evga gtx690 signature series + backplate = dead card?

Mewohkie

Weaksauce
So I just bought the signature series and I bought the water block and a backplate for the card. Everything fit on fine but the second I powered up the system it would instant off. After troubleshooting I found it was having this card in the system that was doing it. I swapped the card with a 8600gts and achieved boot.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Or is there a secret I'm unaware of when adding a backplate on.

I would check the EVGA.com forums - I've heard of other users experiencing this. It's basically a short on the card due to improper installation IIRC. It was enough to make me say "forget it" to getting a backplate for my 690.

You'll also get quick answers/support there and since EVGA staff patrols it, it'll help with your RMA/etc.

I just put a EVGA 690, EVGA backplate, and Koolance waterblock together yesterday. Screen went blank and PC locked shortly after installing the drivers. Fortunately I had AIDA64 up and saw the GPU temps were over 100 C. I took it all down again and saw that the blocks weren't touching the GPUs. Turns out if you use the stock GPU screws the block won't seat because the screws aren't fully threaded. Koolance intructions say that you can use the stock screws but you definitely can't with EVGAs screws. Used the Koolance screws and GPU temps are 30 C as we speak.

You didn't say what block you are using. If it's the EVGA, I believe they fixed their block issues a while ago. The backplate fits perfectly. Good luck.

New card arrived.

Still have a problem.

Pin test the PSU. Working.
Plug in everything leaving out power to video card. Working.
Plug in power to card. PSU instant off.

I have not removed the stock cooler from the new card yet. I'm ready to punch a baby at this point. It's been over 2 and a half weeks. Please help.

EDIT: Parts

I7 3960x extreme edition CPU
gtx690 signature Series GPU
32gb quad channel mem
gigabyte assasin2 mobo
2x 3tb HDD
1 Samsung 256gb ssd
1 Swiftech mcp655 pump
1 swiftech apogee drive II cpublock/pump
2 NZXT 200mm fans
2 NZXT 140mm fans
Rosewill 1300w lightning PSU

Last edited:
Tried an 8600 in the system, it boots
Tried the 690 in another system, it boots

Tried using the power adapter cables that came with the card just to see, no change. System still instant off's the moment it is powered up.

Have you tried using a different modular connector for the video card? Perhaps you just have a shakey cable.

Hmmmm, sounds like your 690 and PSU are having issues working togther since the 690 boots in a different system. Take a close look at your modular cables to be sure they are plugged in properly and securely. If that doesn't work swap out the PSU with the one from the other system to see if you can boot.

Yeah, my 690 won't boot in my 2500k box (info in sig) - didn't spend a lot of time troubleshooting it yet, but it pissed me off. I'm guessing it's the modular cable or perhaps a short. GTX 650 Ti currently in that box, lol...fine enough for HTPC duty but not for much more!

Back to your situation - since I've experienced similar (but not solved it) - try looking for a short or trying a different power cable from your PSU (if it's modular). Or throw that Rosewill in the trash and get a quality PSU. :)

Yeah, my 690 won't boot in my 2500k box (info in sig) - didn't spend a lot of time troubleshooting it yet, but it pissed me off. I'm guessing it's the modular cable or perhaps a short. GTX 650 Ti currently in that box, lol...fine enough for HTPC duty but not for much more!

Back to your situation - since I've experienced similar (but not solved it) - try looking for a short or trying a different power cable from your PSU (if it's modular). Or throw that Rosewill in the trash and get a quality PSU. :)

That Rosewill IS a quality unit. Its a rebranded Superflower unit. Great quality on all fronts. Easily better then then the Cooler Master in your second rig.

Again, I'd suggest trying another modular cable. If all else fails, RMA the PSU. Sometimes duds happen.

That Rosewill IS a quality unit. Its a rebranded Superflower unit. Great quality on all fronts. Easily better then then the Cooler Master in your second rig.

Again, I'd suggest trying another modular cable. If all else fails, RMA the PSU. Sometimes duds happen.

I stand corrected. Although, interestingly enough - they both received 9.0 out of 10 scores from jonnyguru.com. :)

And yes, I don't particularly like that PSU. It was part of a used, complete PC purchase. It would not have been something I would have bought myself.

Last edited:
I tried the PSU and the 690 in a different system and achieved boot. I went back and looked at the motherboard, it's likely the cause. Ive RMA'ed it after I tried a different psu and card in this board again and it failed to boot. Now we play the waiting game.

Back