EVGA DG-87 - Build Pics/Thoughts

AlphaQup

Gawd
EDIT: Post 11 contains finished build pics.

Hey everyone,

Just pulled the trigger on a new case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F84YK2486

Wondering if anyone here on the forums has experience with the EVGA chassis's? This is a first for me, been a long time CoolerMaster guy who's been let down (recently) the the latest Cosmos SE mid tower offering (loved the orignal Cosmos owned that for 4+ years). Claiming to fit ATX sized boards, yeah, technically... my SATA's and front USB's disagree though:

20181109_202254[1].jpg

No front USB's ain't cool.... (Yes, I felt horrible tweaking my SATA's down like that... Yes, I was careful to leave slack and not put downwards force on the SATA hub. USB 3.1 for the front is behind the video card, no room with that darn HDD cage running top to bottom)

Switching camps this time around, had great luck with the EVGA stuff in my sig so far, hoping the quality caries over to their case line.

Also, I suppose I should mention when it comes to cases, I always want something unique, which is why I chose it. Serves my needs for space/airflow, the amount of 3.5" HDD's are a huge plus since I hoard movies/pics/etc., and I love the positioning of the USB/front panel, fits my desk setup perfectly.

20181109_202836[1].jpg

So.... any one with any experience with these EVGA cases? I'd love to hear your positive/negative feedback. I do have high expectations for the pricetag, and will definitely update this thread with build pics/feedback.

I'll certainly post build pics as well, I love transplants

Thanks!

Last edited:
They have great air flow but big for no reason.
Hey everyone,

Just pulled the trigger on a new case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F84YK2486

Wondering if anyone here on the forums has experience with the EVGA chassis's? This is a first for me, been a long time CoolerMaster guy who's been let down (recently) the the latest Cosmos SE mid tower offering (loved the orignal Cosmos owned that for 4+ years). Claiming to fit ATX sized boards, yeah, technically... my SATA's and front USB's disagree though:

View attachment 118943

No front USB's ain't cool.... (Yes, I felt horrible tweaking my SATA's down like that... Yes, I was careful to leave slack and not put downwards force on the SATA hub. USB 3.1 for the front is behind the video card, no room with that darn HDD cage running top to bottom)

Switching camps this time around, had great luck with the EVGA stuff in my sig so far, hoping the quality caries over to their case line.

Also, I suppose I should mention when it comes to cases, I always want something unique, which is why I chose it. Serves my needs for space/airflow, the amount of 3.5" HDD's are a huge plus since I hoard movies/pics/etc., and I love the positioning of the USB/front panel, fits my desk setup perfectly.

View attachment 118944

So.... any one with any experience with these EVGA cases? I'd love to hear your positive/negative feedback. I do have high expectations for the pricetag, and will definitely update this thread with build pics/feedback.

I'll certainly post build pics as well, I love transplants

Thanks!

They have great air flow but big for no reason.

Big for no reason, can you elaborate? wasted space, or too much "cable management" room?

Great airflow is a big plus, want to try to shoot for 4.9/5GHz on the 7700k. Haven't messed with OC'ing past 4.8 to date.

Plus, I do eventually want to do a custom loop, will need res/pump space my current case definitely doesn't have.

this is the first thing that popped into my head when I first saw the case. I almost bought one 2 years ago too for my dual xeon, ended up getting an Air 740 and putting my dual xeon in my old Air 540.
evga-SONY.jpg

This was a photoshop mockup I did,
eVGA-DG-87-Intel Dual.jpg

i cant help with any personal experience but im sure there are plenty of people at the evga forums who have.

this is the first thing that popped into my head when I first saw the case.

Crap, now I can't unsee a 90's tube TV from the side... lol.

Good to hear it was in the running before going to the 740 though. I'm excited to build it in regardless, tired of working in a cramped case. Figured I'm no longer mobile with the machine, let's go big.

i cant help with any personal experience but im sure there are plenty of people at the evga forums who have.

Thanks for the note, I'll poke around there and see what others have said.

So the case was delivered last, and you were not kidding... this thing is massive! Was excited to start building it last night but...

