EVGA GTX 1060 6GB at $240.00 After MIR, good value?

So I'm looking at this card for a 1080p gaming/HTPC build: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1267099-REG/evga_06g_p4_6163_kr_geforce_gtx_1060_sc.html

I'm wondering if i should get this now since it's a decent price or just hold off until black Friday?

I have no real time table that the system needs to be completed so waiting isn't an issue. I does seem that GPUs are trending down a little.

Also the 3GB card (lower clocks) is $180 AMIR: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1282021-REG/evga_03g_p4_6160_kr_geforce_gtx_1060_3gb.html

But I am thinking the 6GB will give me more longevity although I don't know if its worth the 30% increase in price though.

buy it.. it's at lower than MSRP.. for that card price was 249$ and 299$ for founders.

About price related to the 3GB. with modern gaming even at 1080P I won't go with a card with less than 6GB or vRAM. lot of games go easily over 4GB and 5GB, so actually the sweet-spot it is 6GB.. and it worth the extra price not only due the vRAM but also because it have more shaders so a bit more of performance there. the cooler may not be too much great and may get a bit loudy when overclocking due the single fan nature, however it will be OK with that lower power kind of cards.

buy it.. it's at lower than MSRP.. for that card price was 249$ and 299$ for founders.

About price related to the 3GB. with modern gaming even at 1080P I won't go with a card with less than 6GB or vRAM. lot of games go easily over 4GB and 5GB, so actually the sweet-spot it is 6GB.. and it worth the extra price not only due the vRAM but also because it have more shaders so a bit more of performance there. the cooler may not be too much great and may get a bit loudy when overclocking due the single fan nature, however it will be OK with that lower power kind of cards.

I was thinking there could be an issue with textures on some games filling up the 3GB. this is going in a mini ITX system in a theater so I'm not sure how much I'd OC as it needs to be somewhat quiet.

well, nowadays texture fill issues are little (to say null) in comparison to the past, games won't crash or won't get corrupted but by sure you will have a noticeable performance impact while exceeding vRAM limit as the card will be forced constantly to swap textures with the virtual memory and shader cache.. but aside from performance penalty and stuttering you won't notice any other heavy issue. the card as itself it's quiet, modern GPUS support a feature called zero RPM operation so while the card it's below 60C then fan will be OFF completely, that mean totally silent operation.. i won't be too concerned about noise unless going nuts with the overclock requiring higher RPM on the fans.

I think $240 for a 1060 is terrible.

Still over priced due to mining.

WTH.. if the MSRP for the GTX 1060 it's 249$ for AIB and 299$ for Founders, how it can be overpriced due mining?.. lol..

The premium for an extra 3gb is huge. And process have not come down since the boom

210$ AIB, 239$ Founders for the 1060 3GB. and OP it's buying a 6GB version for 240$?. which it's also about 5% to 10% depending on the game, and will allow to use better settings due having double vRAM... using 3GB in 2017 should be illegal, lol

The 3 GB and 6 GB cards share more than a 3 GB difference; the 6 GB version has 1280 CUDA cores vs. the 3 GB edition having 1152 CUDA cores.

I'm aware of the differences. I have ~20 or so 1060's :p

At that price point I'd look at a rx580 8gb.

At that price point I'd look at a rx580 8gb.

As I would do.. but OP its at nvidia Sub for a reason.

But you will not find an rx 580 8GB for less than 289$ (the cheapest I found actually) which its a biggest price than the gtx 1060 3gb to 1060 6gb.

Back