EVGA GTX 980 - $236.54 for Price Matching ONLY

The asshole who was ripping off a customer who was in his 70's was what pissed me off the most.

"No, elderly man. You REALLY need this I7 4790 with a dedicated GPU, trust me!"

Staples employees are the fucking worst.

The manager first told me they only price match on Amazon. I showed him the PM guarantee that said otherwise. Then he said Microcenter does not have a retail location, I again corrected him. Then he claimed they can't price match it as they don't have it in-store. Once again, I pointed out that the price match guarantee applies to Staples.com as well.

Then the manager calls over some slovenly dork with fucked up teeth, (who had just finished ripping off some elderly man for a $1,300 piece of shit desktop PC) who accused me of doctoring the website. I was there 30 minutes after closing arguing with these two buffoons.

And yeah, all the Office Depots here were closed a year or two ago.

Thats too bad. The lady at office depot was so friendly. I just brought in the micro center printout and asked her if she can order that item and price match it. She said no problem and searched for it on her computer. She found the STRIX version, spun the screen around and asked me if it has the same specs. I said sure does and she cheerily said, ok I will order it right now. Then I asked her if I could order 2 and she said the message said they werent supposed to but the computer let it through so she did 2 of them lol. Great experience.

I also went to staples first and got in a fight with the manager. He told me they only price match brick and mortar stores and they have to be within 50 miles. I showed him the price match garentee off the web site and he said he cant do it. I told him staples will never see a penny of my money, or any from my whole fire department and I would put in a call to corporate and complain.

They didn't want to give me the price match? Fine.

But standing there watching a fat loser completely rip off an elderly man who just needed a desktop PC was absolutely infuriating. That's what pissed me off the most about my experience with Staples tonight.

Staples can lick my balls.

They didn't want to give me the price match? Fine.

But standing there watching a fat loser completely rip off an elderly man who just needed a desktop PC was absolutely infuriating. That's what pissed me off the most about my experience with Staples tonight.

Staples can lick my balls.

As opposed to what? you going around everywhere and personally assembling a PC for everyone?

That's like saying, every restaurant is infuriating because they hire chefs to cook for you at a higher price than purchasing your own groceries and make the same thing lol

Yes, Staples, BestBuy, Dell, Alienware, CyberpowerPC etc all charge retarded prices for their pre built PC's. Someone has to pay for the man labor... it's not free you know lol

As opposed to what? you going around everywhere and personally assembling a PC for everyone?

That's like saying, every restaurant is infuriating because they hire chefs to cook for you at a higher price than purchasing your own groceries and make the same thing lol

Yes, Staples, BestBuy, Dell, Alienware, CyberpowerPC etc all charge retarded prices for their pre built PC's. Someone has to pay for the man labor... it's not free you know lol

You probably missed his other post on the previous page. The Staples salesman was lying to the guy, telling him he needed a much more expensive/powerful PC than what he actually needed for his purposes.

At what point did I mention anything about custom built vs OEM? Try reading my posts next time.

A guy in his 70s wanted a desktop PC, and they sold him an I7 4790 machine with a dedicated GPU. I believe they also convinced him he needed 16 GBs of RAM. No joke, the salesman actually talked about video rendering and virtual machines.

I haven't even told you about the time my elderly neighbor took his ancient WinXP to Staples for virus removal and they charged him $200 to peel off a 5 GB partition, installed a fresh copy of Windows XP on it and left the old virus filled partition completely intact and bootable.

He calls me down to his place to tell me he has no free space left on his HDD and a strange menu is appearing every time he starts his machine asking him which Win XP partition he wants to boot.

Again, Staples employees are the fucking worst.

Last edited:

I don't think a man in his 70' needed a $1,300 computer; particularly with a dedicated GPU. I doubt he's a hard-core gamer. LOL.

He will probably just use it to browse the web and read emails. If he has grandkids, they'll likely use it; but it's only a matter time before it catches a virus. He'll become flustered, likely return the PC to Staples and be ripped off.

I feel sorry for such folks, because virus removal is pretty simple/free these days. IMHO.

I remember (maybe a year ago) when the Staples near me was still selling GTX 200 cards in the $100+ bracket. Hilarious.

I haven't even told you about the time my elderly neighbor took his ancient WinXP to Staples for virus removal and they charged him $200 to peel off a 5 GB partition, installed a fresh copy of Windows XP on it and left the old virus filled partition completely intact and bootable

WTF?

The asshole who was ripping off a customer who was in his 70's was what pissed me off the most.

"No, elderly man. You REALLY need this I7 4790 with a dedicated GPU, trust me!"

Staples employees are the fucking worst.

Did you step in and say anything? I've been the asshole who "ruined" a sales opportunity for an employee because of situations like this where I stepped in and gave the customer good advice.

