EVGA Hybrid 980 Ti $689.99 at Amazon w/Prime

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Jet has $30 off to new members and free return waiver to get it down to $644.81, but again you would have to want to use Jet.com :p

Jet has $30 off to new members and free return waiver to get it down to $644.81, but again you would have to want to use Jet.com :p

I was skeptical at first using Jet but I have to attest that their customer service has been nothing short of great for me. I had purchased a Phantom 3 advanced from them and when it arrived it was as though someone had already opened it. I didn't want to take a chance that someone had damaged it so I gave Jet a call and they couldn't have been any nicer each time that I spoke with them. Plus, since Indiana is now taxed on Amazon, Jet is fairly competitive for us Hoosiers.

First Newegg and now Amazon..
Seems like us Hoosiers are doomed to pay taxes on almost all major online retailers.
Yay..

I am very happy with my Hybrid. It was a toss up between the hybrid, the classified, and MSI Lightning and I am very glad I went with the hybrid. It makes almost no noise, overclocks decently (about 1425), and never hits more than 60c no matter how hard I push it . I would buy another one. As games get more demanding I probably will buy another one.

I really would like a 980ti but all these dam rumors of pascal dropping has me holding off.

Precisely what has me holding off. I want to get rid of my 970 SLI in favor of a 980 Ti but not if Pascal is around the corner.

Dang, that's a lot of money to drop on something that will possibly obsolete in short order. I made the mistake, unfortunately, of purchasing a 4k monitor and now I wish I had not since it seems like it takes 2 of these things to drive it for games. That's over 1200 dollars whereas I could just run in 1080P on a much lesser card for half the money for full effects.

I recently upgraded to 980 SLI and returned one of the cards when I read about Pascal coming this year. The wait is killing me and since I want the Ti version, I'll probably have to wait another 6+ months after the original 1080 version is released.

Dang, that's a lot of money to drop on something that will possibly obsolete in short order. I made the mistake, unfortunately, of purchasing a 4k monitor and now I wish I had not since it seems like it takes 2 of these things to drive it for games. That's over 1200 dollars whereas I could just run in 1080P on a much lesser card for half the money for full effects.

A 980ti obsolete? Pascal isn't that big of a game changer and a 980ti will be just as good then as it is today.

This is a good price for a great card that won't be obsolete anytime soon.

Granted this is just my opinion, but I personally highly doubt that the 980ti will be obsolete any time real soon. The GTX 980ti replacement will likely be a ways off (late this year or early next) and the 980 replacement, which should be released before the ti, will only be slightly faster than the current 980ti, but I bet will be priced at $550-600 which you can just about get a 980ti for currently anyway and not have to wait 4-6 months.

Also, no issues with jet.com here, did several orders though them (2 of which were fulfilled by NewEgg).

Just chiming in to say I love my hybrid. If you're on the fence about which 980ti to buy, I can wholeheartedly recommend this one. Mine does over 1500 OC and destroys everything I throw at it at 1440p.

I am very happy with my Hybrid. It was a toss up between the hybrid, the classified, and MSI Lightning and I am very glad I went with the hybrid. It makes almost no noise, overclocks decently (about 1425), and never hits more than 60c no matter how hard I push it . I would buy another one. As games get more demanding I probably will buy another one.

I just got one myself to replace a 980 ACX 2.0 in my HTPC. I fold on it and that thing is loud when I crank the fans up to 100% to keep it cool. Really hoping I wont have to push the fans to hard to keep the temps in check with the hybrid so I can lower the volume on the TV a little. What's the most you've stressed it to reach those 60C temps? Ambient temp? Do you have one or two fans on the radiator?

I just got one myself to replace a 980 ACX 2.0 in my HTPC. I fold on it and that thing is loud when I crank the fans up to 100% to keep it cool. Really hoping I wont have to push the fans to hard to keep the temps in check with the hybrid so I can lower the volume on the TV a little. What's the most you've stressed it to reach those 60C temps? Ambient temp? Do you have one or two fans on the radiator?

i have a single NF-P12 on my rad running at 1300 RPM and even when i was running 1.283V 1500 MHz my temps never exceeded 55C. on stock clocks/volts it never went over 45C.

Would this be enough to run 3440x1440 X34. I'm contemplating if I should get this or the Titan X due to higher VRAM.

It won't be as silent as asus strix at idle due to pump noise but on load it is very quiet especially if you replace the fan with better more silent fans.

I said I'd never buy a crazy expensive video card like this, but ....well... I guess I'm a liar

I kinda wished I bought these instead of the FTW version and a new case since my card (EVGA 980 ti FTW) idles around high 50's to low 60 due to poor air circulation in my HAF 932 which i need to fix. Weird thing is when I had the 980 reference version, i had lower idle temps.

Precisely what has me holding off. I want to get rid of my 970 SLI in favor of a 980 Ti but not if Pascal is around the corner.

I really would like a 980ti but all these dam rumors of pascal dropping has me holding off.

I upgraded to the 980 Ti FTW SLI from a 980 and don't regret upgrading even though Pascal is around the corner. The reason is because I'm gambling on the Pascal Ti version to be released a year later after the initial release. At least this way, I have a +/- a yr or so to power up the Acer x34 G-sync version i just ordered and I'm upgrading from a Dell U3415W.

Last edited:
I upgraded from SLI 970's to a 980ti and I think its faster in most games, esp now that ARK supports DX12! :)

Details? :) I am looking for a card to get in this price range. I have used AMD but the drivers tend to be have issues

Would this be enough to run 3440x1440 X34. I'm contemplating if I should get this or the Titan X due to higher VRAM.

I've got the Asus Strix 980 ti and it powers the x34 pretty well. You'll have to make some compromises on certain games. I've only done some limited testing so I can only tell you what I've experienced so far...

Shadow of Morder is always above 60 fps with all max settings (ultra textures as well).

Rise of the Tomb Raider is high 20s - low 30s with everything on max. Turn off anti-aliasing and it'll jump up to 50-60 fps.

Metro 2033 is around 30 fps with everything maxed. I don't know why that game is so hard to run.

And i'm sure you already know that G-Sync makes everything seem a lot better :)

crysis's performance was justified, 2033 is a horribly optimized pile of shit. don't know about 2033 redux but last light was optimized much better so i imagine 2033 redux runs just as well. i tried testing 2033 the other day and was absolutely appalled at the graphics and performance, it looks much worse than i remember and performance is even worse.

the best card at the moment is the 980 Ti, it's not a contest at this price bracket especially when you factor in overclocking. the best 980 Ti is the Lightning. you can get the LE version which sheds the LN2 stuff and knocks like $90 off the price making it about $10 more than the Hybrid. no real good reason to buy one of these cards over the Lightning (other than warranty and support) as it somehow has the best acoustics ever for an air cooler, the lowest temperatures outside of custom loop water, Classified/Kingpin level power delivery, and a high end voltage controller.

This thread completely derailed :)

I was itching to make that very mistake, especially around BF deals but luckily I never found a deal on a 32" monitor. I am at 109 ppi via my 27" 1440p Catleap, I wanted a substantial ppi gain @139ppi while keeping a grip on scaling by using a 32" monitor. I had set a 2k budget for the 4k upgrade (2 980 TI's +32" monitor) but could not make it work in 2015. Past increments indicate a single Pascal won't pull 4k off either, I think people see die shrink+new architecture+dx12 and start dreaming big. OLED won't drop to or below $1000 for a while but assuming a TI version of Pascal comes out this year, towards the end of 2016 I should be able to to fit all 3 parts in my budget.

Back