EVGA GTX260 216 - No 2d mode (dual display)

Iching

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi!

I have just noticed that my GTX260 216 does not go into 2d mode. )-: I have been using dual setup for quite some time. It idles at 55 Celsius with fan set to 50 percent. Once I disable one of the displays it down clocks itself beautifully at idles below 49 Celsius. I tried different drivers but to no avail. Should I bother with the RMA or just sell and go back to my beloved ATI?:)

p.s. Increasing the fan is out of the question since I cannot stand the noise while working. My case is LIAN LI PC-A70F with 8 fans.

Thanks!

This is intended behavior, the drivers keep the card in 3D mode when you have more than one monitor connected. Unless you actually load up the GPU, the fan shouldn't spin up at all.

I'm currently sitting at 53c with the fan at only 40%, perhapse you should make sure the card is getting proper airflow in your case, it sounds like it's running disproportionately hot.

This is intended behavior, the drivers keep the card in 3D mode when you have more than one monitor connected. Unless you actually load up the GPU, the fan shouldn't spin up at all.

I'm currently sitting at 53c with the fan at only 40%, perhapse you should make sure the card is getting proper airflow in your case, it sounds like it's running disproportionately hot.

The card should down clock itself in 2d mode irrelevant of the number of displays. I did check other forums and 2d mode does not work for anyone with more than 2 displays. Others said it is so because of the Intel chipset. The airflow is good.:)

it wont downclock with in dual displays.. its one of the many problems with nvidia's drivers.. ATI's 5k series are similar but they use 2 levels.. single display 2D, multi display 2D and then 3D mode.. something nvidia's failed at miserably.. the clock modes are all software controled so theres no friggin reason why nvidia cant fix it.. yet they dont even bother..

the fan is inaudible below 60%.. so just set the fan between 30-60% and you should be perfectly fine.. i dont even start hearing my fan until 90% because im running 5 tri-cool fans on high in an antec 300 case.. 648/1404/1188 @ 60% my gpu's idling at 43C

According to Nvidia, it's not a bug or anything that needs to be "fixed", it's intended behavior. When you have multiple displays plugged in, the card is supposed to stay at 3D clocks at all times.

The card should down clock itself in 2d mode irrelevant of the number of displays.

Sorry, but Nvidia say otherwise. This is lifted directly from the release notes from 196.21:

"GPU Runs at a High Performance Level (full clock speeds) in
Multi-display Modes

This is a hardware limitation and not a software bug. Even when no 3D programs are
running, the driver will operate the GPU at a high performance level in order to
efficiently drive multiple displays. In the case of SLI or multi‐GPU PCs, the second GPU
will always operate with full clock speeds; again, in order to efficiently drive multiple
displays. Today, all hardware from all GPU vendors have this limitation."

I personally use MSI Afterburner to create a 2D profile. Granted, it won't go lower than 470MHz on the core clock, but it's beter than nothing....

Last edited:
Sorry, but Nvidia say otherwise. This is lifted directly from the release notes from 196.21:

"GPU Runs at a High Performance Level (full clock speeds) in
Multi-display Modes

This is a hardware limitation and not a software bug. Even when no 3D programs are
running, the driver will operate the GPU at a high performance level in order to
efficiently drive multiple displays. In the case of SLI or multi‐GPU PCs, the second GPU
will always operate with full clock speeds; again, in order to efficiently drive multiple
displays. Today, all hardware from all GPU vendors have this limitation."

i love nvidia's answer.. and yet ATI completely proved that wrong with the 5k series.. so much for it being a limitation..

its basically nvidia's way of saying we dont give a rats ass about your electricity bill..

i love nvidia's answer.. and yet ATI completely proved that wrong with the 5k series.. so much for it being a limitation..
Nvidia's little disclaimer there only applies to Nvidia hardware, not ATi hardware. Nvidia believes they need to run 3D clocks in order to maintain an acceptable level of performance when you have two high-resolution displays hooked up.

I don't see why running 3D clocks is a problem. My card is running cool, the fan speed is staying all the way down at 40%, it's quiet, and it's performing great... As for your electric bill, aren't you already adding to that by running a second monitor in the first place?

Nvidia's little disclaimer there only applies to Nvidia hardware, not ATi hardware. Nvidia believes they need to run 3D clocks in order to maintain an acceptable level of performance when you have two high-resolution displays hooked up.

I don't see why running 3D clocks is a problem. My card is running cool, the fan speed is staying all the way down at 40%, it's quiet, and it's performing great... As for your electric bill, aren't you already adding to that by running a second monitor in the first place?

because in 2D mode its using half the amount of electricity then its using in 3D mode even at idle.. thats why.. for me it doesnt matter either since i run F@H.. but its still retarded.. and no you dont need the card to run in 3D mode for dual displays on the desktop.. ive forced my cards to 2D mode clocks and watched a bluray with hardware accel on with absolutely no problems.. so there is no excuse there for nvidia to not support 2D mode with multi-displays or even doing what ATI does with their multi display 2D mode and ill laugh if nvidia still doesnt support it with the GT100's..

