EVGA GTX 980 - $236.54 for Price Matching ONLY

Has anyone successfully price matched with a printed piece of paper or is everyone using the web browser in their phone?

best buy was willing to price match with just the printed paper.
office depot needed to see it live on one of their in store computers.

Actually for me it was the reverse, staples wanted to see it live, and so did Best Buy. Office Depot however was just fine with the printed paper. I guess it just depended on your employee.

I posted in the 970 thread - picked up a pair with no issue at my Best Buy (had two people to buy). It comes down to pure luck or in my case, being on a first name basis with the employee behind the counter from buying as much as I do.

Like was already mentioned......The biggest factor is the human factor in these things. While technically speaking most stores aren't supposed to match closeout prices or typo's a lot of employes may not have ever gotten in trouble for it and will do it since it appears to be good customer service. I have noticed wal-mart will fight tooth and nail any price match they can and companies like HD and Lowes, Staples will do it almost every time. BB seems to be a flip of the coin and really depends on who's working. Regarding whether its on paper or phone when you bring it in...There just trying to confirm its legit since anything over 50 dollars in markdown is much harder to explain to management and will definitely show up on thier weekly report

No. You can't even order the cards on staples.com paying full price. It was eol, hence the micro center price.
If that's the case, then how did some people here claim their 980(s) shipped, or did I misread it?

The "funny" thing is that Staples hasn't credited the $500+ to my CC yet. I'll go to my local Staples on Fri. saying WTF that my CC was charged but the 980s weren't delivered on Thurs. as originally scheduled.

It looks like all I got for this effort was a few insect bites at the store last week. Obviously I'm not blaming anyone here; just staples.com not knowing their inventory, apparently.

Like was already mentioned......The biggest factor is the human factor in these things. While technically speaking most stores aren't supposed to match closeout prices or typo's a lot of employes may not have ever gotten in trouble for it and will do it since it appears to be good customer service. I have noticed wal-mart will fight tooth and nail any price match they can and companies like HD and Lowes, Staples will do it almost every time. BB seems to be a flip of the coin and really depends on who's working. Regarding whether its on paper or phone when you bring it in...There just trying to confirm its legit since anything over 50 dollars in markdown is much harder to explain to management and will definitely show up on thier weekly report

I'm shocked that BB does it. I can remember buying an EQ expansion from BB and immediately going to Customer Service to price match Fry's (cause BB wouldn't give 110% if you price matched at the register. They wouldn't do it, claiming that it was a "Computer." I just returned it and drove a mile to Frys. Quit shopping from them for all but loss leaders for about 5 years...still stay away. I'd like to think it cost them more than the $15.00 or $20.00 difference on the game.

Has anyone successfully price matched with a printed piece of paper or is everyone using the web browser in their phone?

Last Fri., I gave the piece of paper and that was enough for the employee, who never heard of MC, even though there's one about 30-40 mi. away.

The chick who greeted me at the store didn't even know what a video card was. She radioed in for backup and some guy showed me their "collection" of video cards for sale. And I use quotes b/c the most powerful card they had was an AMD 5450 that was selling for a rip off price of $50. :eek: But that was the guy who never heard of MC, neither did their manager, but they still allowed the PM from that piece of paper.

If only staples.com had this in stock, it would've become reality. Oh well.

If that's the case, then how did some people here claim their 980(s) shipped, or did I misread it?

The "funny" thing is that Staples hasn't credited the $500+ to my CC yet. I'll go to my local Staples on Fri. saying WTF that my CC was charged but the 980s weren't delivered on Thurs. as originally scheduled.

It looks like all I got for this effort was a few insect bites at the store last week. Obviously I'm not blaming anyone here; just staples.com not knowing their inventory, apparently.

You're misunderstanding. Once the lucky few who's orders were fulfilled with available stock on hand, orders that were pending stock were simply canceled.

I have two Microcenters and two Fry's near me and several Staples and Best Buys and Office Depots/Maxes, but... frankly this type of "deal" would leave a very dirty taste in my mouth, even if I succeeded. I can't bring myself to even try.

I hope you all enjoy your new GPU's though...

When I click on the original link it takes me to a listed or a ASUS 980 for 280ish. Just FYI in case people want to try to price match that.

