EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti DirectX $409 New

I'd take a $379 1070 over that if it existed, but at that price, compared to the 1070FE, that's a good deal for today.

Last edited:
To be honest, I would take this over a 1070 or 1080. I'm sorry I returned my 980ti.

overclocked its near 1080 performance. sure the 1080 can OC, but it nets only 8% more when OCd. At most OC vs OC you're looking at a 20% less performance. to buy a $620 1080 vs this is 50% more money for 20% performance.

Yeah, that's a classified card per the p/n. Not sure why he said it wasn't.

EVGA's site says step up for products purchased thru Ebay don't count, but I wonder if this would since it's Newegg?

What is step up?

Also I'm debating getting this - trying to build a new PC and I was waiting for the new nvidia cards but their whole marketing scheme and the lack of stock for the un foreseeable future makes this look like a tasty deal

I myself would personally pick a 1070 over this.

If it's eligible for step up then in 90 days the person can pay the difference for a 1080 when there's stock. Personally, I won't buy the same performance we had since last generation in the 1070.

If it's eligible for step up then in 90 days the person can pay the difference for a 1080 when there's stock. Personally, I won't buy the same performance we had since last generation in the 1070.

I'm coming from a GTX 970 so it's all I need. :)

I mean can we even assume that they will have stock in 90 days for the step up program? Lol

The base ACX 2.0 GTX 1070 is $429, so is this a good deal for $20 less? I'd say only if you already have a GTX 980 TI for SLI.

The base ACX 2.0 GTX 1070 is $429, so is this a good deal for $20 less? I'd say only if you already have a GTX 980 TI for SLI.

I completely understand this point of view and is the reason I haven't pulled the plug again but have they announced a release date for their 1080?

Tempting but nope, not going to do it. I'll scale back to 1440P or even 1080P to keep ultra level settings and 60fps in whatever I'm playing. I'm on a 27" 4K display that actually scales well, so screw a PSU upgrade and game/driver difficulties to run SLI. It must suck to be someone in need of a video card right NOW.

I mean can we even assume that they will have stock in 90 days for the step up program? Lol
If you claim the Step up within the 90 days, you'll just be one the wait list. In the meantime, you're still gaming on a pretty good card.
People that want to SLI can wait for better used prices in two months. This deal is more so for the people that want a 1080 power, but can have a 980Ti for 90 days until 1080 AIB stock is available.

Or people that run a hugh end CRT like me who the 1070 and 1080 won't work with ^_^

Just a heads up, these GPU's aren't eligible for the step up program. So don't buy them with that intention.

edit: Apparently another member confirmed that these ARE eligible. Not sure why my particular GPU wasn't, but if you can take advantage of this then more power to you :)

Last edited:
Just a heads up, these GPU's aren't eligible for the step up program. So don't buy them with that intention.

I have one of these from an earlier deal and I tried to step up the moment the new GTX10x0 series was announced and was disappointed to see that the classified wasn't eligible. Hopefully this stops someone from hoping they can get GTX1080 for 400.00

Good update. Without the step up, there's no good reason to buy these at $409.

I have one of these from an earlier deal and I tried to step up the moment the new GTX10x0 series was announced and was disappointed to see that the classified wasn't eligible. Hopefully this stops someone from hoping they can get GTX1080 for 400.00

Why isn't the classified eligible to step up?

Or do you mean that you can't step up TO a 1080 classified? Because that's always been the case, usually only base models are offered as a step up option regardless of you having a kingpin on down to a reference card.

Just spoke with an EVGA rep on the phone. He said that Newegg is an authorised retailer, and if purchased via Newegg's Ebay storefront YOU ARE ELIGIBLE for step up - as long as you register your card within 14 days, start the step up process within 90 days, and upload your Newegg invoice.

Edit: He mentioned that that particular question gets asked a lot, so I'm surprised that they haven't modified their step-up page to be clear on the matter.

I also called EVGA and they stated that the card is eligible because it ends in part number KR and purchased from Newegg.

So if I'm understanding this correctly - I can Step-Up to a 1080 but not to a "classified" version

So if I'm understanding this correctly - I can Step-Up to a 1080 but not to a "classified" version

So, get this overclocked 980 ti that's within spitting distance of a stock 1080. Pay $409. Then, pay the step-up fee (price difference) of $210 (for $619 stock edition) or $290 (for $699 FE) for a small boost in performance.

