EVGA is launching a triple-fan ICX cooler for the 1080 Ti

If it cools as good as it looks, it gets my vote :cool: Hmmm..do I see dual 8pin connectors or is that an optical illusion?

That is one bad ass card. I would love to get one of those! Thanks for the share, when does it drop?

Gigabyte's G1 and higher series always has 3 fans as well...I always prefer Gigabyte's custom cards

If one plans on water-cooling, does it matter which card you buy?

If one plans on water-cooling, does it matter which card you buy?

Depends. If you're not into power limit mods you'd want one that has a high TDP already. Also make sure it's compatible with the block of course.

Interesting- any particular reason or just brand loyalty?

EVGA is solid...I just like Gigabyte's design and cooling and it has served me well for my last 2 GPU's...you can't really go wrong with any of the Nvidia partners- MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA...so in a way it is brand loyalty

EVGA is solid...I just like Gigabyte's design and cooling and it has served me well for my last 2 GPU's...you can't really go wrong with any of the Nvidia partners- MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA...so in a way it is brand loyalty

Can't go wrong with EVGA? Have you missed the last two generation of their Nvidia releases?

Interesting- any particular reason or just brand loyalty?

EVGA cards are generally aggressively binned to fit their business model of selling a ton of SKUs per model, whereas with other brands you can get lucky with some very high clocking/ASIC cards even with the lower price models.

Does the iCX technology work without any additional software? I've ready elsewhere that if you put new TIM on your GPU the fans will run lower from better thermals but that it can hurt other components because of less airflow. Does iCX counter that?

Does the iCX technology work without any additional software? I've ready elsewhere that if you put new TIM on your GPU the fans will run lower from better thermals but that it can hurt other components because of less airflow. Does iCX counter that?

To me iCX looks like more shit to go wrong or for people fuck up while tweaking. ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte all offer cards with no bullshit coolers that just spin up when the card gets hot and turn off when the card is cool.

I wonder if they remembered to put thermal pads on the VRM this time? :penguin:

yeah I've been a huge evga fanboy for years but I don't really trust them right now. I'm happier with MSI right now.

yeah I've been a huge evga fanboy for years but I don't really trust them right now. I'm happier with MSI right now.
Watch Steve's analysis of ICX and tell me you don't trust EVGA.

"ICX has made excellently informed engineering decisions"
"We hope EVGA licenses its patents ... to other vendors"
"Overall, job well done by EVGA"

Yeah, been running EVGA for a while now too, that whole issue with them not shipping cards with proper cooling really rubbed me the wrong way, not that it affected me but it could have. For anyone that spent that kind of money on their card, I bet they were angry as to why it was overlooked. MSI or Zotac will probably be my next card, hoping to get a 1080 at a reasonable price once the Ti's come out. Heck I may even wait for Vega and see what kind of numbers it can dish out before making my decision.

Watch Steve's analysis of ICX and tell me you don't trust EVGA.

"ICX has made excellently informed engineering decisions"
"We hope EVGA licenses its patents ... to other vendors"
"Overall, job well done by EVGA"

who the heck is Steve? I don't take youtube video reviews as gospel.

The fact that he even says he wants EVGA to license patents to other vendors is ridiculous. Zero chance at that, anyone with half a brain knows that they'd never do that.

Yeah, been running EVGA for a while now too, that whole issue with them not shipping cards with proper cooling really rubbed me the wrong way, not that it affected me but it could have. For anyone that spent that kind of money on their card, I bet they were angry as to why it was overlooked. MSI or Zotac will probably be my next card, hoping to get a 1080 at a reasonable price once the Ti's come out. Heck I may even wait for Vega and see what kind of numbers it can dish out before making my decision.

I'm as happy with my MSI GTX 1080 gaming X as I've ever been. Love the cooler. Zero problems. I had an Asus Strix GTX 1080 but had problems with it. I also have a PNY GTX 1060 card and it's exceeded expectations. But I'd highly recommend MSI right now, those guys really have something (not huge on the "twin frozr" naming but it is great).

Ive got an EVGA 1060 3GB and it has done just fine.
But then again, I dont drive my stuff nearly as hard as most of you do.

Not gking to risk with EVGA. They had way too many design flaws in last few generations. They can promise everything, but I won't risk my hard earned money to that kind of company.

How many inches is the Card? I could fit in my case but I would need to move some drives around.

This is going to be harder to find than a Kingpin card I bet...... scalpers will buy everything I bet for the first 2-3 months.

Last edited:
No issues with my FTW 980Ti, I know they've had some misses with pascal early on but I feel they got enough bad press from that to not make the same mistake again. Besides that the ICX cooler looks really good, both aesthetically and from a functional perspective. If I decide to upgrade to a 1080ti it will be this model I get.

Every manufacturer has their slip ups. Wasn't it gigabyte who a couple years back used the same cooler on a brand new card as they did on a previous gen card that caused only half their heat pipes to actually make contact with the GPU die?

Not gking to risk with EVGA. They had way too many design flaws in last few generations. They can promise everything, but I won't risk my hard earned money to that kind of company.
Really? I have 2 x GTX 980 ACX in SLI that are doing just fine. Just the the 780, 680 and others before that.

If the stock illuminated GEFORCE GTX wasn't enough, the EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti FTW3 is too much branding for my tastes.

I've been using Evga cards for years. In fact been using them exclusively since bfgtech shut down. That's a long time. Whenever I've had a problem with a bad card for whatever the reason they have replaced it in a timely fashion without issues. I have no complaints with Evga. Not to mention American speaking reps in California and you can get them on the phone in the seconds. They are very good. I'm not into jumping through hoops and trying to explain to someone on the phone in Bali what my issue is. No thanks. RMAs with Evga don't take weeks like Asus or some other overseas based company. Usually inside a week it's done.

I'll be ordering two 1080ti's hopefully on Friday from Evga. Thanks.

Reactions: Elios
like this
Back