EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 vs Hybrid = HELP ME CHOOSE!

kohan69

2[H]4U
only +$50 for hybrd

FTW3 has a higher max power because of its bios, right?

Any measurable performance difference in overclock?

FTW3 easier to resell when new gen comes out ?

How much louder is FTW3 than a hybrid? I heard pump needs to be plugged in to a fan plug on mobo to control its speed, else it's audible at idle

I'm leaning towards FTW3

hybrid.

Any other EVGA card is obnoxiously loud due to poor fan implementation. Ppl just buy them for the warranty and the inability to actually shop around and hear the difference in fans from multiple vendors. If you like a leaf blower in your room than buy the FTW3.

I've had a couple FTW cards and while their fans aren't the quietest in the world, they're still pretty good and it only took a little tweaking in Precision X's fan settings to dial in a virtually silent running card. The fans were strong enough that they could keep the card cool even with a mild overclock at low speed. Might be worth saving $50 and just trying a custom fan profile. But honestly I never thought they were overly loud and wouldn't have had a problem with their default profile.

hybrid.

Any other EVGA card is obnoxiously loud due to poor fan implementation. Ppl just buy them for the warranty and the inability to actually shop around and hear the difference in fans from multiple vendors. If you like a leaf blower in your room than buy the FTW3.
Absolute rubbish.
Leaf blower? Give me a break.

I own 17 1080ti. Only two are from EVGA. The 2 are the EVGA Black SC. It’s absolutely quiet. The EVGA ICX cooler is the best of those I own.
I’d assume the FTW is superior though I’ll admit I’ve not heard a EVGA FTW 1080 ti yet.

Hybrid isn’t necessary on 1080ti - unless you need to exhaust the hot air out of your case or have a small case with ineffective air cooling —- or you want to overclock to the absolute max and NEVER worry about throttling (at which point the hybrid won’t be silent either) The aftermarket coolers on the 1080tis are excellent! I used hybrid cards in the past, but I’d wager that EVGA FTW is quieter than any hybrid because it lacks pump noise and has an oversized heat sink and fan cooler allowing the fans to spin very slowly.

Last edited:
I like quiet. But hybrids are just not as reliable in the long term. And the evga hybrid specifically has noise issues at idle (the pump is always 100%, needs to be connected to a motherboard fan controller to be quiet and then arbitrarily controlled by cpu temperature)
I can't find a direct noise comparison between the two :(
And I want an $800 investment to be easily resellable if needed.

Absolute rubbish.
Leaf blower? Give me a break.

I own 17 1080ti. Only two are from EVGA. The 2 are the EVGA Black SC. It’s absolutely quiet. The EVGA ICX cooler is the best of those I own.
I’d assume the FTW is superior though I’ll admit I’ve not heard a EVGA FTW 1080 ti yet.

Hybrid isn’t necessary on 1080ti - unless you need to exhaust the hot air out of your case or have a small case with ineffective air cooling —- or you want to overclock to the absolute max and NEVER worry about throttling (at which point the hybrid won’t be silent either) The aftermarket coolers on the 1080tis are excellent! I used hybrid cards in the past, but I’d wager that EVGA FTW is quieter than any hybrid because it lacks pump noise and has an oversized heat sink and fan cooler allowing the fans to spin very slowly.

Low volts and underclocking usually doesn't result in need for maximum fan profiles.

hybrid.

Make a note of this members name and realize he doesn't know what he's talking about anytime you see a post from him.

I usually put aa EK block on my cards but never bothered on my FTW3... just saying.

I'd go air.

I have a 980 Ti Hybrid. The 120 AIO just isn't enough to keep it quiet. Although the 1080 Ti does pull less power than the 980 Ti. I modified my 980 Ti Hybrid to use a Corsair H90 (140) and it helps a lot. But between that and the additional cost for a Hybrid, you might as well go with a full loop.

Again and as others have said, stick with a high quality air cooler unless you're going to do a full loop.

I'd go air.

I have a 980 Ti Hybrid. The 120 AIO just isn't enough to keep it quiet. Although the 1080 Ti does pull less power than the 980 Ti. I modified my 980 Ti Hybrid to use a Corsair H90 (140) and it helps a lot. But between that and the additional cost for a Hybrid, you might as well go with a full loop.

Again and as others have said, stick with a high quality air cooler unless you're going to do a full loop.
wat

i have an nf-p12 on my hybrid and it's completely silent no matter what. i don't even have to run the fan at max speed.

