EVGA GTX 980 TI burned components, fixable?

3dfan

Limp Gawd
the 980ti spreaded smoke from the power conector and the pc wont turn on after if i have the card connected with video card power cables anymore.

after opening the card and reaching the affected area, there seems to be 2 burned components (also smell like burned) marked in red on the pictures.

and interesting thing is that the card does not seem to be totaly dead, because if i connect it the pc and turn it on without conecting PSU power cables, the pc will turn on and will display a warning about conecting those cables to use the video card.

so i wonder if maybe some one have ever fixed this type of problem by replacing those components, i cant seem to find those components alone, but it would be interesting to know if some one have fixed and issue like this by just replacing those. and where to find those.
20190218_094230.jpg
20190218_094250.jpg

On your section picture the smaller resistor is a 5Mohm and the inducter is an R68. These are "relatively easy to source" parts and also relatively easy to replace. However even if you replace them you won't necessarily know if its a full fix or not until some time down the line. This is a power protection/measurement circuit for the PCIE 8pin power connector, so your mileage may vary on fixing them.

Those look pretty easy to replace given the size of the components and solder pads. I'd source the parts and give it a shot if you or someone you know is decent with an iron. I assume you are out of warranty period for the card? If you have a warranty I'd go that route first. But replacing the components can't hurt if you are otherwise stuck with a dead card.

thanks people for the help, unfortunately there seems other parts damaged has well, a technician tried replacing those in red bad components with no luck, the system simply wiill not power on when connecting the power cables to the card and then it was discovered that one of those chips was blowed up and in shor circuit and was not posible to remove it with heat gun nor with a rework reballing machine. :cry: so R.I.P

Attachments

• 20190218_094230 (2).jpg
    20190218_094230 (2).jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 0
Back