EVGA GT 640 =) Cute little guy

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=02G-P4-2643-KR&family=GeForce 600 Series Family&sw=

I wonder where this guy stands with the other cards I think I'll wait for a 200.00 card.

Core Specs
384 CUDA Cores
GPU Clock: 901 MHz
Bus: PCI-E 3.01
Texture Fill Rate: 28.8 GT/s
Memory Specs
Memory Detail: 2048 MB DDR3
Memory Bit Width: 128 Bit
Memory Clock: 1782 MHz
Memory Bandwidth: 28.5 GB/sec
Key Features
NVIDIA SMX Engine
NVIDIA Adaptive Vertical Sync
NVIDIA Surround
Supports three concurrent displays; two dual-link DVI connectors, one Mini HDMI
Microsoft DirectX 11 with Direct Compute 5.0 support
NVIDIA PhysX Technology
NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready**
NVIDIA CUDA Technology
PCI Express 3.0 Support
OpenGL 4.2 Support
OpenCL

I thought this might be a re-brand but I can't find anything near it specs. That and its freaking tiny.
edit: Heres a review from Toms. Looks like the entry level gaming kepler card.
edit2: I don't really know what Nvidia is thinking. The 7750 kicks the shit out of it at the same price point.

384 CUDA cores brought to mind 560 Ti when I saw this a few days ago, but then it dawned on me how gimped this one is comparatively. There's an OEM version with GDDR5.

10% evga tax for a stock card, eh? ($10 above $99.99 msrp)

The Afox that Tomshardware reviewed was low profile, just needs a low profile bracket.

I don't really know what Nvidia is thinking. The 7750 kicks the shit out of it at the same price point.

Yeah, that is pretty sad. I guess we'll see once there's wide availability.

I thought this might be a re-brand but I can't find anything near it specs. That and its freaking tiny.
edit: Heres a review from Toms. Looks like the entry level gaming kepler card.
edit2: I don't really know what Nvidia is thinking. The 7750 kicks the shit out of it at the same price point.
This one not re-branded... there're 3 types of GT 640, the only re-branded Fermi is the one which uses 192-bit ddr3 memory. The other 2 are Kelper chips, 128-bt memory, one at lower clock 797 /891 memory with ddr3, another at 950 /2500 with ddr5.

It is "tiny" entry level card and capable of doing 3 displays (basic) surround gaming or, a good choice for desktop works where 3~4 displays can be easily handled without expensive cables. IMO they need to be $80, anyways, we will soon see discount and rebates after a while to get there.

Minimum framerate of 56 fps on high settings at 1280x1024 for the Radeon HD-7750 in Skyrim?

Where are they running around in the game? My Radeon HD-7750 certainly doesn't pull that kind of performance! Sheesh - I WISH it would! :mad:

EDIT - at 4x MSAA and 8x AF no less... I'm not sure I trust these benchies.

That card offers 20% more pixel and texel fill-rate than my old 2008 model 9600GT, but only has about half the memory bandwidth, and for "only" $100!? F that... Top to bottom, this generation sucks for value.

That card offers 20% more pixel and texel fill-rate than my old 2008 model 9600GT, but only has about half the memory bandwidth, and for "only" $100!? F that... Top to bottom, this generation sucks for value.

Give me a 660 or 7850, great value cards in my opinion(hoping for the 660). This? garbage.

Upgrading and OLD rig, the GT 640 caught my eye since I was seriously looking at a GTS 450. The only games I play are flight simulator FS9 and FSX which are cpu intensive. What I don't like is the DDR3; I think I'll wait for the DDR5 version which probably won't be a great improvement for my purposes.

Bob

Upgrading and OLD rig, the GT 640 caught my eye since I was seriously looking at a GTS 450. The only games I play are flight simulator FS9 and FSX which are cpu intensive. What I don't like is the DDR3; I think I'll wait for the DDR5 version which probably won't be a great improvement for my purposes.

Radeon 7770 at Amazon for $135 free s/h (plus $15 rebate!) ... seems unlikely that the 640+DDR5 is going to even remotely touch that.

Minimum framerate of 56 fps on high settings at 1280x1024 for the Radeon HD-7750 in Skyrim?

Where are they running around in the game? My Radeon HD-7750 certainly doesn't pull that kind of performance! Sheesh - I WISH it would! :mad:

EDIT - at 4x MSAA and 8x AF no less... I'm not sure I trust these benchies.

Im playing it on my 7770 and getting slightly better(obviously) though at 1366x768. These cards at that res is like a 670 at 1080p+.

Im playing it on my 7770 and getting slightly better(obviously) though at 1366x768. These cards at that res is like a 670 at 1080p+.
well a gtx670 is about 150% faster than a 7770. that means a gtx670 would still be 50% faster at 1920x1080 than the 7770 is at 1366x768. :eek:

384 CUDA cores brought to mind 560 Ti when I saw this a few days ago, but then it dawned on me how gimped this one is comparatively. There's an OEM version with GDDR5.

true until you realize that the 384 cuda cores on the 640 are running at 50% lower clocks than the GTX 560 thus puts it below the GT450.

good card for the OEM market, worthless for anything else. i'd rather buy a trinity APU than that thing.

I agree that the HD 7770 and HD 6670 would be better gpus. But nVidia cards have always wokred better in FS9 than ATI/AMD cards due to AA issues (though the newest Radeons not so much). So I'll pay more for an "inferior" product simply because nVidia, specifically the GT 640, is expected to work best on the only games I play. I will admit to being more than a little tempted to try Radeon, but I think I'd have to spend way more than what a GT640 will cost.

But, I do sincerely appreciate the advice thus far.

Bob

with gddr5 this would be a fairly competitive card but sticking with ddr3 was just stupid for a card like this. lol, even an 8600gts from 2007 has more memory bandwidth.

with gddr5 this would be a fairly competitive card but sticking with ddr3 was just stupid for a card like this. lol, even an 8600gts from 2007 has more memory bandwidth.

Would that make the price worse though? GDDR5 is much more expensive than 3 from what I understand.

Unfortunately for the GT640, that price range has way better performing cards for better prices. It needs the price halved...IMO.

Would that make the price worse though? GDDR5 is much more expensive than 3 from what I understand.

Unfortunately for the GT640, that price range has way better performing cards for better prices. It needs the price halved...IMO.
well they are clearly already overcharging for this card so they should have been able to get gddr5 and offer the card for about the same price.

Back