EVGA GTX 1080 versions confirmed via Precision X OC

trilegdog

Weaksauce
EVGA - PrecisionX OC

(click on above link for 27 May countdown clock)

GEFORCE GTX 1080
Superclocked
FTW
Classified
Hybrid
Hydro Copper

Looks to me like 6 versions, assuming the GEFORCE GTX 1080 is the FE edition

(edited: 21 May, added description for link)

Last edited:
so whats the deal. OBV given the choice, i want a customer cooler version of the 1080 w/ 2 power ports. Are these going to be available on may 27 with the FE's? Or are we going to need to wait even longer to find them in the wild?

so whats the deal. OBV given the choice, i want a customer cooler version of the 1080 w/ 2 power ports. Are these going to be available on may 27 with the FE's? Or are we going to need to wait even longer to find them in the wild?

Probably not. I would expect those to be 2-4 weeks out. Then hard to find because everyone will be wanting to buy those.

Another thing to think about. We have no idea how good/bad the supply is of the chips right now. They might stay at a high price because of how low the supply is....No one knows right now.

Actually the reference PCB has traces for a second power connector, so it's OK. What you want is either a custom PCB or a reference card with that second power plug.

I haven't owned an EVGA so I haven't used their software. But after seeing the 1080 OC preview I can't help but say that it looks awful. Why do manufacturers keep trying to make cool looking GUI instead of just good simple layout/interface so you can overclock? I recently tried using ASUS's but pretty quickly went back to MSI's because it just seemed gimped. What do you guys think of the EVGA software that have used it?

Precision X is like a horrible skin for Afterburner with less functionality.

I'd rather wait for giga or msi. Was not quite fond of evga's acx cooler which is rather loud.

I'd rather wait for giga or msi. Was not quite fond of evga's acx cooler which is rather loud.

Have to agree - its nice that the 9xx series are almost always at 0% fan when im running the hackintosh side of my rig (for sound editing/mastering), but when I flip over to windows its noticeable while gaming at a standard volume

I'd want a classified. I was very happy with the 980 ti classified I had

I'd want a classified. I was very happy with the 980 ti classified I had
ACX has been garbage for me. First 980 Ti had rattling fins, my brother's 950 has a clicky fan bearing. EVGA's QA is just non-existant.
And of course the cooler itself doesn't do a good job.

Still, if we're talking about sub-200W parts I can't imagine caring too much about heatsink quality. As long as the board sports 6+8 pins minimum, I would be fine with ACX again. I will not buy another generic ACX card in the ~250W range ever again... Unless EVGA totally overhauls their ACX design.

Let it be known the 980 Ti's ACX heatsink is the same design from the 780. In 3 years, the only thing they've done is added a small set of fins in the middle area.

cEaiwjM.png

After switching to AIO for my Titan X's, I'll never use a top end GPU without water again. I last had a custom loop for a video card back in 2006 and switched to air coolers out of sheer laziness but now that AIOs are so easy to attach, there's zero reason to ever go back to air. If EVGA puts out a hybrid 1080 that has 8 + 6, they'll have a winner on their hands.

After switching to AIO for my Titan X's, I'll never use a top end GPU without water again. I last had a custom loop for a video card back in 2006 and switched to air coolers out of sheer laziness but now that AIOs are so easy to attach, there's zero reason to ever go back to air. If EVGA puts out a hybrid 1080 that has 8 + 6, they'll have a winner on their hands.

There may be zero reason for you, but I've never had an AIO (Asetek or Corsair or Swiftech) that lasted more than 2.5 years - and having a video card fry like my old 2600K would be completely unacceptable.

There may be zero reason for you, but I've never had an AIO (Asetek or Corsair or Swiftech) that lasted more than 2.5 years - and having a video card fry like my old 2600K would be completely unacceptable.
I will be on my deathbed without ever putting water in my PC. Not gonna happen... AIO, custom loop, or otherwise.

Well Classified uses a better heatsink plus overkill PCB, so yes.
If I end up buying a 1080 Ti someday it will probably be Classy.

Well Classified uses a better heatsink plus overkill PCB, so yes.
If I end up buying a 1080 Ti someday it will probably be Classy.
Thanks,
good to know as I have never owned an EVGA and thinking about this time if they release a 1080ti (yeah could be waiting for that awhile lol) and maybe even a very good custom 1080 when eventually prices become sane - depends upon what we see from AMD of course as that could also be an option.
Cheers

I've been using an h100i a few years now without issue. The difference for the Titan X has been phenomenal, load temps while overclocked were cut nearly in half.

