EVGA Announces their Ampere cards

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Who thinks this is actually a really nice looking card?

I think this is the one I am going to get. I have always liked EVGA.

Thoughts?

link: EVGA RTX 30 series announced

1599003620967.png

I think it is too much of a departure from their previous branding. Maybe it is just the rainbow throwing me off in that render, but I think it looks kinda ugly. If I buy EVGA I'll buy one of their XC3 models.
1599004898496.png

One disappointing thing for me for this gen of cards - no USB-C output anymore. Anyone knows why?

I like it but it's gonna be a heat dumper everything in your case is gonna know it's there. Give me a plain jane and I'll get a waterblock.

One disappointing thing for me for this gen of cards - no USB-C output anymore. Anyone knows why?
Hey, you're right. I would assume that it's because they didn't have space on the board. I spent a bit of time repairing an RTX 2080 that had had a choke ripped off, and one thing I noticed while I was working on it is that there actually is a section of the board dedicated to just the USB port, and it's bigger than you'd think. These new cards appear to be super densely populated, and there probably just isn't space for it.

I actually will miss that - I'm using that 2080 I repaired in the machine I'm typing this post on, and I actually do have something plugged into it.

I don't really love the physical design of any of the cards I've seen this round, but I'm sure I'll learn to like it once the benchmarks are available.

Wow. Excited for all these cards. Just need a 3090 that fits in my NZXT H210i

The FTW3 is about the same size as my current 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, so I guess I am ok. Did not see if it needs 3 8-pin connectors or just two, but might be better with the extra plug regardless.

Hey, you're right. I would assume that it's because they didn't have space on the board. I spent a bit of time repairing an RTX 2080 that had had a choke ripped off, and one thing I noticed while I was working on it is that there actually is a section of the board dedicated to just the USB port, and it's bigger than you'd think. These new cards appear to be super densely populated, and there probably just isn't space for it.

I actually will miss that - I'm using that 2080 I repaired in the machine I'm typing this post on, and I actually do have something plugged into it.

I don't really love the physical design of any of the cards I've seen this round, but I'm sure I'll learn to like it once the benchmarks are available.

You are probably right that it could a space concern. I have my LG monitor plugged into the USB-C port. Guess I will use the displayport then. Not a big deal but my LG has 4 input rated for 4k 60Hz and currently I have 3 PCs plugged in.

Evga has been my go to gpu brand for a number of years now. That being said I'm not a big fan of the looks of the coolers on the ftw3 cards, the offset middle fan messes with me.

Then EVGA logos on the fans need to go. Worst aesthetic design feature of the last few generations.

Looks decent. At least it's 2 slots, I think I could swing it in my case.

Not sure I have space for an AIO but I will double check.

probably cost.. USB-C is expensive to implement and tbh was a super niche feature.

my only take away from the fan shroud design in the first post is that they're trying way too hard to create a design that works better with vertical mounted gpu cases. sure the waves might allow slightly better airflow but how about just force case manufactures to actually put the damn mount in the correct spot instead.

Also here is what i have collected from the EVGA forums so far.
  • Currently no pre-order planned. Similarly, no pricing is available at this time.
  • Like the US store, we cannot generally comment on availability at this time for the EU store. Availability, however, will not be any sooner than the dates NVIDIA mentioned for each GPU.
  • HYBRID, HC, and KPE cards will come a bit later than the XC3 and FTW3 cards. No ETA to give you, which is probably your next question.
  • HYBRIDs will be 240mm, except for KPE HYBRID, whch will be 360mm. No plans for a 120mm HYBRID at this time.
  • HYBRIDs will be 2 Slot.
  • XC3 cards will all be 2.2 slots. Length is 11.23in. - 285.37mm / Height is 4.38in. - 111.15 mm.
  • FTW3 cards will be 2.75 slots. Length is 11.81in. - 300mm / Height is 5.38in. - 136.75mm.
  • There will be an EVGA NVLINK. No ETA at this time.
  • Since I've seen this mentioned incorrectly, all cards are 3 DisplayPort, 1 HDMI.
  • PowerLink is expected to work with the XC3 models. For obvious reasons, it will not work with the 3090/3080 FTW3 cards due to the number of PCIe power connectors. Either way, we will have the compatibility list updated when the cards are available on the website.
  • Step-Up will begin when cards are available. Products will not be listed prior to general availability. I would expect one of the XC3 models will be listed for availability, but we will make that decision prior to general availability.
  • I'm not sure why people assume bots are buying cards over regular people. It was a popular reason for why 20-Series cards were always out of stock, which completely ignored literal supply and demand issues (lots of people wanted them, but there weren't many initially). Yes, there are per person quantity caps for each card. Yes, we require captcha to login, which is also required to create a profile. This should help to comfort some of you.

