EVGA Caught Sampling PSUs to Reviewers Not the Same as Retail

The 1 time I did buy an EVGA PSU was the G2 1300w PSU.....Because [H] reviewed it and it got a gold star. Was a damn good PSU too. Not sure you bought that retail or not Kyle, but its still going strong in my wifes PC.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/12/11/evga_supernova_1300_g2_1300w_power_supply_review/

Now I will be honest, I am not shocked to find EVGA doing shady business. But to be fair I bet there are a lot more companies that do this, and some reviews do not check *COUGH COOLERMASTER*.

The 1 time I did buy an EVGA PSU was the G2 1300w PSU.....Because [H] reviewed it and it got a gold star. Was a damn good PSU too. Not sure you bought that retail or not Kyle, but its still going strong in my wifes PC.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/12/11/evga_supernova_1300_g2_1300w_power_supply_review/

Now I will be honest, I am not shocked to find EVGA doing shady business. But to be fair I bet there are a lot more companies that do this, and some reviews do not check *COUGH COOLERMASTER*.

Yes, it was purchased at retail.

Cult of Seasonic here as well, even have a rep on here who almost never posts, sent him a PM about replacement cables and got a reply in like an hour. Was amazed.

Pretty shady deal, hope for their sake it's a bit overblown right now. I don't own any EVGA stuff in any machine tho.

As far as EVGA others not sampling [H], that just means they have something to hide in my opinion, because [H] will expose your flaws and not hide or sugar coat things to keep getting samples.

and EVGA now joins kingston and gigabyte on my blacklist... i dont forgive companies trying to chet thier customers

Reactions: blurp
like this
Playing devil's advocate here,
What countries were these EVGA PSUs sourced from (Johnnyguru vs Tom's)? I thought Tom's was in Europe/Germany or something?
Could it be that the PSU is made by manufacturer A for the 120V market and made by manufacturer B for the 240V market and given the same model name/number in both countries?
Not saying this is a great thing having two different manufacturers if the model name/number is the same, but if the specs are up to what's stated on the sticker, it could be what's going on.

It would be weird to make different PSU for differrent places. Unless its absolute crap psu'en. most just semi decent PSU'e accept both 120 and 240voltage... heck back in the days they used to have a switch to adjust the PSU for the input voltage.

in short: probably not

Not good if true. The power supplies for my gaming rigs in the past 6 years have been seasonic or evga. I've been happy with the G2 line from EVGA.

I like EVGA graphic cards, but I'll buy just about anything except Zotac if it's a decent deal. I like to keep it in the top 3 though... EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte.

I have used EVGA motherboards in the past, but we're talking about AM2 / Phenom 2 days. No real interest any more, do they still make motherboards? I like Asus, Gigabyte, and Asrock if I'm on the cheap or mobo bundle (microcenter).

EVGA is not even on my list when it comes to power supplies. Antec, Seasonic, Corsair (gold), and I've picked up a Thermaltake here and there without problems (but I've not tried to RMA them)

Oh and I know EVGA sells ram, but no thanks. Top 3 for me are Kingston, Corsair, and Patriot (in that order, and Patriot is only on the list because they are always on sale at Fry's). I'll buy Crucial if I'm in a pinch at Microcenter (just like Fry's with Patriot, MC likes to put Crucial on sale a lot)

Regardless of how this shakes out, I gave up on EVGA when they sent me back the same 970 that would artifact at stock clocks, much less the factory OC clocks.... TWICE. They were already "GPU only" at that point, but they'll never get another dime out of me.

I don't think they ever had a mobo that was more then adequate. And as far as PSUs go, it's whatever the sticker they slap on it says it is. While not much better then deliberate switching, I wouldn't be surprised if they switched vendors/models at or near the start of production to save a buck on each unit.

I'm a Seasonic fanboy, admittedly, but I do really like the Corsair RM850i in conjunction with the Link software on my game box. It would never run the fan if I didn't force it to (one of my intakes SS FT-03) so I can run positive pressure, and the internal build is very clean. Being able to graph power in and out of the power supply over time is just gravy.

Playing devil's advocate here,
What countries were these EVGA PSUs sourced from (Johnnyguru vs Tom's)? I thought Tom's was in Europe/Germany or something?
Could it be that the PSU is made by manufacturer A for the 120V market and made by manufacturer B for the 240V market and given the same model name/number in both countries?
Not saying this is a great thing having two different manufacturers if the model name/number is the same, but if the specs are up to what's stated on the sticker, it could be what's going on.
I was thinking something along the same lines but that doesn't make sense. I haven't looked at the articles but I'm sure both units have APFC which would mean full 100-240VAC / 50-60HZ input voltage range. I would suspect the reason this happened is just manufacturing costs. Not all that unusual.

