EVGA GTX 980 - $236.54 for Price Matching ONLY

Sad over this, I just reserved an open-box Evga 980 ACX SSC 2.0 for $360 (including taxes) from my local Micro Center. Impulse buy? I'm thinking it's too cheap/too good to be true. Thing will probably BSOD as soon as I pop it in.

Last edited:
I checked my Staples order status and sure enough it was canceled. :( Oh well, it was worth a shot, but that's just my luck. I hope for some of you that it shipped before cancellation.

My CC charge is no longer pending and is settled, but I imagine I'll be getting the credit shortly.

Where do you live? All the Office Depot and Office Max caught on and if they did, it's for sure the bigger chains like BestBuy and Staples caught on here, I am in So Cal.

you're never going to get stuff like this to work in SoCal....all the cashiers need to keep their jobs to support their 3 kids, not just that, there are a lot of haters in the buildings lol...they see you trying to get that much of a discount and their new mission in life (rather than making more than $10hr) is to try to deny your price-match.

i didn't know people were going out of their way to edit the pdf price / make / model to get a better graphics card...that's fraud...

consumers worked very hard to get stores to do price-matching, things like this will get it taken away. ugh...

I checked my Staples order status and sure enough it was canceled. :( Oh well, it was worth a shot, but that's just my luck. I hope for some of you that it shipped before cancellation.

My CC charge is no longer pending and is settled, but I imagine I'll be getting the credit shortly.

The canceled orders are due to no stock at Staples and they chose to not re-order any more stock of that item.

Too bad they don't have any at my local stores. I'd run this open-box Evga SC right back. Something tells me this deal/price-match won't go so smoothly with Best Buy. Meh.....I'll live. Speaking of which, I was kinda shocked they gave me a rebate for the card.

The canceled orders are due to no stock at Staples and they chose to not re-order any more stock of that item.
Good point, I didn't consider that. Oh well, it was a nice dream that lasted through the weekend. It sucks that reality hit on Monday the 13th. :p

I'm not keeping up with posts on other sites yet, are there any actual confirmed shipments from any sites yet or did Staples (and maybe BB) cancel all of them today?
If people start receiving their cards in a few days then we'll see more posts about it.

Too bad they don't have any at my local stores. I'd run this open-box Evga SC right back. Something tells me this deal/price-match won't go so smoothly with Best Buy. Meh.....I'll live. Speaking of which, I was kinda shocked they gave me a rebate for the card.

Same, when I went to micro center and bought an open box 980 GTX Poseidon for $261 and still got Arkham Knights and a $20 mir I was pretty surprised.

Same, when I went to micro center and bought an open box 980 GTX Poseidon for $261 and still got Arkham Knights and a $20 mir I was pretty surprised.

Dammit. Good price and free game. I was hoping I'd get a game. No dice. At least I don't think I did.

just received my order of 3 from staples. i'll have 2 for sale shortly

I noticed your FS thread and wanted to point something out, your asking price is what it sells for at other online retailers, but eVGA requires an invoice for warranty, and the warranty is not transferable.

I noticed your FS thread and wanted to point something out, your asking price is what it sells for at other online retailers, but eVGA requires an invoice for warranty, and the warranty is not transferable.

oh thanks for the tip. will adjust. i haven't really been into the computer scene for a while, got super lucky on this find.

Looking for two 980's, paying fresh american dollar through PP, don't be greedy now!

mine said expected delivery date of this wednesday, but when i checked it said delivry today and sure enough i got it today. it came drop shipped though, at least that's what the staples CS rep said.

My order from Office Depot has been posted as Shipped, so for those that ordered from Office Depot don't give up hope. I have been seeing majority of their orders being shipped! :D

My order still says canceled. On staples.com, it says a price of $-512.11, but so far my CC hasn't been refunded. Hmm.

Once I get credited back, I wonder if I should take a print out of my order cancellation status and ask what's up w/ the cancellation. I ordered my 2 cards late on Fri., shortly before closing.

I see no evidence of anything being "confirmed" in that thread. People ask him for a receipt, he declines to provide it. Seems like typical Reddit bullshit to me, some dude makes a wild claim, provides no proof and everyone spouts "confirmed".

Something tells me I'm going to be wasting my time at Staples, but I'm going to try anyway. Again, I'll post my results later.

I think you can transfer it prior to registration. After all, if I buy 3 cards for friends (it could happen), they can't deny warranty simply because they were gifted.

I also thought that restriction ended when they dumped life time warranties.

I think you can transfer it prior to registration. After all, if I buy 3 cards for friends (it could happen), they can't deny warranty simply because they were gifted.

I also thought that restriction ended when they dumped life time warranties.

I just looked and the warranty terms have changed.
Up to 3 years from the shipping date of the item with no receipt, meaning if eVGA started shipping the item Jan 1 2013 the warranty would end Jan 1 2016 regardless of when you bought it.

They also do Warranty transfers:
EVGA offers an transferable warranty for products shipped new from EVGA on or after July 1, 2011 so long as the product is in its original factory condition and retains all of the factory labels and stickers. The transferred warranty will not exceed 3 years from the products shipping date from EVGA and will also not exceed the original warranty offered on the product.

I just looked and the warranty terms have changed.
Up to 3 years from the shipping date of the item with no receipt, meaning if eVGA started shipping the item Jan 1 2013 the warranty would end Jan 1 2016 regardless of when you bought it.

I assume you get 3 years if you have the receipt, right? Regardless, I've transferred lifetime warranties before....I don't know if the other person could use it, but I don't see why not. They have the receipt and the EVGA account that the card is registered on. In practice, I suspect they'd never use it, because by the time it breaks, it'll be even less useful than it is now ;)

I price matched at office depot today. It was the STRIX model. They even bypassed the purchase limit and sold me 2. Should be here next Monday

Last edited:
No luck at Staples. They even accused me of "doctoring" the Microcenter website. I pulled up the site on their own PC too. Not sure how I altered that.

What a bunch of morons.

No luck at Staples. They even accused me of "doctoring" the Microcenter website. I pulled up the site on their own PC too. Not sure how I altered that.

What a bunch of morons.

LOL. Too bad you don't have an office depot. I tempted to try this, but by the time I get "time" to do so, it'll probably be dead; or they'll have caught on.

Edit: The Asus reference card page still exist, but when one searches it can no longer be found.

LOL. Too bad you don't have an office depot. I tempted to try this, but by the time I get "time" to do so, it'll probably be dead; or they'll have caught on.
The manager first told me they only price match on Amazon. I showed him the PM guarantee that said otherwise. Then he said Microcenter does not have a retail location, I again corrected him. Then he claimed they can't price match it as they don't have it in-store. Once again, I pointed out that the price match guarantee applies to Staples.com as well.

Then the manager calls over some slovenly dork with fucked up teeth, (who had just finished ripping off some elderly man for a $1,300 piece of shit desktop PC) who accused me of doctoring the website. I was there 30 minutes after closing arguing with these two buffoons.

And yeah, all the Office Depots here were closed a year or two ago.

Back