That USB-C port probably added a solid $50 to the cards and it’s something very few probably use. $499 launch price is much nicer to post up than $549. This round will be all about what can be trimmed to keep costs low, dense PCB’s, no phase doublers, no USB and some interesting power delivery systems. I really want to see a breakdown and in-depth analysis of these cards.

I'm aiming for a 3080 EVGA FTW I doubt I'll see one is stock this year.
Less weight hanging off the MB and my PSU is only 750 watts
I might use my MB support bracket that was included on my Bitfenix Shogun.

Not a fan of RGB. EVGA is great for their step up program and warranty though. I always wait for noise tests to come out before I pick my card. My case cools well so I really only care about the card not having annoying LEDs and making little noise.

Not a fan of RGB. EVGA is great for their step up program and warranty though. I always wait for noise tests to come out before I pick my card. My case cools well so I really only care about the card not having annoying LEDs and making little noise.

How does stepup work? Do I need to buy into it when I first get a card?

From what I understand you have to register the card pretty much when you get it, and then you get 90 days where you are eligible for the Step-Up program. So if a new 3080 Ti comes out 91 days after, you are SOL.

‘You get 90 days after you purchase a card from an authorized retailer or EVGA themselves where they will allow you to upgrade to a higher up card by just paying the difference between what you paid and EVGAs listed price for the higher card. Gives you a little piece of mind around product launches and such.

You buy a card from one of the accepted stores. Then you will need to register the card. Once you have done that you have 90 days to step-up to another card. Then you will only have to pay the difference between what you paid for your card, and the card you want to step-up too.

This is how I got my 1080ti for a whole $50 when stepping up from a 1080. Gotta love those mining card prices back in the day ;)

You buy a card from one of the accepted stores. Then you will need to register the card. Once you have done that you have 90 days to step-up to another card. Then you will only have to pay the difference between what you paid for your card, and the card you want to step-up too.

This is how I got my 1080ti for a whole $50 when stepping up from a 1080. Gotta love those mining card prices back in the day ;)

Oh that makes sense. So you would buy a 3080 now and if you want a 3090 you pay the difference and send then the 3080 they send you a 3090.

So its not generational, its same family stepup within 90 days.

So example...

I buy a 3090 and I can trade my 2080ti in to evga and they give me a refund of the difference?

‘Never any refunds. If you bought a 2080ti from EVGA recently you could step up to a 3080 and it wouldn’t cost you anything since it’s a lower priced part. You’d just have to pay shipping.

‘Never any refunds. If you bought a 2080ti from EVGA recently you could step up to a 3080 and it wouldn’t cost you anything since it’s a lower priced part. You’d just have to pay shipping.

Yeah if the 2080ti was purchased within 90 days of the 3080 right? It cant be like 2 years ago.

If so thats a sweet deal. More reason to get a 3080 now and a 3090 in a few weeks or months when really available.

Yeah if the 2080ti was purchased within 90 days of the 3080 right? It cant be like 2 years ago.

If so thats a sweet deal. More reason to get a 3080 now and a 3090 in a few weeks or months when really available.

Exactly, so if you bought a brand new 2080 super for lets say $699, you can step-up in 90 days to the 3080 for free (pay shipping). The only thing is usually its the reference/base EVGA model. So that is something to think about.

Glad to hear you got the 2080 back up and running :)

I also will miss the USB-C port. I never actually used it on the 2080 series, but when I upgrade monitors I was hoping to have keyboard & mouse plugged into the monitor and connected through the USB-C port. Easier to switch between work laptop and home desktop that way.

Back