EVGA B-Stock 970 SC ACX 2.0, $249.99

StoleMyOwnCar

2[H]4U
Last edited:
And here I am still looking for another GTX 780 for SLI.

Great price. That is around what used prices are for the 970.

I think the B-Stock is the step up cards or EVGA refurbs, not sure it was mentioned on the sight.

If they have gave at least two years of warranty i'd bite on it.

Good grief why fool with SLI on 780 at this point? Kepler is falling farther behind with most new games and a single 980 Ti will be faster overall and has more vram. And SLI has issues regardless of what many SLI owners claim.

Good grief why fool with SLI on 780 at this point? Kepler is falling farther behind with most new games and a single 980 Ti will be faster overall and has more vram. And SLI has issues regardless of what many SLI owners claim.

Because buying a single 980 Ti costs 620-670$ whereas putting another 780 in costs about 200 +/- 50$ (though you can only really find them used). The performance in optimal conditions will be pretty similar (ie it's close to a sidegrade), and at 1440p I've never seen my VRAM actually limit me. That's too much of a price disparity to really go for a 980 Ti unless you have money to burn. Furthermore, of course SLI has some issues. I encountered them in FC4. However, they tend to get patched up eventually and for the most part I haven't noticed any horrendous issues. Even Shadowplay works just fine on my FC4 while I'm running it as fast as my 780's allow, and the scaling seems to work fine.

It's hit or miss, but SLI gets vilified way too much. Most of the time it works fine, and if you have the patience most outliers will work fine too (after some patches). Or you can just turn down settings and run on one GPU. For price vs performance, SLI usually beats any single card solution. Of course you have to be prepared to deal with issues.

As a fellow 780 owner my feelings are that after shelling out ~$650 for the 780, I'm not willing to do it again for a 980ti considering how poorly the 780 has aged. I either pick up another cheap 780 for SLI, or deal with a single 780 until the 980ti's are EOL'd for half price.

Has anybody purchased a 970 b-stock from EVGA? How was the coil whine? I'm just wondering if EVGA is trying to release all of the previous coil whine returns back to the wild. Or whether they did the right thing and took those units out of circulation.

(I bought an EVGA GTX 970 FTW when it first came out, and coil whine was incredible. Returned it for refund. Hope no one else gets that card via B-Stock.)

I think that's up to the retailer. I'm not sure if the business division of Staples would be sending game codes out with their GPU's. I've never used it.

I hope that they don't charge sales tax, though... if they do, almost half of that 20% promo is gone, and that would just put it back at MSRP since their prices are higher than MSRP by a fair margin.

Hell yeah I just picked one up. Thanks a ton OP!
BTW no sales tax in PA on this one.

Last edited:
I hope that they don't charge sales tax, though... if they do, almost half of that 20% promo is gone, and that would just put it back at MSRP since their prices are higher than MSRP by a fair margin.
If Quill is a Staples division, they will most definitely charge sales tax. In PA I'd be at about $21 sales tax (calculated pre coupon) so you end up at $305. That is still a decent deal but I got OPs linked card for $50 less all things considered.

If Quill is a Staples division, they will most definitely charge sales tax. In PA I'd be at about $21 sales tax (calculated pre coupon) so you end up at $305. That is still a decent deal but I got OPs linked card for $50 less all things considered.

You pay sales tax anyways at tax time via use tax, no?

OK, I bit. This is my first "B-stock" purchase.

I ran an EVGA B-stock X58 mobo essentially 24/7 (OC'd too) for over 4 years. Aside from the little VRM fan dying never had a problem with it.

[L]imey;1041772236 said:
Seriously... I've always been able to use mixed cards if it was the same card (780, 7970)

UGH. I have a new card coming I bought from a member here arriving tomorrow. If it's not compatible, I'm going to be sad.

This should be interesting. :p

[L]imey;1041772811 said:
Confirmed, incompatible card arriving tomorrow.

Now, to sell one of the cards so I can buy a compatible one... sigh.

If they are both EVGA cards, I'd suggest reaching out to EVGA support. They are fully aware of the different revisions not able to SLI and offered me a replacement that matched my original card.

