EVGA GTX 980 Hydro (does it make sense?)

Henri108

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,

So I was on the edge of buying a GTX 980 Hydro, thinking it was a classified with a waterblock on it. But it's just a reference 980 with a waterblock (that's what EVGA told me).
I would basically pay 250$ for a waterblock + installation. Does this even make sense?

Any input?

When it comes to hardware it doesn't always need to make sense, but the cost of waterblock on a classified seems a bit steep, most blocks are around the $99 range from Frozen CPU for example. Although ripping of the stock heatsink and fan is a bit of work if you haven't done it before.

I wouldn't put something under water unless you can really tweak voltage. To me it doesn't make sense.

I wouldn't put something under water unless you can really tweak voltage. To me it doesn't make sense.

Boom.

You can almost buy 2x air cooled cards (especially if you opt for GTX 970s) with that money. They're cool and power efficient cards - doesn't seem to make sense to water cool them at any cost due to the voltage and other tweak locks by NVIDIA. Maybe if it had the EVBOT connector - but those devices are $$$ now (EVGA no longer sells them). I heard there's a software "hack" version that you can use to emulate an EVBOT or some such - so maybe that route?

I would just for the sake of quietness.

My pump is already louder than my OC'ed air cooled GTX 770, so I wouldn't do it for quietness. I should probably see what the high end cards bring (GTX980Ti and 390x), these will be more power hungry I think. I already got a custom loop, just need to add the GPU.

Waste of time and money. At the end of the day yes, it is cool, and youll like it, but when it comes time to selling you will a ton more components to sell to make your money back. I regret buying 290 cards and then watercooling them. Sure it was super H, but a pain finding buyers to buy those blocks and cards.

Waste of time and money. At the end of the day yes, it is cool, and youll like it, but when it comes time to selling you will a ton more components to sell to make your money back. I regret buying 290 cards and then watercooling them. Sure it was super H, but a pain finding buyers to buy those blocks and cards.
At least your blocks will actually fit someone's card out there.

I made the poor choice to buy a full block for my 780 HOF...a custom PCB. I'm pretty much stuck with my card until it dies or else I'll end up eating $150 that I arguably stupidly dumped into water cooling it.

That said, I never exceed 40 degrees and it is whisper quiet, which is really why I did it, so the card is going to become irrelevant long before it dies most likely.

Boom.

You can almost buy 2x air cooled cards (especially if you opt for GTX 970s) with that money. They're cool and power efficient cards - doesn't seem to make sense to water cool them at any cost due to the voltage and other tweak locks by NVIDIA. Maybe if it had the EVBOT connector - but those devices are $$$ now (EVGA no longer sells them). I heard there's a software "hack" version that you can use to emulate an EVBOT or some such - so maybe that route?

The Classy tool gives GPU voltage control up to 1.55v on eVGA 980 Classified series cards.

Back