EVGA GTX 1060 SC vs Sapphire RX 580 NITRO+ Special Edition

Nielo TM

Gawd
Hi. Had to send in my MSI 1060 Gaming X due to hardware fault and since the card is not in stock, was offered refund. After some research, I've narrowed down the choice to these two.

The EVGA is retailing for £255 and the Sapphire is retailing for £290. I had the 1060 before so I know what to expect. But is the RX580 worth the extra £35? Would it retain its value better? How are the AMD drivers these days?

EVGA seems like the safest option, but if the RX580 is worth it, then I'll opt for that

Hi. Had to send in my MSI 1060 Gaming X due to hardware fault and since the card is not in stock, was offered refund. After some research, I've narrowed down the choice to these two.

The EVGA is retailing for £255 and the Sapphire is retailing for £290. I had the 1060 before so I know what to expect. But is the RX580 worth the extra £35? Would it retain its value better? How are the AMD drivers these days?

EVGA seems like the safest option, but if the RX580 is worth it, then I'll opt for that

AMD drivers have been fine for years, I don't know where this rumour comes from or why it refuses to die.

Note before the fanbois get involved, I've got a 1060 card at present, my previous card was AMD, there are the same number of issues on both manufacturers.

they're both really close in performance so you can't really go wrong with either of them. the main advantage the 1060 has is better overclocking but if you have a freesync display the rx580's worth the extra 35.

It's going to come down to which games you play and how those games are optimized for each architecture. I'd recommend scouring the web for reviews that include the games you play, and decide from there.

As mentioned, if you have a Freesync display, get the AMD card. If not either card would suit you but I'd opt for whichever is cheaper. I think the 580 is a better card if you're not worried about your power supply but not 35 pounds better if you don't have the variable sync technology to take advantage of it.

Also, as stated by someone else, I don't know why the AMD driver sucks rumor persists. I've had AMD exclusive cards for over a decade without issue (present card excepted).

Thanks for all the replies. Decided to go with 1060. It's the high power consumption that put me off.

Back