I bought a evga based on a retail hardocp review. It lasted all but 5 months. The replacement they provided was a step up, a 1200 W P2 over a 1k P2. So far it has been good but compared to my Corsair 550 and 850W PSU it has a lot to live up to. Both still running well beyond the warranties 7 and 9 years and counting.

The H has my trust on reviews.

I'm another Seasonic fanboy... the X650 Gold in my SLI rig below was bought used from another [H]'er six, seven years ago? Still going strong, and given their track record, I'm not likely to stray.

But I also buy EVGA video cards. They've done right by me, even with some weird stuff, like when they changed the SLI connector spec on a new GTX970 revision, and I couldn't SLI two cards whose names differed only by a '+' on the end. Swapped the older model out for a newer one.

I've also had them make mistakes during an RMA process- and then correct them, responsively. I'd say they've earned my faith in that regard.

So, I'd like to see what they have to say about this review versus retail disparity with their PSU's before passing judgement; maybe an exec will get an early vacation and the issue will be corrected immediately.

you all know nobody will boycott evga..... their customer service too good lmao

their gpu at least

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-Lies-about-PSU-Reviews-H-Finds-m2718451.aspx

posted this on there forum. We'll see if it gets anywhere.

I like their GPU's, and my 1300G2 which [H] Gave a gold to is still going strong in my build.

But their Motherboards are terrible piles of shit of which I bought one P55 SLI and would NEVER push another of their motherboards on even my worst enemy. It was terrible and the bio's updates would only make the system worse.

Never-Ever again. This kind of makes me un-easy that they've done this. Next PSU will be a Seasonic..

I'm another Seasonic fanboy... the X650 Gold in my SLI rig below was bought used from another [H]'er six, seven years ago? Still going strong, and given their track record, I'm not likely to stray.

Sadly the whole Seasonic X series (and also the Corsair AX made by Seasonic) had the most unreliable fans i had in any PSU. Literally all three Seasonic X's and the single Corsair AX750 had noisy fans after few months of use.

But in case you want to be sure to have SuperFlower PSU, buy SuperFlower and not EVGA - at least in Europe.

Does EVGA make anything themselves.. if they don't make power supplies and just throw a company label on it made by a third party like Antec does. Does EVGA make video cards or is that someone else and they again throw a EVGA logo on it? Getting to be untrustful of some of these companies now.

From Seasonic warranty: "Damage resulting from ordinary use or normal wear and tear is not covered under Seasonic’s warranty terms." What does this actually mean? So 12 year warranty is a scam? This might be a deal killer for me. I heard about this from a Youtube video of a 650w focus review. If I am missing something please let me know. I love seasonic's quality but this warranty thing is a bit shady.

Last edited:
Here's the official reply I got on the forums from EVGA:
-----
“EVGA stands behind its full line of products, and the 5-Year Warranty on each B3 power supply demonstrates the confidence EVGA has in the quality and safety of each product shipped. If anyone has questions or concerns, please contact EVGA Customer Service and we are more than happy to assist. In the rare instance that a replacement unit is necessary, EVGA will support with a free Advanced RMA on all EVGA SuperNOVA B3 Power Supplies.

In addition, the EVGA SuperNOVA B3 review samples, as well as the production, were all built at the exact same qualified facility.”

Thanks,
EVGA
-----
https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2718405

Shockingly the internet may be full of misinformation:)

Last edited:
As far as EVGA cherry picking its samples sent to reveiwers, I have two words:

Sea

Sonic

Sadly the whole Seasonic X series (and also the Corsair AX made by Seasonic) had the most unreliable fans i had in any PSU. Literally all three Seasonic X's and the single Corsair AX750 had noisy fans after few months of use.

But in case you want to be sure to have SuperFlower PSU, buy SuperFlower and not EVGA - at least in Europe.

You are the FIRST person I have ever heard complain about the fans on the X series..I have built 35+ gaming rigs, all with Seasonic X650/750/850/1K and 3 with AX series 750 (or might be 760 can't remember but they were the AX models) and never had a single complaint, even when torture testing the rigs with a 48hr Prime95 loop and Haven on the GPU. Never had a single issue. Guess I am super lucky?

