EVGA GTX 770 SuperClocked ACX 2GB vs 4GB?

DarkDubzs

Limp Gawd
There is a 2GB model of the EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX, and a 4GB, with the 4GB model being only about $60 more. The 2GB seems to be more popular since it has much more reviews, both are 4 stars. If the 4GB model offers twice the VRAM, for only $60 more, why doesnt everyone get the 4gb model or why doesnt it get more attention? Is there any reason I should not get the 4GB model? I mean, games will use more VRAM in the coming years, so why not get the 4gb model? Just seems too good to be true to me, must be a downfall to the 4gb model? So again, why should one not get the 4gb model, and get the 2gb model instead (ignoring the $60 difference)?

2GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
4GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

If you're worried about the coming years, you may want to hold off until the 800 series is out. 770 2GB vs 4GB doesn't really show any significant performance differences in situations where the framerate remains playable. As for the differences in sales the 2GB has been out longer.

Agreed. Google GTX 770 2gb vs 4gb and you'll see there is virtually no performance gain with the 4gb.
And if you're talking about year 2016 type games we'll be at least 2 gpu generations down the road by that point.

As dmoney and GonzoP say, theres no performance gain between the 2GB or 4GB version that worth the extra money. Games will use more VRAM in the coming years but also more resourcers and you will be stuck whit a 770 whit 2GB more of VRAM (4 GB) and limited by your GPU performance. Maybe you need to considere to buy a R9 290 for like $250-300 dlls on Ebay and has the same performance as the GTX 780

I hope it helps and sorry for my bad english :)

DarkDubzs I was going to tell you to consider maybe just getting a second 660 and going SLI. But if the rig in your sig is what you'll be throwing this potential 770 into then that 430w PSU is also going to have to be upgraded.
Even if you go with a used on off ebay or the FS/FT forum here at [H] you're still looking at $250-300 for a used 770, $300-350 if you get one new. On top of that you'll then need to add at least a 750W PSU.
If the PSU upgrade is a given you could step into a PSU and then second 660 for less than the price of a lone 770. Not to mention 660 SLI is going to outperform a single 770.
I know most [H]'ers seem to be anti SLI and Anti Crossfire. But the numbers don't lie and for many this glitches are over blown or isolated to specific games.

Your sig calls it budget gaming rig. With budget in mind decent 750w PSU on ebay will run you around $70 add a second 660 for around $130 and for around $200 total you have made a tangible upgrade to a so called budget rig. That's $50-100 less than either a 770 or a 290 before the PSU addition you'll surely need.

Now if you plan to sell your 660 you probably can get what you'd pay for a new one $130 ish and apply that towards your desire 770 + PSU and that takes some of the edge off the total price

The graphics memory has never been about performance. The performance will be the same with the 2 GB and 4 GB versions as long as everything fits into them memory. As soon as it exceeds the 2GB, the framerate would break in drastically or the game will not run at all.

Whether it is needed or not depends on the game and the resolution you plan to run. If there is the slightest chance you want to go SLI for higher resolution displays, get the 4 GB card.

Thanks for the help guys.

So there's no difference really between the 2gb and 4gb.
The card will be for my future ITX gaming build. It'll probably be a few months until I can get it started, so if the 800 series is out by then, ill re-evaluate the gpu choice. I obviously can't go SLI in an ITX build, unless I get a card with two gpu's on board, but those are pretty expensive.
I was considering getting an R9 290, but they get too hot and loud to be in an ITX build IMO. I also like to keep GeForce Experience. Unless the 290 has AMD software just like GeForce Experience with update notifications, settings controller, etc.

Omni, what do you mean "As soon as it exceeds the 2GB, the framerate would break in drastically or the game will not run at all."?

So my question sti kinda stands, what would be the reasons one would need or could really benefit with the 4gb model? Why should one get the 4gb over the 2gb if they perform the same?

Omni, what do you mean "As soon as it exceeds the 2GB, the framerate would break in drastically or the game will not run at all."?

So my question sti kinda stands, what would be the reasons one would need or could really benefit with the 4gb model? Why should one get the 4gb over the 2gb if they perform the same?

I think it has to do with the combination of the game you are playing and the resolution you are playing that game at. The game would have to use more than 2GB of VRAM for the 4GB to be effective. An example game is Battlefield 4 which recommends 3GB of VRAM but if you are playing at 1080p that may not be true. In a multi-monitor set up, then probably.

If I were buying a GPU that powerful TODAY, I wouldn't settle for 2GB. The 770 is right on that threshold where the extra ram could make a difference if you're planning on keeping it a few years.

When I bought my GTX 460 four years ago, people were convinced that the 768MB model was the better buy (all the games of the time said they were equal), but I spent more for the 1GB model because I felt the GPU would have enough power to last. I was right - while others sold their 768MB cards after 2 years, I was able to use mine comfortably for another 2 years.

I can even play BF4 on 1280x1024 @ 60fps on 64-player maps (I game on a CRT) at high, which saved me buying a GPU upgrade this year. Could probably game just fine at 1080p medium at the same frame-rate. No way a puny 768MB card could handle that!

Last edited:
Looks like I'm not the only one pushing the GTX 460 1GB model way past it's expected shelf date :D

And for those who don't demand silky-smooth 60+fps AT ALL TIMES like me, the card can also handle 1080p Ultra with over 30fps average. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dELQQJFJEbI&feature=youtu.be

So don't let anyone tell you that extra ram is a waste. It can sometimes make sense, and then it's a judgement call.

Thanks. Yeah, it just makes sense to get extra VRAM, but is it worth the price, that is the question. Im actually going to go with the GTX 780 instead, its only about $100 more and way better than the 770 according to what ive seen. I want to get at least 60fps most of the time on any maxed out game.

This is my full build. Its been revised about 8 times since I first began it a few months ago. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gYTvdC

If you are picky about staying above 60 fps in ALL games now and upcoming then you need to get a 4790k not 4690k. Makes way more overall sense since you will keep your cpu for a few years and upgrade your gpu during that time.

Last edited:
I can overclock the cpu anyways. I think the 4690k is gonna be able to keep up for a while, even as stock.
You cant stay above 60 fps in Crysis 3 with an oced 4690k even but the 4790k can. Again you are going to keep a cpu for a few years and you plan on running a high end gpu so do it right and get the 4790k.

Yes its better now for a couple of games and then there will certainly be more games that push 4 cores to the max over the next couple years. I had a 2500k at 4.4 and it was fully pegged in Crysis 3 at times. Even in some other games I was occasionally hitting 90-95% or more at times too. Its nice to have the extra performance in those few games that push 4 cores to the limit. In games that just come pretty close its nice having that extra breathing room so I dont have to shut dont anything else on the pc that might need a few % of my cpu while I am gaming.

Back