Theirs some not too bad deals on 1080s right now. But I'm still fine with the 1060 honestly.

i recently completed my new build with an EVGA 1070ti hybrid. I installed it without connecting the fan to the motherboard, it draws power from the card itself. i read that some didnt like the fact that it was only a 2 wire fan and you basically have no control over it (not sure what they mean since the software allows a custom fan profile, perhaps they are referring to being able to swap the fan for a 3 or 4 wire model) but my experience so far is that it works fine, is very quiet and the software allows plenty of customization for my needs. my first experience with any water cooling whatsoever and so far im impressed with the card as well as the Tt water 3.0.

I've heard of a lot of issues with hybrid coolers the past few months.. pumps that are dying.

I'd go with a water block if you want max overclocks and a quiet reliable setup.

So go air and if needed buy a ek block for it later.

OP I just bought the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti hybrid and I'm absolutely blown away by it. It's running at only 42C under full load. The boost is pegged to 2000mhz at 1000mv (I undervolted it) and I got +500mhz on the memory, I haven't tried for more.

It's worth the extra $50 IMO. Please show me another card that can run this cool.

100% recommended.

Enjoying my 1080ti hybrid (converted founders). Cooling is exceptional. My previous 980 SC was quieter though.

Hope they hold up for ya! If ya start to see 60-70c then the pump is going. :/

The corsair brand hybrid coolers these card use are all made by one company thst holds the patent.. and seems like quality control is going down.

I like quiet. But hybrids are just not as reliable in the long term. And the evga hybrid specifically has noise issues at idle (the pump is always 100%, needs to be connected to a motherboard fan controller to be quiet and then arbitrarily controlled by cpu temperature)
I can't find a direct noise comparison between the two :(
And I want an $800 investment to be easily resellable if needed.

This is the problem I ran into with my Hybrid 1080. I ended up using the mini 4-pin to normal fan header and a 7V adapter to run it at that speed all the time. Never passes 60C and its finally quiet. At full speed the Hybrid pump is one of the most annoying things I've ever heard in a PC.

EVGA should bundle that cable with their hybrids.
Everytime this discussion comes up it's always 1 random internet store selling the cable lol. Something so useful should be more readily available.

For all you guys complaining about the pump and saying the air cooled cards are the better option, I tried something this morning with my hybrid card. I set it to intake air from the front of my case, dumping all the heat from the GTX 1080 Ti into my system. My CPU temperatures went up by over 10C as a result, along with I assume the rest of my components. I assume this is exactly what would happen with an air cooled card that dumps heat into your case. If you guys are mining, without question buy the hybrid card. If you're just gaming it won't be such a big deal. However the fact that the hybrid cards dump all the heat outside your case is a really big advantage that's hard to ignore.

I don't notice the pump either. The 2000rpm fan that comes with it is louder than I would like but that will be solved by a pair of 1500rpm fans in a push/pull configuration.

Last edited:
im using a Tt v21 and have the front 200mm sucking in cold room air, and set the evga 1070ti hybrid to exhaust out the back. i also have a Tt water 3.0 (240mm long) cooler exhausting out the right side....everything is damn quiet. case sits about 2' from me at ear level in an ikea ivar shelf. so far under load the gpu hasnt gone above 45c and is typically in mid 20's when not gaming per evgas utility. cpu temps and mb temps as reported by asrocks tuning utility are equally low. i set a fan profile to keep noise down generally.

i can occasionally hear the water bubbling in the system but cant tell if its the cpu cooler or gpu cooler. its very faint and i can only hear it when no speakers or headphones are going.

im new to water coolers...can anyone tell me what happens if the pumps on either go? is it an instant disastrous spike in temp that kills the cpu/gpu? would it be wise to set a threshold in bios to shut things down if it gets too high to give me a chance to investigate?

pardon the hijack op...ignore me if need be.

im using a Tt v21 and have the front 200mm sucking in cold room air, and set the evga 1070ti hybrid to exhaust out the back. i also have a Tt water 3.0 (240mm long) cooler exhausting out the right side....everything is damn quiet. case sits about 2' from me at ear level in an ikea ivar shelf. so far under load the gpu hasnt gone above 45c and is typically in mid 20's when not gaming per evgas utility. cpu temps and mb temps as reported by asrocks tuning utility are equally low. i set a fan profile to keep noise down generally.

i can occasionally hear the water bubbling in the system but cant tell if its the cpu cooler or gpu cooler. its very faint and i can only hear it when no speakers or headphones are going.

im new to water coolers...can anyone tell me what happens if the pumps on either go? is it an instant disastrous spike in temp that kills the cpu/gpu? would it be wise to set a threshold in bios to shut things down if it gets too high to give me a chance to investigate?

pardon the hijack op...ignore me if need be.
I had the pump on my EVGA GTX 1070 hybrid card fail. Yes, the temps spiked to 90C+ even with a mild load on the GPU. EVGA was great about the RMA. They do cross shipping. I had my new card within a few days. I just had to pay for shipping the dead card to them.