Here's the official reply I got on the forums from EVGA:
-----
“EVGA stands behind its full line of products, and the 5-Year Warranty on each B3 power supply demonstrates the confidence EVGA has in the quality and safety of each product shipped. If anyone has questions or concerns, please contact EVGA Customer Service and we are more than happy to assist. In the rare instance that a replacement unit is necessary, EVGA will support with a free Advanced RMA on all EVGA SuperNOVA B3 Power Supplies.

In addition, the EVGA SuperNOVA B3 review samples, as well as the production, were all built at the exact same qualified facility.”

Thanks,
EVGA
-----
https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2718405

Shockingly the internet may be full of misinformation:)

Or they could be lying..Wouldn't be the first time. I have spoken with OW several times in real life and have no reason to doubt anything he says.

Noise is not reliability. All fans make noise and ball bearing fans like the Sany Denki's in the X-Series trade a bit of performance and reliability for a bit of noise more so than the crappy sleeve bearing fans and other options in that era. That said those Sanyo Denki's were and are still very quiet fans.

Another + for the AX750 fan.
Mine is 6.5yrs old and I've never heard it.

Well time to ditch my EVGA PSU and buy a seasonic like I sould of done in the first place...

Or they could be lying..Wouldn't be the first time. I have spoken with OW several times in real life and have no reason to doubt anything he says.

yip, could be lying.
imo, can't see why that would benefit them, just opens them up to other problems. and would be kinda odd as i'm just some random poster on their forums (i.e. why reply at all?).
anyways, I've had luck with evga so i'm willing to give them more benefit of the doubt I suppose.

Hmm, does not make me happy, I went with an evga psu for this computer.

You are the FIRST person I have ever heard complain about the fans on the X series..I have built 35+ gaming rigs, all with Seasonic X650/750/850/1K and 3 with AX series 750 (or might be 760 can't remember but they were the AX models) and never had a single complaint, even when torture testing the rigs with a 48hr Prime95 loop and Haven on the GPU. Never had a single issue. Guess I am super lucky?

Noise is not reliability. All fans make noise and ball bearing fans like the Sany Denki's in the X-Series trade a bit of performance and reliability for a bit of noise more so than the crappy sleeve bearing fans and other options in that era. That said those Sanyo Denki's were and are still very quiet fans.

My typical computer use was on edge of semi-passive fan speed functionality. So the fans turned on and off a lot. While normal fan noise is something i can live with, the squeaking made by fan spinning up and off triggered me.
While i know it is not a reliability issue, a "quiet PSU" with a squeaky fan startup is not quiet in my books.

PS: It was exactly like the sound around the 24 second mark of this video :

Being high pitched, even at this very low volume it was very, very noticeable.

Apologies for wrong choice of word. What i meant to say was that they fans went from quiet to annoying within few months of use. I still use one of the Seasonic X PSU's - the fanless one.

i had bad experience with evga motherboards, they've been on my nogo list for quiet a while

In defense, my 1300 G2 is like... 3years old or so.

I cant hear it over my normal fans or my GPU's @ 100%

Motherboards again.. I wont ever buy. ASUS for me.. and that's a stretch to.

I haven't always had the best experience with SeaSonic. I purchased a Platinum 1200 that was very noisy, certainly not what I expected from the reviews I read and very different to my Platinum 1000. I ended up putting it in my server and replacing it with a Prime 1200 and Seasonic informed me that there was a soldering problem during manufacturing of the Platinum 1200 which prevented the fan from throttling properly.

I'm on my 4th AX860i. First was awesome for about 18 months and then began to squeal. 2 squealed out of the box at minimal load. 3 when under gaming load or anything above. 4's been awesome for about 2 years now. RMA to Canada sucks ass. Had to fight duty charges twice.

After the Afterburner/precision x debacle I thought EVGA couldn't surprise me anymore. Hah. I don't buy their products anymore. Always ended up dying or having issues. Psus are just one more. I actually need one now because my nearly 7 year old Corsair s long in the tooth and it makes a terrible buzzing under heavy gpu load and noise leaks into every line in the PC including audio(from said buzzing, to moving the mouse, to leaking into phone audio output if connected via USB.)

Wow, that's pretty shady of EVGA. I have 2x GTX 1060 video cards from EVGA and they're been ultra reliable. I've always thought their video cards were good but now I'll consider a different brand when I buy a GTX 1080 Ti.

As for PSU...get a Seasonic and look no further! I've been using them for over a decade and have no issues whatsoever. I really like their Platinum certified models.

Back