I have two Microcenters and two Fry's near me and several Staples and Best Buys and Office Depots/Maxes, but... frankly this type of "deal" would leave a very dirty taste in my mouth, even if I succeeded. I can't bring myself to even try.

Gee ya think? And here I thought I was the only one that sees this as outright scamming if not fraud. Everyone likes a good deal but this never was one, it's like switching pricetags on shit. Then LOL'ing it up how "stupid" some girl at a cash register was because they got away with their scam. Pathetic.

Last edited:
Gee ya think? And here I thought I was the only one that sees this as outright scamming if not fraud. Everyone likes a good deal but this never was one, it's like switching pricetags on shit. Then LOL'ing it up how "stupid" some girl at a cash register was because they got away with their scam. Pathetic.

I tried it at two Office Max's. Afterwards I though about trying it at others, but then I read that these aren't supposed to be showing up on the website as they were returns. I decided not to pursue it further.

When I was at the second Office Max I tried at, while the guy was looking it up, he was apologetic, and muttered something about what this would look like when it showed up on an audit.

As much as I'd like to get a 980 for under $300, I'm not willing to get somebody in trouble to do so.

best buy lady was going to do it but the strix card is a market place item so they can't price match. I asked if they could just do reference card but they said skus/model has to be exact :/

office depot straight up said no :/ and the manager gave me a funny look saying yes we had this over the weekend. Its a 500 dollar card no. He claimed local microcenter wasn't even honoring it. I don't feel liek driving 30-40 miles to try with all the stuff I got to get done.

Last edited:
I tried it at two Office Max's. Afterwards I though about trying it at others, but then I read that these aren't supposed to be showing up on the website as they were returns. I decided not to pursue it further.

When I was at the second Office Max I tried at, while the guy was looking it up, he was apologetic, and muttered something about what this would look like when it showed up on an audit.

As much as I'd like to get a 980 for under $300, I'm not willing to get somebody in trouble to do so.

That's my thing, too. For one, I know someone is going to get murdered (metaphorically speaking) over this. Sure, I can try to justify it in various ways like saying "they deserved it" or "they should have looked close" or "they're just stupid" or something. And if any of those excuses work for you and you feel fine, then by all means have at it. No one can stop you. To me that still wouldn't sit right, and it's against my principles to do something quite this duplicitous. I mean it's a luxury item to begin with...

Two... I think it'll come full circle anyway. Instinct tells me that doing something like this will totally come full circle and only end up hurting consumers in the end in the long run. There's enough of a lack of trust and integrity in this area as is. This is just going to haunt us PC folks later on...

If you did it last friday, I'd say no biggie. We didn't know it was a glitch with MC's return system and if you show them the page and/or they go to the website and they say yes, then they're allowing it.

But now that we know it's a glitch and it's not available, I wouldn't even consider touching it. But maybe I would have at another time. Don't think I ever had the opportunity when I was more cash constrained.

office depot straight up said no :/ and the manager gave me a funny look saying yes we had this over the weekend. Its a 500 dollar card no. He claimed local microcenter wasn't even honoring it. I don't feel liek driving 30-40 miles to try with all the stuff I got to get done.

This kinda makes me feel better about finding a Evga SC ACX at my local MC for $360. With rebate. Aside from the box, the card was essentially pristine.

This kinda makes me feel better about finding a Evga SC ACX at my local MC for $360. With rebate. Aside from the box, the card was essentially pristine.

Ditto, my $260 980 Poseidon does 1500/8000 without issue on air.

MC open box items are always good buys. In most cases, they're opened them just to verify you didn't open them/replace the item. I returned a MB and they dropped the price so low I wanted to turn around and buy it back, even though I'm committed to waiting for Skylake. I imagine the 4790k CPU dropped to 220-230...I returned it unopened, but they opened it to see if I'd used the HSF (which I wouldn't have used even if I had opened it).

Its sad to see a thread devoted to this type of scamming on this website.

I have no problem with people getting deals for personal use, but doing it for the sole purpose of flipping the item for profit is kinda shady.

Lol at all the people calling price matching a scam. It's the stores responsibility to either accept or reject and price match and keep their employees informed. The policy was created to keep the stores competitive. Also how is arbitrage shady? Many people make a living doing it..