I had the pump on my EVGA GTX 1070 hybrid card fail. Yes, the temps spiked to 90C+ even with a mild load on the GPU. EVGA was great about the RMA. They do cross shipping. I had my new card within a few days. I just had to pay for shipping the dead card to them.

at registration i considered the advanced rma and prepaid shipping and all that. wasnt sure it was worth it. sounds like it would be tho.....fingers crossed.

did your system shutdown when it spiked or were you lucky enough to be there as it happened to pull plug?

at registration i considered the advanced rma and prepaid shipping and all that. wasnt sure it was worth it. sounds like it would be tho.....fingers crossed.

did your system shutdown when it spiked or were you lucky enough to be there as it happened to pull plug?
I noticed it immediately. I was monitoring my temps. The system was acting strangely though, it suddenly went black and turned off on me. So that's why I was checking everything out. No damage to any other components, and actually the card probably would have continued to run fine with a new pump installed.

I will say that the replacement card they sent me didn't exactly arrive in mint condition. The radiator had a bunch of dings in it. But the new card gave me a higher memory overclock so whatever.

still got my FE lol, thougt i would be bothered by it but it have worked very well. it seems to me it's just chip determine the clock u get from it. 1950 stable boost is what mine does, it's not great but ok enough, mem is 300/600 mhz. running fan at 100% and clocking core only wouldnt net me anymore ingame boost or stability, even temp very low. maybe sligth more ingame boost but for temp decrease only. for noise and temp, it is higher temps and more noise but, unless it's really hot here in the summer it's not bad. even summer np with temps and no need to run at 100%. was thinking to get evga hubrid kit but, at best i guess i get no more OC, just the few ticks from temp. ofc ideally a good aftermarket is better, but by how much? i bougth mine at release cause i wanted it to play ME:A with. but from what i read then even with good card breaking 2,1 is hard.

Absolutely love the Hybrid, knock on wood against pump failure...

Getting overclocked speeds with silence is just fricken' awesome.

Maybe out of your options list but try Asus Strix. Absolutely silent. Less than 70 C load temps and clocks like a champ. I tried a few other cards but was disappointed in sound profile. Haven’t tried EVGA hybrid but heard all sorts of good and bad stories to avoid it.

Maybe out of your options list but try Asus Strix. Absolutely silent. Less than 70 C load temps and clocks like a champ. I tried a few other cards but was disappointed in sound profile. Haven’t tried EVGA hybrid but heard all sorts of good and bad stories to avoid it.

Nice, MSI is still best. But warranty wise asus vs evga?

I always buy air coolers, for reliability. Not to say that you couldn't get a hybrid that lasts for years but remember if you want to go water with an air cooler you can. I think either choice you will be happy with. For your particular situation, water might be the better choice. If you go water, get better fans for the radiator and add a second one to maximize lower temps.

I have 4x 1080 ti FTW3 cards all mining. The fans are whisper quiet. They all run at max 55 degrees Celsius, although ambient temperature at 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

The FTW3 is the quietest card I've ever had.

Nice, MSI is still best. But warranty wise asus vs evga?

I have owned at least a couple cards from both companies throughout the years, eVGA is head and shoulders above ASUS when dealing with warranty returns in my experience. I had to return the exact same card that I sent out to ASUS THREE TIMES before they sent me a working card; it shouldn't be hard to verify that a card is showing artifacts at bios screen lol.

I have 4x 1080 ti FTW3 cards all mining. The fans are whisper quiet. They all run at max 55 degrees Celsius, although ambient temperature at 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

The FTW3 is the quietest card I've ever had.
Are those temperatures with the cards mining in an open air case?

I've had my hybrid pump die two times now.

I'm simply over dealing with it. Moving to air cooling.

Your own custom water cooler would last years! Hardly if ever hear someone say there pump died on a custom loop build.

My Swiftech is running for almost a decade and been through three systems. Crazy build quality.

hybrid.

I used a Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce 3 (triple fan) and it was extremely quiet and cool.

Currently using an EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW3 ICX and it is very quiet and cool. Honestly I can't hear the difference and not too toot my horn but I am a bit of a musician so my sense of hearing is kinda extremely picky.

Just a side note...

Gigabyte GTX 1070 RMA took 6 weeks.... (took place during Nov 2017)

EVGA GTX 970 RMA took 4 days. (Took place during Dec 2017)

OP I just got my memory running at 6500mhz (13000mhz effective). I gave it a +1000mhz offset in Afterburner (I maxed out the slider; never done that before).

This is on the EVGA GTX 1080 Ti hybrid card. This thing is outstanding. I have the core at a steady 2050mhz boost speed. I haven't tried for higher.

Back