I've been using an h100i a few years now without issue. The difference for the Titan X has been phenomenal, load temps while overclocked were cut nearly in half.
Yeah but how much does it actually help? Fury X runs like 40-50C load and it's still a dud card.
Looking at the 980 Ti, water doesn't help much compared to beefy heatsinks like the G1 or Zotac models. For the AMD side, look at the triple-fan XFX / Sapphire / PowerColor models. And then for CPUs you have the D14 and D15 which are like $70-$90, much cheaper than all watercooling solutions including AIO and they provide comparable or better performance.

I just don't see the benefit of water except making your temps unnecessarily low and introducing many new points of failure to your $500+ PC components. There is NO difference between 50C and 70C besides a number in MSI Afterburner.

Yeah but how much does it actually help? Fury X runs like 40-50C load and it's still a dud card.
Looking at the 980 Ti, water doesn't help much compared to beefy heatsinks like the G1 or Zotac models. For the AMD side, look at the triple-fan XFX / Sapphire / PowerColor models. And then for CPUs you have the D14 and D15 which are like $70-$90, much cheaper than all watercooling solutions including AIO and they provide comparable or better performance.

I just don't see the benefit of water except making your temps unnecessarily low and introducing many new points of failure to your $500+ PC components. There is NO difference between 50C and 70C besides a number in MSI Afterburner.

With GPU boost 3.0's updated way of scaling of GPU clock speed, having water might be even more useful to keep a steady core clock speed - as shown in the single review that showed a 1080 with the 980 Ti Hydro's cooler frankensteined on. However I fully agree that it is an extra point of failure, which is why big ass heat sinks are what I go for now.

It boils down to whether or not a (possible, but not guaranteed) 50 or a 100 MHz bump over what a big air cooler can do is worth it to you. For me the price and my prior experience with AIO's failing have lead me to believe that it just isn't worth it, and that a beefy chunk of metal for a heatsink is better because it gets you close to the same speeds that water can provide, and has much better longevity,

I wonder if the 1070 lineup will include hybrid or hydro versions, the AIO plus boost clocks seems a great pairing

I wonder if the 1070 lineup will include hybrid or hydro versions, the AIO plus boost clocks seems a great pairing
It will eventually. I'm wondering if I should try to get any 1080 on its release day for resale. Live not far from microcenter.

Thanks,
good to know as I have never owned an EVGA and thinking about this time if they release a 1080ti (yeah could be waiting for that awhile lol) and maybe even a very good custom 1080 when eventually prices become sane - depends upon what we see from AMD of course as that could also be an option.
Cheers

At least if you buy evga you know you have the best warranty in the biz.

ACX has been garbage for me. First 980 Ti had rattling fins, my brother's 950 has a clicky fan bearing. EVGA's QA is just non-existant.
And of course the cooler itself doesn't do a good job.

Still, if we're talking about sub-200W parts I can't imagine caring too much about heatsink quality. As long as the board sports 6+8 pins minimum, I would be fine with ACX again. I will not buy another generic ACX card in the ~250W range ever again... Unless EVGA totally overhauls their ACX design.

Let it be known the 980 Ti's ACX heatsink is the same design from the 780. In 3 years, the only thing they've done is added a small set of fins in the middle area.

cEaiwjM.png

I only buy evga video cards and I have had only 1 bad card that was replaced under warranty. Their warranty and support make them the only company I buy from.

What video card manufacturer do you recommend? The only other one I would even consider today would be MSI and I haven't had to guts to try them yet.

At least if you buy evga you know you have the best warranty in the biz.
Yeah, also personally I just need to make sure it is one of their custom boards such as the Classified rather than reference.
Cheers

Msi or giga. Thay have nice support and models. I was disappointed in acx. If evga left it without changes - won't even look at them. I expect to get nice msi card this time.

Yeah, also personally I just need to make sure it is one of their custom boards such as the Classified rather than reference.
Cheers

only custom boards able to compete with Classifieds are Asus Matrix series or MSI Lightning series and those take a lot of months to arrive to the market almost to EOL, there are others couple of brands which makes great Custom boards, like the old Galaxy HoF Series (now Galax) or the newer performer which truly impressed me Gigabyte Extreme Gaming Series.. but Classifieds always take the less time to arrive and are always top quality. also the low price of the 980TI classified surprised me a lot, main reason why I have one of those in my main rig..

Guess there was a preorder today... Did anyone get an email about this? Im on EVGA and Neweggs lists, bummed I missed out

Will be interested to see what the Classy can do whenever it comes out. They overengineer the PCB in those suckers, so power should not be an issue.

Back