EVGA GTX 980 - $236.54 for Price Matching ONLY

The first store I went to didn't work. The 2nd store manager was fine with it. He put in quantity 1 for the order, and I was like "Can you make that 2, I mean 3?" Ha ha. :p

I should have said 10.

Could you guys mention if you have an MC in your state, the ones that are being successful in price matching.

I tried tiger direct live chat but he couldn't do it, it was below their acquisition cost which is $545 according to the rep.

Tried the Best Buy on Harrison in SF. It took them like 5 minutes to finally get back to me and say no. Oh well, at least I got a burrito from El Tonayense! :)

I have a microcenter an hour away. Tried at office depot, and thr manager there said they cant price match on order only items. Best buy manager said they cant price match because it's through a third party on their website and they cant pricematch a different item number. They also tried to search for it on the microcenter website and couldnt find it, just to give a heads up. Tried to get them to enter the web address or call the store to verify and they wouldnt go for it. No big deal, price matching something like this is a huge crapshoot.

If its still around tuesday, I may give staples a shot while I'm in Houston.

I can get to the listing by the link but I can't find it via the search on Microcenter's site. Was the the case earlier or did the remove it recently?

Got real close at Staples. I asked the girl at the register if they price matched microcenter. She asked a guy on the radio and he said yes. I asked for two. She said OK and asked if they were in the back. I said probably have to order from web. She called the guy over. He knew what this was and its worth and asked if it was open box. I said no. He looked it up on MC webpage and checked stock at a few stores. I think he would of honored the price but another guy was just punching in and said they will not price match out of stock items.

If you can find a best buy or staples that actually stocks this, bring the cards to a register and it should be easy to close the deal.

Let me ask, have you ever gone in-store and had them deny you a price match?
I've done this a few times already, they don't check.

You must have had some luck. IMO this isn't worth the hassle. 99% of stores require the item to be in stock, not from a 3rd party seller, and within a ~10 mile or so radius. And they tend to call said store in question to check the stock. I think there is a mutual agreement (10 mile radius, call to check each others stock) between the big retailers so they can get out of price matching online deals.

Or they'll start throwing out other excuses, they don't match the webstore, must be an officially printed flyer, ect. One time a Frys did screw up though, so I got $30 off my i5. Talked to the guy who initially denied the price match (no Microcenter within 10 miles or whatever) for a bit and he forgot. That was a one time anomaly though.

If you have the time to run around to 10-15 stores and wait 10-20 minutes for a manager, feel free though. :p

BB in my area doesn't price match on third party merchants, and they only sell the 04G-P4-2984-KR directly.

Staples says they don't obligate themselves to price match non-stocked items.

So, no luck here. Thanks for the heads up, though! If it's still around tomorrow maybe I'll take my pushy roommate there and let him push :p

My staples had the add from micro center printed out and when I called and asked about price matching a video card, the guy on the phone replied with "the one for $236, yeah no problem come down and we'll order it."

In for 2, thanks OP

The best buy entry is a marketprice item, so that's not gonna work :(

Ahh, you guys are going to make me try this in the morning. I don't need a new video card, much less the 2 980's I'll be obligated to order if they let me. There's a microcenter in town and plenty of staples. I think I can get to 3 in a pretty efficient loop...

So if anyone gets it pricematched in houston, please shoot me a pm as to where so i can get the hookup. Need a new card, this 6950 isnt doing it anymore

Sugar Land BB won't pricematch something that isn't in stock.

Same result at my BB.

I said "Well, you don't have it in stock either" :)

Hell, the price at Staples is only $380. Something tells me there has been a pricing action, and we're just now starting to see the effects of it.

Last edited:
ive got a staples, BB, and office max all in the same parking lot.
ill give this a shot tomorrow.

*i just tried BB online chat. they wont price match online.

*just tried office depot online chat. because its in store only they wont price match online. but he did say to go to the nearest store and they will price match it.

Last edited:
I told myself I wouldn't go out tomorrow and try again but I can't resist! There's 5 more staples I could visit which would cost me about $10 in gas and a couple of hours of my time. If I were to pick up an extra you think I could easily sell it for $425?

Also, Ncix was a no go. They won't price match "in store only" items.

Holy crap, Tainted Squirrel, I think I might love you. :eek: I went to Staples with the MC screenshot printed out. I spoke to a salesman about PM'ing and he never even heard of MC (even though it's in the D/FW area, like the Staples store is). He said he'll check w/ his manager. He came back a few min. later and he said yes. I got a little excited, but tried to contain myself. :p

Then I went up to the computer where he rang it up. I gave him the Staples item # that I had from their website (thanks to TS' 1st post). He found it, and sure enough, had a list price of about $600. He said wow, that's a big discount. I asked for quantity 2 and he took my name, address, and ph. # so that Staples could ship it to me. Out the door $512.11 later with the receipt in hand. I'm hoping this does come through and doesn't get canceled by some Internet supervisor who is suspicious of the large discount. The manager asked if he could keep the MC screenshot print out, so I gave it to him.

Fingers crossed that I get this for the stated price. I'll probably then sell one (maybe here or on CL) and upgrade my 770 to the 980. *pray*

Thanks again, TS! :cool:

Holy crap, Tainted Squirrel, I think I might love you. :eek: I went to Staples with the MC screenshot printed out. I spoke to a salesman about PM'ing and he never even heard of MC (even though it's in the D/FW area, like the Staples store is). He said he'll check w/ his manager. He came back a few min. later and he said yes. I got a little excited, but tried to contain myself. :p

Then I went up to the computer where he rang it up. I gave him the Staples item # that I had from their website (thanks to TS' 1st post). He found it, and sure enough, had a list price of about $600. He said wow, that's a big discount. I asked for quantity 2 and he took my name, address, and ph. # so that Staples could ship it to me. Out the door $512.11 later with the receipt in hand. I'm hoping this does come through and doesn't get canceled by some Internet supervisor who is suspicious of the large discount. The manager asked if he could keep the MC screenshot print out, so I gave it to him.

Fingers crossed that I get this for the stated price. I'll probably then sell one (maybe here or on CL) and upgrade my 770 to the 980. *pray*

Thanks again, TS! :cool:

what state do you live in?

I will give this a shot tomorrow morning. Will give you guys a heads up :) wish me luck.

what state do you live in?
TX (D/FW area)

You folks with laugh at this, but while I was at Staples, I got 3 insect bites. The guy ringing me up killed a fly like a boss. It's crazy w/ the amount of flying insects we've had this summer after the record spring rain. But if I can save/make hundreds of $, then a few 'skeeter bites will have been worth the price. :) Now I'm just hoping the order ships (and didn't get the West Nile virus while at Staples).

tumblr_lvourt4buw1qklfgco1_500.jpg

TX (D/FW area)

You folks with laugh at this, but while I was at Staples, I got 3 insect bites. The guy ringing me up killed a fly like a boss. It's crazy w/ the amount of flying insects we've had this summer after the record spring rain. But if I can save/make hundreds of $, then a few 'skeeter bites will have been worth the price. :) Now I'm just hoping the order ships (and didn't get the West Nile virus while at Staples).

Hmm...I may have to try this.

Yeah it's dead unless you still have a copy of the old page on your phone.

I have a printed copy as well as the page loaded on my tablet and cellphone.

Back