EVGA GTX 770 or Gigabyte GTX 770?

All of the custom cooling solutions are good. Pick whichever is cheaper and you like the looks of best.

I have had both cards and I wish I has kept the Gigabyte over the EVGA. I am very anal about noise, so the EVGA minimum fan speed of 41% was quite loud - I wouldn't notice it when playing games, but when you want to sit and study or surf the web it is quite annoying. Whereas the Gigabyte card was absolutely silent at 17%. I ended up flashing my EVGA 770 ACX with the Gigabyte Windforce 770 bios so I could get the fan speed down to a bearable level. There is really no reason for the EVGA card to idle at 41% since the temperature of the card is the same at 17%. I have been a loyal EVGA customer for several years but this really left a negative impression on me. I will definitely think twice about purchasing one of their cards in the future since all I got was smart ass comments about water-cooling the card when I posted my concerns on their forum.

I have been a loyal EVGA customer for several years but this really left a negative impression on me. I will definitely think twice about purchasing one of their cards in the future since all I got was smart ass comments about water-cooling the card when I posted my concerns on their forum.
I think I remember seeing your thread dude. I stopped posting on their forums long ago for a similar reason and experience. I'd stop short of calling their members shills, but only that short.

Gigabyte usually makes the best all-around cooler and is aces in my book. Quieter than Twin Frozr, and trades with ASUS DC in terms of volume, but edges occasionally in temps.

Now, it bothers me that for their current 770s, they have their logo on a frivolously sticking out part of the shroud... All I can think is, "Why?"

I got the Gigabyte card and I've had a lot of problems with it. Crashes when I RDP into the computer and crashes when I come back to the computer after the monitors turn off (The computer is still running just powers off the monitors).

Any recommendations? At this point I'm thinking about shipping it back and saving $500.

I'm jusing just the same only difference is in EVGA cooler from Titan reference.

I want to buy GTX 770, but do not know which one.

I'm choosing between:
EVGA GTX 770 with reference cooler from Titan, Gigabyte GTX 770.
What interested me the reference design is the low power Cascade (VRM) temperature on reference:
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/896-5/bruit-temperatures.html

EVGA GTX 770 have that reference design of the Titan cooler and I do not know whether they are other things just the same for example, PCB or components? From the outside looks in fact all the same :)
According to the reference design reviews is relatively quiet, a lot quieter than a generation before.

My question is, would you buy to the reference design?
Seems to have excellent efficiency, but has some other drawbacks?
I have not planning to overclock it more.

Thanks.

Would I buy a reference design?

No. I think the Titan cooler is great, but having better noise characteristics (which aftermarket cards ARE quieter and cooler at load) and being able to prevent throttling at 80C is very important to me. The titan cooler is the best reference design ever made, but it is still not as good as the best aftermarket cards. The other thing is Kepler cards begin throttling at 80C, and 80C is not uncommon territory for a reference Titan cooler if you play with vsync off - this is my personal experience. Whereas, an aftermarket card may be 60-65C in those same conditions and will not throttle.

The only way I would opt for reference is if I were doing any type of SLI or if I had a small factor case. In every other situation, EVERY other one, I would get an aftermarket card. The gigabyte WF3, MSI Twin Frozr and Asus DC2 are all fantastic, the EVGA ACX is good as well but not as quiet at high manual fan speeds than the asus/gigabyte/msi. And I do use manual fan most of the time for overclocking purposes.

Lastly, the Titan cooler on the EVGA 770 2GB card is 450$. Screw that. For that much money you can get an aftermarket cooler WITH 4GB of RAM. I appreciate EVGA for offering it, but there's just no way in hell I would pay 450$ for a worse cooler - unless I were using SLI I would not buy it.

I have had both cards and I wish I has kept the Gigabyte over the EVGA. I am very anal about noise, so the EVGA minimum fan speed of 41% was quite loud - I wouldn't notice it when playing games, but when you want to sit and study or surf the web it is quite annoying. Whereas the Gigabyte card was absolutely silent at 17%. I ended up flashing my EVGA 770 ACX with the Gigabyte Windforce 770 bios so I could get the fan speed down to a bearable level. There is really no reason for the EVGA card to idle at 41% since the temperature of the card is the same at 17%.

Why go through all the trouble of flashing the BIOS? Couldn't a custom fan profile do the same thing?

Would I buy a reference design?

No. I think the Titan cooler is great, but having better noise characteristics (which aftermarket cards ARE quieter and cooler at load) and being able to prevent throttling at 80C is very important to me. The titan cooler is the best reference design ever made, but it is still not as good as the best aftermarket cards. The other thing is Kepler cards begin throttling at 80C, and 80C is not uncommon territory for a reference Titan cooler if you play with vsync off - this is my personal experience. Whereas, an aftermarket card may be 60-65C in those same conditions and will not throttle.

The only way I would opt for reference is if I were doing any type of SLI or if I had a small factor case. In every other situation, EVERY other one, I would get an aftermarket card. The gigabyte WF3, MSI Twin Frozr and Asus DC2 are all fantastic, the EVGA ACX is good as well but not as quiet at high manual fan speeds than the asus/gigabyte/msi. And I do use manual fan most of the time for overclocking purposes.

Lastly, the Titan cooler on the EVGA 770 2GB card is 450$. Screw that. For that much money you can get an aftermarket cooler WITH 4GB of RAM. I appreciate EVGA for offering it, but there's just no way in hell I would pay 450$ for a worse cooler - unless I were using SLI I would not buy it.
In some reviews Titan cooled GTX 770 have almost the same fan noise than Gigabyte or Lightning.
EVGA Titan cost only 15 bucks more than Gigabyte.
I have midi tower Thermaltake Swing with one 120mm fan on the back and one on the front of the case.
I have semi passive Seasonic X PSU.
Do you think, it will prosecute to blow hot air from the case?

Would be better to change case to something modern.

I had TT Tsunami so nearly identical to Swing cooling wise and it couldn't cool system with GTX 470 even after i mounted additional 120mm fan into 5,25" bays and that was 220W blower card like those 770 today.

It's almost 10 years case.
To these days I have only had reference cards with blower coolers, so do you prefer reference card in my case?
I haven't got much money for the new case :(
The front fan is mainly for HDD cooling, so above the card there's only one 120mm fan for the hot air.

Here's my case:
i4d6.jpg

I can install one 8cm fan on the side of the case, the perforated hole is situated above the CPU.
The length from the GPU bracket to HDD basket is 29cm so I can fit any GTX 770 just enough.
Which one GTX 770 do you prefer in my case?
Titan blower EVGA or Gigabyte Windforce?
Thanks.

that windforce cooler is VERY long.. it goes like an inch past my mobo... you'll be butting up against the hd cage... you might be better off with a blower style cooler also, in a smallish case.. you'll want that heat dumping outside of the back. just my 0.02

Back