If they are both EVGA cards, I'd suggest reaching out to EVGA support. They are fully aware of the different revisions not able to SLI and offered me a replacement that matched my original card.

Really? Wow that's impressive. I wonder if they'll make me the same offer since I bought one of the cards 2nd hand.

I don't need tri-sli. I don't need tri-sli. I don't need tri-sli. I don't need tri-sli.

I don't need tri-sli. I don't need tri-sli. I don't need tri-sli. I don't need tri-sli.
You don't want tri-sli. You don't want tri-sli. You don't want tri-sli. You don't want tri-sli.;)

Seriously the scaling is crap in most cases and you could even go backwards on performance depending on your exact settings and resolution in certain games.

4k gaming? I'll need a new motherboard though. So this probably isn't feasible anyway.

Has anybody purchased a 970 b-stock from EVGA? How was the coil whine? I'm just wondering if EVGA is trying to release all of the previous coil whine returns back to the wild. Or whether they did the right thing and took those units out of circulation.

(I bought an EVGA GTX 970 FTW when it first came out, and coil whine was incredible. Returned it for refund. Hope no one else gets that card via B-Stock.)

I bought one of these a day or so before this thread got started. I would have posted, but they went out of stock right away after I checked out.
Anyway, I got my card tonight. No coil whine as far as I can tell, but I just ran two Arkham Knight benchmark loops as a quick test.
It seems to run nice and cool too. I forgot to have cpu-z or something running as I did the benchmark so I could look at peak temps afterwards, but I got it open as quick as I could after the benchmark and the gpu was already down to 55C. Of course I had the side of the case off to listen for potential coil whine.
It's not loud either, so I'm pretty happy with the card so far.

If they did let you step up, you would have to pay the difference. Which means you would just end up paying more anyway to step up since this B-Stock card is cheaper. I guess you could ask if they would let you step up to a B-Stock instead. I mean they might let you do it, but since you're paying the difference your card would probably just go back on sale as a B-stock item and you'd really gain nothing from doing it.

You should probably just call them to ask either way.

I bought one of these a day or so before this thread got started. I would have posted, but they went out of stock right away after I checked out.
Anyway, I got my card tonight. No coil whine as far as I can tell, but I just ran two Arkham Knight benchmark loops as a quick test.
It seems to run nice and cool too. I forgot to have cpu-z or something running as I did the benchmark so I could look at peak temps afterwards, but I got it open as quick as I could after the benchmark and the gpu was already down to 55C. Of course I had the side of the case off to listen for potential coil whine.
It's not loud either, so I'm pretty happy with the card so far.

I may have spoke too soon. After I posted last night I updated WEI and I heard some squealing and funny noises. Of course that's just some internal windows thing and not a game or application.

If they did let you step up, you would have to pay the difference. Which means you would just end up paying more anyway to step up since this B-Stock card is cheaper. I guess you could ask if they would let you step up to a B-Stock instead. I mean they might let you do it, but since you're paying the difference your card would probably just go back on sale as a B-stock item and you'd really gain nothing from doing it.

You should probably just call them to ask either way.

I was thinking maybe get one as a stop gap card, and then get something else in 3 months, if new cards come out. But it would have to be something after 980 ti, or I might as well just buy one of those now, but I dont like the coolers EVGA is using right now...

I probably wont get anything, once again... Even though I'm itching for an upgrade, but nothing is looking, "perfect" at the moment... at least, not to spend $600+ on...

Like everyone else said another 780 is like $200 and will give me same or better performance than a 980 Ti.

I've had SLI 780's for awhile before and with GSYNC performance and gameplay was fantastic.

Like everyone else said another 780 is like $200 and will give me same or better performance than a 980 Ti.

I've had SLI 780's for awhile before and with GSYNC performance and gameplay was fantastic.
Compare an oced 980 Ti to an oced 780 and the 980 Ti is more than twice as fast overall. In some of the newer games the gap is getting bigger and bigger. Last time I checked SLI did not scale even remotely close to 100% so I dont see it getting better performance than a single 980 Ti.

Back