eVGA GTX780 and i7 [email protected] or 4770K?

Toto

n00b
eVGA SC GTX780 and i7 [email protected] or 4770K?

I just got 03G-P4-2784-KR and my current PC is : i7 920 6GB mem, clocked at 3.6GHz i was wondering how big is going to be the difference if i change the MoBo CPU and mem with 4770K and i guess ill clock it around 4.6GHz the build is preparing for BF4?

Keep your actual CPU... You eill have enough power to handle nicely BF4.... If you can bump up a bit to 3.8ghz, you will have still a champion chip for long time... Save money and buy a dedicated SSD for BF4 that as BF3 it will need due to loooong time load screens or to buy more and faster RAM. IDK your cooler but you can even save for a good cooler and bump your chip to 4.0ghz and you will have much less heat issues with your i7 920 than a i7 4770K at 4.6ghz the sweet spot for 4770K are 4.3-4.5ghz and the temps are really high. Then pass from 4.5 it will skyrocket and will need custom WC to handle good temps... My vote its to keep your chip..

I'm doing perfectly fine with SLI 780s and a 930 @ 4.1GHz, also 6GB of RAM. That said if I'm doing anything other than perfectly fine with BF4 I'll be upgrading to Ivy-E. If not I'm holding out for Haswell E.

why not wait till the game comes out, then decide if you need to upgrade or not. my guess if you play bf3 well then you probably wont have a hard time playing bf4 seeing how its pretty much bf3 2.0.

why not wait till the game comes out, then decide if you need to upgrade or not. my guess if you play bf3 well then you probably wont have a hard time playing bf4 seeing how its pretty much bf3 2.0.

Thats a good point...

I ran my 920 easily @4.0 and with some minor instability @ 4.1. You've got plenty of OC headroom there.

Thanks for the answers guys, i was busy at work and didnt had a chance to check the tread till now. I already have 2 256GB Vertex 3, the cooler is corsair h50 and the one thing that actually make me worrie is that from 6GB i can see only 4 for some reason i think is either one of the memory sticks or the Mobo. ill get the 780gtx wednesday and ill play a little with the machine, I was just wondering how big is going to be the diference between i7 [email protected] and [email protected] in real gameplay. I know if actually significant that would cost me around 1000$ to get the new build. And i was kinda hoping it would be very small.

the cooler is corsair h50 and the one thing that actually make me worrie is that from 6GB i can see only 4 for some reason i think is either one of the memory sticks or the Mobo

Sounds like you have either 3 x 2GB sticks or 1 x 4GB and 1 x 2GB. IIRC the i920 is dual channel memory so they have to be in the right colored slots (first bank as per MOBO recommendations if not filling up all DIMM slots) and equal sizes? I could be wrong on that last part though. Would explain why it's only showing 4GB since either one slot isn't filled in (3 out of 4) or the sizes are different.

Its been awhile so someone educate me as well as confirm what I'm thinking.

[EDIT] i7 920 was still using the Triple Channel platform. Disregard.

Last edited:
I say ditch that old CPU/mobo and get with the times. Get a real mobo with real intel 6G disk controller, get a real SSD, a 4770k and be done. SB was a big step up from my 4.0 920, never looked back. And that was years ago, lol. I say upgrade.

WellIts old eVGA Classified Mobo with 3x2GB sticks it used to work OK for 2 and a half years but something happened like 6 months ago and 2GB just disappeared. As much as i hate to have to spend that much money i just think if its the MoBo i dont have much of a choice. It has old gtx260 on it and thats why i ordered gtx780 because 260 doesnt going to cut it anymore. But then i was thinking what i should do stay with the current rig + 780 or just put a new rig together. I am trying to justify for myself and my wife spending that money :) so far i think ill try one more time with another set of memory if the problem still exist and if its the mobo ill go for the 4770k which is going to hurt since my deal with the missis is whatever i spent on PC she spent on shoes :)

running a 780 with a [email protected]. clock for clock, its a bit slower than the new gen cpus. It's up to you to decide if you want to spend to squeeze out all the performance you can get.

Encountered missing ram issue early on when I built this comp. Turned out it was the ram.

Well it turn out the mobo is gone bad, USB ports stop working. So its decided ill get 4770k and some mobo, i was looking at ASRock Z87 Extreme4 to pair it with 4770K and Corsair H80I any thoughts? How is the MoBo the cooler is ok, I like them Corsair. I used to have heavy duty water cooling with 2 loops but its too much hassle to maintain it. And at this point i am trying to spend less money since the heavily enforced equal spendage... My current PSU is 600W OCZ or something like that, I will need and better PSU i was wondering between these 3:

Silverstone Evolution 750W 80 Plus Gold

Corsair Professional Series HX750 750W

EVGA Supernova NEX750G 750W

By the way any suggestions for 2x4GB kit of memory?

I know there is much better boards but i dont want this upgrade to kill my wallet and since i already got the gtx780 ill have to choose some cheaper MoBo instead...

@Slade i guess it was the ram but i think my MoBo just gave up now i barely can see post screen no matter how many sticks of ram, Restored to default settings doesn't help much. I can see POST screen till the model of cpu and it hangs there. Cant use the USB ports had to find old PS/2 keyboard but still doesnt work after 1-2 seconds in BIOS.. I think the PC is trying to tell me that is dying :)

Well at least my wife is happy she just got to choose more expensive shoes i guess :)

Last edited:
4770k will be better

That doesn't answer my latest questions? Anyway i knew is going to be better my original question was how much better, but thats not important anymore.

I have those questions for the PSU MoBo and memory that are more important at the moment because i have to order the parts the latest tomorrow.

I say ditch that old CPU/mobo and get with the times. Get a real mobo with real intel 6G disk controller, get a real SSD, a 4770k and be done. SB was a big step up from my 4.0 920, never looked back. And that was years ago, lol. I say upgrade.

I say you have no idea what you are talking about. Do some research before spreading misinformation.

That doesn't answer my latest questions? Anyway i knew is going to be better my original question was how much better, but thats not important anymore.

I have those questions for the PSU MoBo and memory that are more important at the moment because i have to order the parts the latest tomorrow.
I had a similar thread some time ago and if you can clock that 920 a bit higher as most use to get very close to 4Ghz with decent cooling (nothing fancy like water just good air will do), then you will be just fine.

Take a look at my thread:
Thread Link

Here is one of the tests that opened my eye and they just ran it at 2.66!
Tests

I say you have no idea what you are talking about. Do some research before spreading misinformation.

I gotta agree with Brahmzy. My buddy has been holding on to his 920 almost since it came out and even oc'd, it just doesn't handle BF3 nearly as well as my old 2500k did. At this point and even with the oc, he just doesn't want to deal with the lower performance anymore and is looking for a new setup. Satisfaction is relative. A lot of people on this forum still say the 920 is fine for new games. My friends and I all disagree.

Well I showed you proof that it works fine and that was at a lame 2.66ghz and I have played BF3 very nicely on my system, so sorry, I dont buy it.
The evidence is out there, nothing to argue about or debate. Its very clear.

Last edited:
Back