Did you step in and say anything? I've been the asshole who "ruined" a sales opportunity for an employee because of situations like this where I stepped in and gave the customer good advice.

I almost did that at Best Buy several years ago. A couple had a PC with malware on it. They were looking to clean it up. After a halfhearted attempt to show them AV software, the guy suggested it might not work and they should just buy a new PC. I'm willing to help a salesperson if they're doing the right thing, but man that was just crazy. First step is sell them AV software. If that doesn't work, then offer them geek squad service. If that fails..well hell, that shouldn't fail.. worse case scenario they copy their user files and reinstall windows.

You probably missed his other post on the previous page. The Staples salesman was lying to the guy, telling him he needed a much more expensive/powerful PC than what he actually needed for his purposes.

No, I didn't lol far too much crap to read in the past several pages

At what point did I mention anything about custom built vs OEM? Try reading my posts next time.

A guy in his 70s wanted a desktop PC, and they sold him an I7 4790 machine with a dedicated GPU. I believe they also convinced him he needed 16 GBs of RAM. No joke, the salesman actually talked about video rendering and virtual machines.

I haven't even told you about the time my elderly neighbor took his ancient WinXP to Staples for virus removal and they charged him $200 to peel off a 5 GB partition, installed a fresh copy of Windows XP on it and left the old virus filled partition completely intact and bootable.

He calls me down to his place to tell me he has no free space left on his HDD and a strange menu is appearing every time he starts his machine asking him which Win XP partition he wants to boot.

Again, Staples employees are the fucking worst.

I don't see anything wrong with advertising VM's and rendering..

The automatic assumption that an elderly man would have of no need for a high powered pc is hubristic. My father who is approaching his 70's and asked me for a high end computer. Why? Because he wants it to last him for the next 15+ years, so he can START learning how to use a computer, hence he does not know how to use a computer yet. His PC now has a 2600k + GTX660 and 16GB of ram and a corsair gt ssd.

Whether the elderly man really did want such a product or the salesman was just trying to push a sale, is no ones business. The old guy is a grown man and can think for himself. I'm sure he has purchased cars and or houses before in the past and sets limits on what to spend on things. It being a good deal is another story.

But yes, I do agree with you. It sucks that some people who are absolutely detached from the world of computing walk into stores all the time for routine "virus checks" and leaves with a $150 purchase of kasperskys latest garbage edition anti virus because dying stores need to push sales. But don't feel too bad for the dude, if he has buyers remorse, he can always return it for a full refund lol

And tbh, you would be surprised. With computers and games being a norm, the elderly are starting retirement. What else do they have to do? I've played Aion, ROSE, TERA, CS etc with people in their 60's before and complained their pcs were too slow and needed more lol

My father is 70, has a 3770k, 16GB ram, GTX670, 27" monitor, m-audio AV40's, a few TB of storage space, and plays Witcher 3, Skyrim, and other RPG games.

My brother and I bought the 3770K machine which was in a HAF-932, for $300 for my dad 2 years ago.
that was an awesome deal. We moved the parts to his Antec 300 case since the HAF-932 was too big for his desk.

Thats too bad. The lady at office depot was so friendly. I just brought in the micro center printout and asked her if she can order that item and price match it. She said no problem and searched for it on her computer. She found the STRIX version, spun the screen around and asked me if it has the same specs. I said sure does and she cheerily said, ok I will order it right now. Then I asked her if I could order 2 and she said the message said they werent supposed to but the computer let it through so she did 2 of them lol. Great experience.

I also went to staples first and got in a fight with the manager. He told me they only price match brick and mortar stores and they have to be within 50 miles. I showed him the price match garentee off the web site and he said he cant do it. I told him staples will never see a penny of my money, or any from my whole fire department and I would put in a call to corporate and complain.

Staples would rather you never shopped there ever again. They don't want to lose money and customers doing this sort of stuff aren't profitable customers. Staples needs the item to be in stock to match it anyways.

There's something to be proud of. :rolleyes:

It was silly to go into a staples period. The only place to buy computer parts is microcenter or online. Every place over charges on hardware. You are essential trying to rip off the store "legit" he is getting ripped off there really isnt a difference to argue on this.

As someone else mentioned I don't think any retailers carry the old ACX anymore.
EVGA stopped producing these last year.

If you tell them it's the EVGA GTX 970 they might just look it up and do it without checking the model numbers. I've never had any sales reps ask for it.

No, I didn't lol far too much crap to read in the past several pages

I don't see anything wrong with advertising VM's and rendering..

The automatic assumption that an elderly man would have of no need for a high powered pc is hubristic. My father who is approaching his 70's and asked me for a high end computer. Why? Because he wants it to last him for the next 15+ years, so he can START learning how to use a computer, hence he does not know how to use a computer yet. His PC now has a 2600k + GTX660 and 16GB of ram and a corsair gt ssd.