I'm having issues with the front grill. I have a broken tab on the front lower right that holds the front of the grill flush with the side, and the push-click plunger type latch (really not sure what to call it) won't grab, so the front right side of the panel doesn't sit flush like the left side of the grill does :(

RMA request submitted last night and I already had a customer support rep contact me with 3-4 hours, waiting for an additional follow up.

Have pics at home of the damage, will post it up here. First time actually having to use EVGA's RMA/support after so many years of owning their products, heard nothing but good things about the process.

Will keep everyone posted.

EDIT: Pics of the slight damage:

20181113_172923.jpg 20181113_172929.jpg 20181113_173027.jpg 20181113_173037.jpg 20181113_173045.jpg 20181113_173054.jpg

It's very minor, but shoot, for the price I paid, want it to be perfect.

Everything else looks tip top btw. Flush as all get out.

Last edited:
So the case was delivered last, and you were not kidding... this thing is massive! Was excited to start building it last night but...

I'm having issues with the front grill. I have a broken tab on the front lower right that holds the front of the grill flush with the side, and the push-click plunger type latch (really not sure what to call it) won't grab, so the front right side of the panel doesn't sit flush like the left side of the grill does :(

RMA request submitted last night and I already had a customer support rep contact me with 3-4 hours, waiting for an additional follow up.

Have pics at home of the damage, will post it up here. First time actually having to use EVGA's RMA/support after so many years of owning their products, heard nothing but good things about the process.

Will keep everyone posted.

Yeah EVGA RMA process is top notch. Had replace a video card once and i went very smooth.

8pm CST: Just got off the phone with EVGA support after no email response today during business hours (called the 1888 number from the site), apparently a new front panel has already been shipped out to my home address as of early this AM and I didn't get the email with tracking info.

10pm CST: tracking number sent, should be here within a couple days. hopefully before the weekend.

Yeah EVGA RMA process is top notch. Had replace a video card once and i went very smooth.

No kidding, I'm amazed how quickly and easily this is going. Provided tons of pics and info up front and no further questions asked, replacement panel on the way. This is why I've been with them since my 8800GT :D

Last edited:
I'm a bit overdue for a follow up to this thread.

Ended up getting the replacement front panel on the 19th a believe, in perfect condition this time.

Did the chassis swap this last weekend, and overall I do love the case, but it's not without it's shortcomings.

Cons
- The top grill has 10 plastic pieces that snap into the top, and I had a hell of a time getting those to all line up. Ended up removing 4 of the posts in the center of the grill to get it snap together.
- The center mobo riser "peg" was put in cross threaded and needed to be backed out and re-positioned.
- Without dismanteling the back top and front sections, there is NOWHERE to actually pick this massive case up by. entire thing is surrounded by plastic and made moving it/assembly on my desk a huge PITA.
- The window'd panel fitment was difficult to line back up, it has a latch that drops the pegs the window swings on, 1 was misaligned and didn't fully depress, had to force it back in (no damage)
- Overall, the case plastic feels very sturdy, but I had to use an "uneasy feeling" amount of pressure to get some pieces to go back into place, I did have to get after a few panels to get them to reattach/realign.
- Would like to see a bit more QC going into a $250-$300 case.

Pros:
- HUGE! Tons of space, I never felt constrained or had to contort my hands building in this case. (moving it was a different story)
- Cable management was excellent in my opinion, tons of space in the back with organizers, almost all my wiring was able to go though these.
- TONS of SSD/Platter drive bays, I think in total I have 9-10 bays, with 6 in a cage-fashion behind the digital ambient temp display.
- Looks neat? bit subjective, but I dig it.
- 6 fans, plus 2 for my 280mm RAD. Currently have 6 (top and front) intake, and 2 exhaust out he back.
- CPU idles at 20*C or so, GREAT airflow in this case

On to the pics, let me know what ya think:

new1.jpg
new2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! It was definitely a fun Saturday + Sunday project. Still trying to get used to going back to one screen though from my old triple setup.

Thinking of getting one of those small travel/USB powered displays with the kickstand to go where my remotes are right now, just for monitoring/discord duties.

Audio clarity is also night and day, no longer having the speakers muttled by the 2 additional displays I used to run.

Back