EVGA Hybrid Liquid Cooler Teardown

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have one of these on my GTX 1080 FE. Combine that with shorting some resistors on the PCB to remove power limit altogether, it stays steady at one clock speed and voltage and doesn't move during gaming :)

I remember that one......

The "AC S2" was all show and no go. Right in the same que as the 'Phantom Console".....
And EVGA was never featured here again, I think excepting on of their "classified" motherboards a while back.

I have one of these on my GTX 1080 FE. Combine that with shorting some resistors on the PCB to remove power limit altogether, it stays steady at one clock speed and voltage and doesn't move during gaming :)

That sounds like it'll certainly void your warranty :D

EVGA tried passing off a turd cooler as something amazing and they got shown for what they were doing, so if they are upset then I would liken them to a bunch of whinebag mamas boys that need to grow up and learn from their mistakes.

Hopefully no one thought these were anything special. EVGA is charging a ~$50 markup over the cost of a normal 120mm single rad AIO cooler and a plastic box (aka shroud) in these hybrid kits. For the extra $50 you get a good GPU mount and EVGA's good customer service.

Last edited:
this video actually made me ill..something about how it was filmed. 60fps maybe?

I remember that one......

The "AC S2" was all show and no go. Right in the same que as the 'Phantom Console".....
And EVGA was never featured here again, I think excepting on of their "classified" motherboards a while back.
Power supplies, too. Most recent one was April of this year. But [H] buys these off the shelf, if I'm not mistaken.

EVGA 600B - EVGA 600B Entry Level Power Supply Review
Hopefully no one thought these were anything special. EVGA is charging a ~$50 markup over the cost of a normal 120mm single rad AIO cooler and a plastic box (aka shroud) in these hybrid kits. For the extra $50 you get a good GPU mount and EVGA's good customer service.
To be fair, a G10 or NG10 plus a good 120mm AIO is not much cheaper than the hybrid kit from EVGA.

Anyone know if the plate on the 980/980ti/TitanX version is the same size as the 1080/1070? I have the 980 version, just wondering. BTW This dropped my peak temps from 80+ C to around 48 C maximum. No more thermal throttling ever, just due to voltage.

Anyone know if the plate on the 980/980ti/TitanX version is the same size as the 1080/1070? I have the 980 version, just wondering. BTW This dropped my peak temps from 80+ C to around 48 C maximum. No more thermal throttling ever, just due to voltage.
It should fit, but don't all 1080s come with a backplate already? The reference version of both the 1080 and 1070 both do, and I don't think I've seen an AIB card come without one yet.

Love my hybrid cooler on my titan-x. Sure it's a simple design but it works. I only hit power related throttling never thermal and never get over 50c. Stock coolers on nvidia cards are like vacuum cleaners too me. Way too damn loud. The hybrid cooler never gets audible over the rest of my case fans.

Back