Whether the elderly man really did want such a product or the salesman was just trying to push a sale, is no ones business. The old guy is a grown man and can think for himself. I'm sure he has purchased cars and or houses before in the past and sets limits on what to spend on things. It being a good deal is another story.

But yes, I do agree with you. It sucks that some people who are absolutely detached from the world of computing walk into stores all the time for routine "virus checks" and leaves with a $150 purchase of kasperskys latest garbage edition anti virus because dying stores need to push sales. But don't feel too bad for the dude, if he has buyers remorse, he can always return it for a full refund lol

And tbh, you would be surprised. With computers and games being a norm, the elderly are starting retirement. What else do they have to do? I've played Aion, ROSE, TERA, CS etc with people in their 60's before and complained their pcs were too slow and needed more lol

What you're saying has some truth to it. One of my parents has a higher end system than I do (it's newer) with 32GB of ram (it was $120, so there wasn't a reason not to get it) and a GTX 660 (or something like that), but like your father, it was requested. They knew they wanted a good GPU for certain APPs and the Memory was below the budget for memory.

How many people walk into staples to buy a PC to run VMs? Answer, almost none, because that type of user is going to build their own, get it cheaper with discounts through work or research it online and buy a custom rig directly.

If it was a laptop, then maybe, but if you're there, you know the difference between someone who needs a beefy rig and one who was sold on something they don't need. It's not a car. Nobody is impressed by what's inside your computer case.

As a refresher, I ordered two 980s from my local Staples on Fri. and my order was canceled sometime over the weekend. So far, my CC hasn't been refunded and staples.com shows my order still being canceled. Any chance it was uncanceled and the order will ship despite the staple.com order status of "canceled" and allegedly refunding my $512.11?

As a refresher, I ordered two 980s from my local Staples on Fri. and my order was canceled sometime over the weekend. So far, my CC hasn't been refunded and staples.com shows my order still being canceled. Any chance it was uncanceled and the order will ship despite the staple.com order status of "canceled" and allegedly refunding my $512.11?

No. You can't even order the cards on staples.com paying full price. It was eol, hence the micro center price.

If it's not to much trouble can someone pm me the best way to get this successfully priced matched at office depot. I'm in Chicago and the odds are slim, that's why I am looking for tips.

Print it out and also pull up a copy on your phone.
Go in the store, find the dumbest looking associate, and tell them you want to price match a product.

OK, finally hit 50 posts.

I have been trying everywhere to get this pricematched, and finally got it to work at Staples in Ft. Worth. I can upload pictures of my receipt and the confirmation email if y'all want. Crossing my fingers until it says shipped.

I doubt it, I remember shortly after the XBONE was released Best Buy had a pretty serious misprint on the Assassins Creed bundle with Kinect. It was marked down to around $300.00, which was considerably less than the version without Kinect at the time. It was abused fairly heavily, and was a nation-wide price match faux pas. This is extremely regional, and has such a limited market that I doubt anything comes of it.

Also, at that time the XBONE was, a highly sought after product that was still in the infancy of its release stage. The GTX 980 on the other hand is no longer in production, and is approaching EOL as far as retail sales go. Even if this is a significant discount, I'm sure they aren't losing sleep over unloading merchandise that is effectively a dead item since the release of the 980 TI.

This is the 970, the most popular graphics card released in the last 5+ years.
Pretty sure they're not happy over an accidental 50% discount.

But you might be right, it's such a niche market and the amount of people abusing the price match is probably relatively small. It was enough for Staples/BB to send out corporate emails this weekend to deny the price match, and cancel all existing orders.

This is the 970, the most popular graphics card released in the last 5+ years.
Pretty sure they're not happy over an accidental 50% discount.

But you might be right, it's such a niche market and the amount of people abusing the price match is probably relatively small. It was enough for Staples/BB to send out corporate emails this weekend to deny the price match, and cancel all existing orders.

Well the 970 is a completely different animal. At first I was skeptical of this being intentional or not, but now that there have been 3 separate cards they have dumped the price on, it clearly is. If the employees doing the price matching are doing their jobs correctly then there really shouldn't be but a handful of these honored since all of these cards haven't been in production for quite a while. Even the 970 reference hasn't been manufactured in quite some time.

As far as the corporate email, do you have a source? I'd be interested in seeing this email.

As explained by an MC employee, this page is automatically created when they take a return and list the card as Open Box... Which is why you can't find it by searching their website.
And also why it's sold out everywhere (it was never in-stock in the first place).

It's not really supposed to be published to the internet at all.

As far as Staples/BB/etc is concerned, it's a pricing error.

I tried two Office Max's here in the NW 'burbs of Chicago. Failed at both. The first guy searched MC's website and came up with the Asus STRIX. He said he'd price match that at $499. At the second, the kid (who did look stupid) said, "We don't price match anything we don't have in the store."

It was a waste of time for me.

Back