So, get this overclocked 980 ti that's within spitting distance of a stock 1080. Pay $409. Then, pay the step-up fee (price difference) of $210 (for $619 stock edition) or $290 (for $699 FE) for a small boost in performance.
Spitting distance of a 1080? Classified 980Ti does not even beat out a 1070...... Not sure where people are getting all this info from that a 980Ti is close to a 1080. Even overclocked it is not. The classified boosts to nearly 1300mhz out of the box. Classified 980Ti is slower than stock 1070 by less than 5%. How the fuck is it close to a 1080?

Spitting distance of a 1080? Classified 980Ti does not even beat out a 1070...... Not sure where people are getting all this info from that a 980Ti is close to a 1080. Even overclocked it is not. The classified boosts to nearly 1300mhz out of the box. Classified 980Ti is slower than stock 1070 by less than 5%. How the fuck is it close to a 1080?

I think he's talking about OC, but even then a stock 1080 is still 10-15% faster.

But the only 1080 available now is the FE, which is $300 more. Is it worth paying $300 more for 10%? I think that's the point he was making.

I think he's talking about OC, but even then a stock 1080 is still 10-15% faster.

But the only 1080 available now is the FE, which is $300 more. Is it worth paying $300 more for 10%? I think that's the point he was making.

The (knowledgeable) guys over at OCN are saying the 1080 is 22.6% faster OC vs OC. Looking at actual gaming benchmarks I think this is probably true.

I just saw a non-FE pop up on Newegg, the EVGA $649 model. EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 08G-P4-6183-KR 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Graphics Card - Newegg.com Maybe I should have been a dickbag, bought it, and resold it. I just grabbed the FE model instead for SLI.

I still agree with you. If you're budget minded at all $409 is a fantastic deal.

The (knowledgeable) guys over at OCN are saying the 1080 is 22.6% faster OC vs OC. Looking at actual gaming benchmarks I think this is probably true.

I just saw a non-FE pop up on Newegg, the EVGA $649 model. EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 08G-P4-6183-KR 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Graphics Card - Newegg.com Maybe I should have been a dickbag, bought it, and resold it. I just grabbed the FE model instead for SLI.

I still agree with you. If you're budget minded at all $409 is a fantastic deal.

Yeah, but those are risky buys judging from the reviews. As the reseller, someone may try to file a claim against you.
Right now, the only EVGA model that seems solid out the box is the FE.

Yeah, but those are risky buys judging from the reviews. As the reseller, someone may try to file a claim against you.
Right now, the only EVGA model that seems solid out the box is the FE.

Don't buy the FUD about the EVGA cards that our fellow forum member is posting. The only unique issue they have had is some cards shipping with a bit of the protective plastic under some heatsink screws. Everything else is par for the course with a release like this.. mostly lack of experience.

Don't buy the FUD about the EVGA cards that our fellow forum member is posting. The only unique issue they have had is some cards shipping with a bit of the protective plastic under some heatsink screws. Everything else is par for the course with a release like this.. mostly lack of experience.

Mostly but not entirely? Your info is not absolute as well, getting your info from the same source I did...the Internet.
How do I know? Because I read that exact response in another thread, either here or OCN.

Show me the 100 EVGA ACX 3.0 cards you have on hand to test the defect rate and then you can shout fud.

Mostly but not entirely? Your info is not absolute as well, getting your info from the same source I did...the Internet.
How do I know? Because I read that exact response in another thread, either here or OCN.

Show me the 100 EVGA ACX 3.0 cards you have on hand to test the defect rate and then you can shout fud.

A bit of logic applied to the situation, along with following the threads is all that's necessary. The only deviation between the EVGA cards currently available and all of the other Founders cards is the fan assembly. Aside from a couple of clicking fans (which happens with a small sample of all cards) and the mentioned plastic bits issue, it's driver problems, G-Sync problems, game specific problems, a bit of coil whine... It's a video card.. People are simply reporting the usual issues that they have when they upgrade these things.

I have no dog in the fight, using an MSI card here.. But to read the EVGA 1080 issues around the internet, particularly on the EVGA forum and conclude it's the result of EVGA defect is extremely naïve.

Edit: Sorry for the off topic, discussion for this belongs here: Warning on Evga 1080 cards

Last edited:
Back