Thank you for all your answers. So there is no way I can manually force my video card to down clock in 2d mode? )-:

p.s. I will sell the card and try to get AMD5870.

I noticed that even with one display the clocks tend to fluctuate when I am doing basically nothing... Hmmmm

To OP: Do you game? if not (or even still) just use a program like evga precision and downclock the card some. Maybe try lowering it 100MHz or so

To OP: Do you game? if not (or even still) just use a program like evga precision and downclock the card some. Maybe try lowering it 100MHz or so

Yep, I do game. I tried different scenarios and the only viable solution is to disconnect my second display but then I cannot watch movies wihle doing other things....:(

I got my GTX 260 to downclock to 470MHz core in 2D mode with MSI Afterburner, very easy to use, runs in the background, no hassles (and it's free)....and no need to disconnect the second monitor! That's only 170MHz short of the normal 2D clocks. You can also create a fan profile to keep the noise down, mines at 30% during 2D mode and I can't hear it. As I mentioned earlier, it's better than nothing, and will save you having to replace the card.

I got my GTX 260 to downclock to 470MHz core in 2D mode with MSI Afterburner, very easy to use, runs in the background, no hassles (and it's free)....and no need to disconnect the second monitor! That's only 170MHz short of the normal 2D clocks. You can also create a fan profile to keep the noise down, mines at 30% during 2D mode and I can't hear it. As I mentioned earlier, it's better than nothing, and will save you having to replace the card.

Thank you, I will give it a shot but still I am quite unhappy.:( What are your Idle temps?

Thank you, I will give it a shot but still I am quite unhappy.:( What are your Idle temps?

Idle temps are between 44 (this time of year) and 48 (summer, no a/c in this room!). My card has a twin fan design, so your temps may vary a little compared to mine, but not by much I would have thought.

I guess the tragedy here is lost on me... considering you can force the card to down-clock with a little bit of software (Rivatuner should do it), is it really something bad enough to sell the card over?

I've also seen performance issues with 2D clocks forced on dual 1920x1200 monitors; specifically, Aero Snap got a bit sluggish, as did Windows Media Center while playing video and navigating menus simultaneously. Going back to 3D clocks fixed these performance issues.

Now, that said, if you really are selling that GTX260...what's your asking price? I'll buy :D

I guess the tragedy here is lost on me... considering you can force the card to down-clock with a little bit of software (Rivatuner should do it), is it really something bad enough to sell the card over?

I've also seen performance issues with 2D clocks forced on dual 1920x1200 monitors; specifically, Aero Snap got a bit sluggish, as did Windows Media Center while playing video and navigating menus simultaneously. Going back to 3D clocks fixed these performance issues.

Now, that said, if you really are selling that GTX260...what's your asking price? I'll buy :D

Not a tragedy.;) The sale price would be $125.

Which brand is it? Some have transferable warranty's (like XFX's double-lifetime warranty), others do not. Obviously, used cards that will grant the new owner warranty coverage are worth more than used cards that don't :p

Which brand is it? Some have transferable warranty's (like XFX's double-lifetime warranty), others do not. Obviously, used cards that will grant the new owner warranty coverage are worth more than used cards that don't :p

Read the the post... I said EVGA. I would never buy a video card without a nice warranty.:)

I played a little bit with EVGA Precision and IDLE temps are aroung48 with fan set to 42 percent.... The ambient temperature is 38 degrees. I am going to have to contact EVGA and see what they have to say.

Read the the post... I said EVGA. I would never buy a video card without a nice warranty.:)
Nice warranty...for the original buyer. Guess you didn't check the fine print.

EVGA's warranty only covers the original purchaser, anybody who buys your card will be getting it with absolutely no warranty on it. That's going to make it a hard-sell.

I played a little bit with EVGA Precision and IDLE temps are aroung48 with fan set to 42 percent.... The ambient temperature is 38 degrees. I am going to have to contact EVGA and see what they have to say.

I would think that EVGA will (rightly IMHO) say that there is nothing wrong with that as an idle temp with reference cooling....

Agreed, those temps look perfectly fine to me as well.

I took Corsair H50 out and put my Sunbeam Core back and it lowered the temps by few degrees. I added one more 120mm fan on top of the video card. I am renting so I do not have to worry about the electricity bill but if I had to I would be more than upset.:) Anyways, I do have a lifetime warranty.:D

I fixed the problem. The issue can be fixed via Rivatuner. I am running dual setup, core clock is at constant 300MHz, memory clock is at 100MHz. All I have to say, this is bullocks on the side of Nvidia. I am watching Equilibrum 720p and my GTX stays super cool.

Thank you!

I fixed the problem. The issue can be fixed via Rivatuner. I am running dual setup, core clock is at constant 300MHz, memory clock is at 100MHz. All I have to say, this is bullocks on the side of Nvidia. I am watching Equilibrum 720p and my GTX stays super cool.

Thank you!

lol thats even lower then 2D mode.. 2D mode is 400/900/600

Back