is that XFX also requires registration of the card in question with their website, by the original owner first and then if it's sold to someone else.. that person has to register it as well.

BFG's warranty policy is a lot more vague and lists almost no specifics whatsoever. If they're honoring the warranty regardless of the circumstances leading to the return then I guess hooray for the BFG fans. They'd be one of the very few companies ever to do something that financially... risky.

I think its bullshit and will never purchase another EVGA product..EVER!

The card was new and sealed....it makes no difference where he bought it ,,it was not a used card..it was new....

New and sealed.. sure. But how does EVGA know the ebay seller didn't violate the shipping requirements?

Shipping a card with no shipping protection other than styrofoam peanuts violates the warranty terms as well. They'll send your RMA right back to you and void your warranty if you send it in with inadequate packaging.

If that's in their policy.. then I can imagine they have agreements with Newegg and other retailers so that they know their products warranties aren't voided before the customer ever gets the product.

With eBay they have no way to check or be sure what the card may or may not have been through before it hit your hands. If it comes from newegg.. well it went from their factory onto a truck and to newegg's distro center/warehouse.

I still side with evga on this. I'm on my 5th evga card and I've had nothing but positive experiences with their service.

I was surprised when I read the first 8 words in the title, then the last 2 made me lol.

* All EVGA Products purchased ON or AFTER November 1, 2006 MUST be registered within 30 days from ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE to receive full lifetime warranty. (All products not registered within 30 days will ONLY receive a 1 year limited warranty.)

Oh hell I never registered my card?! Although I wonder how much they'd care...

EDIT: OH HOOO MAAAN. I bought my card on OCTOBER THE 31st. GODDAMN I'm lucky.

For the person who said it was common sense, well, no, it is not in fact. Like someone else in this thread said, they would be better served in clarifying this in paperwork recieved with the product.

The fact of the matter is, it is a rarity to find a company that will not provide support for a product that has been sold on eBay. Dell does, IBM does, Western Digital does, ...I'm pretty sure everyone does. Except for EVGA.

For our retail Graphics Card and Mainboard products purchased on or after June 22, 2005, EVGA will provide a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser of each retail product that the product will not suffer, in material or workmanship, from any defect that adversely affects the performance of the product. This lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product, based upon the following conditions:

* Removal and or Defacing of Serial/Part number sticker(s) on ANY EVGA products WILL void ALL warranties.
* ALL Defective products sent in for RMA replacement MUST INCLUDE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL INVOICE / RECEIPT. (Products NOT including invoice/receipt will be returned to the customer at customer’s expense.)
* Lifetime Warranty is for all retail Graphics Card and Mainboard products ending in the part numbers A, AR, AX, BR*, BX*, DR, DX, FR, FX, SG, SL, or S2.
* [Replacement products are shipped out as –BR or –BX and will carry the same lifetime warranty that your original purchase had based on your registration.]
* There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components that are caused by: Damage due to improper installation, damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of Aftermarket cooling installation, and water damage of any kind.
* All replacement products shipped out for replacement are recertified by EVGA to uphold the quality and guarantee of our products.
* All RMA products will require the customer to pay for shipping to EVGA. EVGA will cover all return shipping back for the RMA replacement with (Ground) Shipping through UPS.*

Blah...

Oh dear, I am seriously screwed...

Its just a way for evga to weasel out of replacement cards. They should warranty their product, not the person. I am on my 3rd evga now but I think I am done with them once I replace my 8800.

WTF is everybodys problem a company like them would have to be stupid to cover ebay sold products.

The shipping reason mentioned before is a good reason alone on top of that one theres the fact that these people are most likely NOT getting thier cards direct from EVGA thier getting them from store sales other sources ETC. ETC. that alone voids the warranty right there.

Just because the seller has an E-bay store dont mean thier a legitimate business most of the time its just a guy or couple guys selling stuff out of thier garages.

Personally i dont buy anything related to computers or anything expensive at all on E-bay because of 1 simple reason: how the hell do i know what i bought that said "New Sealed" is really new and sealed? for all i know they cleaned it real good and know how to shrink wrap (Most office supply stores sell shrink wrap supplys) it really isnt hard to clean something and wrap it up and claim its new and thats a hard one to prove against them if nobody ever took the time to register whatever it was. (Another reason to register...)

Bottom line is the hassle they are saving themselves by not honoring E-bay sales is only intelligent as a company like them.

I have to side with evga on this one, there's no telling where the people on e-bay got it from. For all they know they could've stolen them in mass quantities. If I were to run a business, I wouldn't want to warrant a possibly stolen and/or tampered card. I believe only warranting cards sold from reputable dealers is a solid business choice, but that's just me :).

BFG's warranty policy is a lot more vague and lists almost no specifics whatsoever. If they're honoring the warranty regardless of the circumstances leading to the return then I guess hooray for the BFG fans. They'd be one of the very few companies ever to do something that financially... risky.

Yeah, all of these companies have fine print in their warranty terms. I know for a fact that BFG doesn't cover the fans on the videocards, and you have to send it in and pay $60 for a repair or else the warranty is void!

I also don't blame evga for only warranting products from reputable dealers and the original purchaser. Who knows what the guy you bought it from did to it before you? I mean, evga is taking a lot of margin loss from offering these lifetime warranties and the stepup program, they gotta draw the line somewhere. The fact that they make some of the best products AND do all this for you, at some relatively good prices, really makes evga a cut above the crop.

