evga b stock 970 gtx 259 , 980 369

Worth paying $70 more for a B-stock GTX 980 over a brand new GTX 970 from Newegg with a free game (that I'm not really interested in)?

I would, because of

1) VRAM funny business with the GTX 970s's 3.5+0.5 GB issues (can be an issue if you're using high levels of DSR or have a 3840x1440/4k monitor). I'm running Fallout 4 on a 2560x1600 monitor w/everything turned up except God Rays on Low and am using Reshade + TAA, and my VRAM usage, as per MSI Afterburner, is consistently from the high 2GB to mid 3GB range; usually around 3.2GB, but with some spikes to 3.5GB.

2) You can OC a stock GTX 980 to near stock GTX 980Ti levels in most cases (most overclocks usually hit about 5-10% short on average). I have a near-stock MSI GTX 980 that is by no means a good overclocker (rather plain non-stock blower cooler) but it still hits mid 1400s w/GPU boost on air.

Playing around with the 04G-P4-3978-RX I bought from the recent restock on the b-stock. Seems solid. Just a bit of coil whine. Really more of a coil click. Not too bad, and not really noticeable through the case or over the fans. If I were more OCD, I might try to return it. But for the price/performance, I can probably live with it.

How do their returns work for these?

My friend just bought one and got the shaft.

"it's crashing. Freezing the whole computer. Artifacting during heaven and displaying green lines on the desktop and even rainbow colored the whole desktop"

How do their returns work for these?

Well, your friend probably got shown agreed to whatever return policy they have when he was purchasing the card. As it states on every single item on the B Stock page, there's a one year warranty on the B Stock items.

Yeah, idk what they showed him but he got royally fucked.

He has to pay a 15% restocking fee. To return a defected item lol.

That's BS. I'll never buy one of these from Evga.

Edit: and he has to pay for shipping. I'd throw a fit if that were me and or file a complaint with the BBB

You almost always have to pay return shipping. However, the restocking fee is usually only applied when you return a working product, not a defective one. He should raise hell about that and I think if he really tries then he will get that waived.

You almost always have to pay return shipping. However, the restocking fee is usually only applied when you return a working product, not a defective one. He should raise hell about that and I think if he really tries then he will get that waived.

That's what I told him. I'm just saying what he told me. Don't know all the details.

I mean the card works, as in turns on but in my first post you can see what happens.

My friend believes the card was previously over volted and that's what's wrong with it.

Yeah I wouldn't consider those problems as being something that applies to a "working" card.

Why not just RMA it for a replacement?

Idk. He's just mad I think.

What if they don't have another Bstock? My guess is they'll downgrade him a new card vs. upgrade.

Idk, don't know all the details was just posting as kind of like a beware you might get screwed trying to save a buck on a B stock.

I'm sure this is a rare case but you'd like to think a company like Evga would value customers and do everything they can to make good vs. bending you over.

I don't think they're legally allowed to downgrade you for returns due to fault of object.

I'm going to bump this to say that B-Stock is having some nice sales. I got something in the email from them. They're selling the 980 Ti classy for 599 for instance. Don't know if too many of them are left. I'm actually considering the Titan X, actually...

Back