You're misunderstanding. Once the lucky few who's orders were fulfilled with available stock on hand, orders that were pending stock were simply canceled.
Oh, so they had some 2982s in stock but now they no longer do. They have 2980, 2981, and 2983 on staples.com, so I wonder if I can ask my local Staples to reorder using the PM sheet I gave them back then, but I doubt it now. I should've made a copy of that sheet.

The e-mail I received from Staples the other day said:
Dear Valued Staples Customer ,

We're very sorry, but the item(s) you orders at the store, were no longer in stock when we were processing your Staples order number <Order #>.

We value every order we receive and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We will be issuing a credit to you for this item. If you paid by Credit card you can expect to see the credit within 5-7 business days. If you paid by check you will receive a refund within 5 -7 business days.

If you have any questions regarding your order or if we can help you find another product that suits your needs, please call us a 1-800-333-3330, reply to this email, or chat with a live customer service representative on www.staples.com.
Thank you for choosing Staples.

Staples Customer Service
They are very slow to refund the $ (I know it says 5-7 business days) b/c as of today, it's still hasn't been refunded on my CC.

just got my 980 strix in today. installed and running already.

1. performance is nice, and so far beats my 7870 xfire considerably.
2. nvida control panel sucks ball compared to CCC.

is there any way to se fan control from NV control panel?

Lol at all the people calling price matching a scam. It's the stores responsibility to either accept or reject and price match and keep their employees informed. The policy was created to keep the stores competitive. Also how is arbitrage shady? Many people make a living doing it..

When the OP is specifically telling people to look for the dumbest looking associate, talking about attempting it multiple times to different associates trying to find one that will give you the deal, linking to items that aren't searchable on the normal website, etc. that's clearly shady. You can dress it up with a fancy term like "arbitrage" (which I'm not sure technically applies since both transactions in an arbitrage situation should occur nearly simultaneously) to make yourself feel better, but it's shady.

Except this was never price matching, because Microcenter was never selling the card for that price. Its knowingly abusing and exploiting a loophole and taking advantage of a policy put there as a benefit to customers in the first place. Rationalize it however you want, its a scam. Its in the same ballpark as switching pricetags and then finding a "stupid" cashier that doesn't notice.

And with all the SlickDeals mouthbreathers running this scam too, expect a chilling effect with legitimate pricematching getting more restrictive.

id rather not run a secondary app to do it.

im seeing 2 control panel screen shots... ones filled with a ton of options/settings (and it looks like a bunch of power settings). and then mine, completely stripped down.

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/48848/perf_group_control_panel.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Wwq7xep.jpg

The Second one is the one I am most familiar with. I've never seen that first one. I know its somewhat of a pain to use a secondary program but I would highly recommend using MSI Afterburner, it gives you the option to have it start up when your PC boots to the desktop.

id rather not run a secondary app to do it.

im seeing 2 control panel screen shots... ones filled with a ton of options/settings (and it looks like a bunch of power settings). and then mine, completely stripped down.

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/48848/perf_group_control_panel.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Wwq7xep.jpg

You are in the NVidia control panel side of things, there is nothing to do with fans in there. Just download MSI afterburner, and you can do the things you are trying to do. MSI Afterburner has all of the overclock/fan settings.

Except this was never price matching, because Microcenter was never selling the card for that price. Its knowingly abusing and exploiting a loophole and taking advantage of a policy put there as a benefit to customers in the first place. Rationalize it however you want, its a scam. Its in the same ballpark as switching pricetags and then finding a "stupid" cashier that doesn't notice.

And with all the SlickDeals mouthbreathers running this scam too, expect a chilling effect with legitimate pricematching getting more restrictive.

Lol, I doubt it... I have price matched much larger amounts before... Besides, it already is pretty restrictive.

So which print out are you guys using? The one with Microcenter's online shop?

Because all of their local stores are sold out.

But the same problems still exist as in the beginning. Any competent person should go to the web site to check the price. If they search, it doesn't show up, so no price match. If they can somehow find it, they have to check stock, and it seems like most if not all stores are out of stock, so again no price match.
Anyone who gets tricked into a price match based on a printout from a random person may get fired from their job later.

Back