Honestly, just buy products from good companies like evga, and only buy from good places like newegg. Look at it as paying $20 for insurance, cause newegg and evga most definitely will take care of you.

As I read the terms I don't it totally discounts all e-bay purchases. If a legitimate retailer sells something through e-bay, they should still supply you with a receipt, which will give you what you need for warranty purposes. The problem only occurs when you buy from an individual, and not a legit retailer.

The shipping idea is crap. Both my Step-up cards were sent in a brown EVGA box just big enough to hold the videocard box, no padding, no peanuts etc.

All EVGA has to do is put this disclaimer on the Warranty terms, along with a list of approved retailers/distributors. That would have put an end to this. Any Ebay site linking to the Warranty would have shown they were incorrect if the buyer would have looked. As it is now the Lifetime warranty would have looked legit. Remeber, not everyone who shops on Ebay knows about this practice. Think about all the teenagers who used their allowance/ saved money from work, Parents that got their kids a birthday present etc. I am sure they knew nothing about Warranty services......

I have to side with evga on this one, there's no telling where the people on e-bay got it from. For all they know they could've stolen them in mass quantities. If I were to run a business, I wouldn't want to warrant a possibly stolen and/or tampered card. I believe only warranting cards sold from reputable dealers is a solid business choice, but that's just me :).

A local computer store could just as easily have stolen cards and put them on the shelves, but eVGA apparently honors warranties if you buy them there.

I understand that eBay can be risky business, but it's not right of them to deny warranty coverage based on a chosen method of purchasing when many of the large retailers on eBay also have brick-and-mortar establishments selling the same products.

Newegg has in the past done some very questionable things like ship hard drives in a thin layer of bubble wrap with insufficient packing around them, yet HDD manufacturers honor warranties on drives sold by Newegg. There is no good excuse for refusing to warranty a product unless you can prove abuse.

I have to side with EVGA on this one. Sellers can pretty much say whatever they want in their auction and get away with it. Overstock.com is another good example of incorrect warranty terms on many items. What do they care what happens to it after it's sold? They don't....

Honestly, just buy products from good companies like evga, and only buy from good places like newegg. Look at it as paying $20 for insurance, cause newegg and evga most definitely will take care of you.

At the risk of turning this into an argument, I hate this sort of thinking. Small businesses have a hard enough time competing with Newegg and the likes; it's a slap in the face to the little guy when big companies refuse to honor warranties because the product wasn't sold by another big company.

We should not be tolerating big companies that act like this; they're trying rip off their consumers and make us smile while they do it...and here some of you are saying "Well, that's what you get for not buying from a big retailer."

I wonder if you say the same about Wal-Mart...

I have to side with EVGA on this one. Sellers can pretty much say whatever they want in their auction and get away with it. Overstock.com is another good example of incorrect warranty terms on many items. What do they care what happens to it after it's sold? They don't....

The question is, what does EVGA's warranty say that excludes eBay purchases?

I would say the words "approved retailer" answers that question.

The question is, what does EVGA's warranty say that excludes eBay purchases?

It doesn't say anything......but the guy probably didnt do two things:
1..register the card on evga's site
2..have a legit receipt
or something else happened that he aint telling.
The warranty is plain and simple.
By the way.....BFG's lifetime warranty applies to the original purchaser only as well. They just tend not to ask for receipts, or you can tell the RMA guy you got it as a gift and didnt get a receipt.....that might work once in a while.

I RMA'd a newegg evga card a while back and they asked for the receipt.
If you buy eBay its as is, buyer beware and should be accepted in that light.

So how would the warranty work if I won my card. I just won an evga 8800GTS. I don't have an invoice or a receipt.

Maybe I should call them.

At the risk of turning this into an argument, I hate this sort of thinking. Small businesses have a hard enough time competing with Newegg and the likes; it's a slap in the face to the little guy when big companies refuse to honor warranties because the product wasn't sold by another big company.

We should not be tolerating big companies that act like this; they're trying rip off their consumers and make us smile while they do it...and here some of you are saying "Well, that's what you get for not buying from a big retailer."

I wonder if you say the same about Wal-Mart...

Ok you're confusing "good" and "big." I'm not talking about "big" companies, there's a million and one that I hate. Honestly, theres really maybe only 5 companies that I like. Are they tiny? no, but they're not huge like best buy or circuit city. They're big retailers too, but I purposely don't buy from them when I can, because I want to support "good" business.

Not "big" business.

Zipzoomfly is big too, but they're horrible to deal with, if you can even get on the phone to deal with them.

And how is buying from newegg getting ripped off? Last I checked, they had the best prices around.

And if a store doesn't have warranty approval, that's THEIR FAULT. In fact you should be mad at the STORE, and not EVGA for not applying for approval by evga in the first place.

http://evga.com/stepup/systemvendor/default.asp

Get your facts straight.

Once again before you completely forget the details of what I said and go off into a rant, I'm talking about GOOD business. Not BIG business.

thats why I always buy my video card @ CompUSA a little bit expensive but worth it if bought with their TAP warranty...basically if 8900GTX or R600 comes out (within a year though) or whatever I'm covered :) ....

Wow, evga is weasiling thier way out, thats pretty lame.

I dont' care where a card is sold, it should still honor the warranty. IMO I think this is an easy way to avoid the whole "lifetime warranty". They should modify thier policy so that it either states auction sites or non vendor approved sites and they should changed their warranty name to "Lifetime Warranty For the 1st Purchaser"

Back