EVGA Classified SR-2 (question)

Mauler87

Weaksauce
Hey Lads,

Didn't want to necro the SR-2 owner's thread so decided to post my own.

If anyone with previous experience with these boards could enlighten me on a couple of things I would be most appreciative.

1. I managed to land some cheap x5670's paired up ready for the board. Would these work fine with 12x4gb ecc 1333mhz sticks?.

2. I will be running an old nvidia card as this will only be a games server and not a gaming rig. This running alongside a 2-port pci-e raid0 card wouldn't overheat the chip-set would it? As I heard they're notorious for requiring water if multiple video cards are used and was unsure if a raid card could have the same effect.

3. I'll be running the cpu's under either dual corsair h80's or h115's, with a 1000w PSU, would this be enough juice at gold rating to reliably keep it running 24/7 for at least a year.

I only ask because I want to keep a gaming community happy and these boards made me squeal when I first saw them released. If needed I already have most of a loop ready if a custom loop is requred, bar the cpu blocks.

Cheers in advance for any feedback and input.

1. Look at the mobo CPU Support List

2. A raid card will hardly draw any power. If the nVidia card is also low power then you'll be fine.

3. 1000W will be overkill. Depending on the graphics card.

1. The general consensus seems to be that ECC OC's worse than non-ECC on the SR2, but it'll work fine.

2. I ran quad GTX480's on mine back in the day and the chipset was fine, you lose some clock headroom but even with the quad Fermi's it wasn't much.

3. The CPU's are about 200W each @4GHz, board probably 100W, RAM 3-5W a stick. You could get away with a 750 just fine.

Now, the real caveat - SR2's were never really stable, not even at stock. With relatively conservative BCLK you could get them to stay on reliably, but hardware compatibility was always a crapshoot and as you loaded the IOH down with expansion cards and disk activity weird things would start happening. They are also temperamental; I've worked on four different boards and each one had its own set of quirks, ranging from RAM compatibility issues (my latest one wouldn't boot with EVGA DDR3...) to just deciding to not turn on on certain days if the phases of the moon and direction of the wind were wrong.

Cheers for the replies guy.

If worse comes to worse I will buy 2 x58 boards but will do my best with this one.

Again thank you.

I had zero issues on mine but it was purchased later on in their lifecycle, had a very mature bios non ecc ram and overclocked a pair of L5639s from 2.13 to 3.0 GHz just fine. But i did hear horrific stories about these boards. You could very well use the onboard raid function no need for an additional card.

Back