EVGA Announces their Ampere cards

• HYBRID, HC, and KPE cards will come a bit later than the XC3 and FTW3 cards. No ETA to give you, which is probably your next question.
An update on this:
1599078036048.png

Glad to hear you got the 2080 back up and running :)

I also will miss the USB-C port. I never actually used it on the 2080 series, but when I upgrade monitors I was hoping to have keyboard & mouse plugged into the monitor and connected through the USB-C port. Easier to switch between work laptop and home desktop that way.
Yeah, I keep meaning to make a thread about it, but I'm way out of sync with posting those. The physical repair was pretty easy once I managed to get the right part, all the way from the factory nvidia bought them from in Shenzhen. I haven't been able to fix the boost logic yet, but it actually works pretty well for me as-is, since I'm not using it for games.

As an aside, you did a shockingly good job packing it, when you shipped it to me.

As I don't really care about a card's appearance/fans/RGB/batmobile design aesthetic (I tend to strip everything off the card as soon as I get it anyway and slap an EK full waterblock on it), I'm thinking a 3090 Nvidia FE reference board will do me just fine. And paying the premium for a KPE seems silly unless you are farting around with liquid nitrogen and chasing benchmark leaderboards and are also willing to go through the silicon lottery by buying several to find a golden one.

I think the safest bet if you really want to watercool soon is to get an Nvidia FE upon release and then slap on an EK waterblock. Otherwise you'll probably end up waiting until next year for EVGA to start producing sufficient inventory.

I always wondered why you should get those Kingpin or Lightning versions and pay 25% more. IMO not worth it at all. These cards are still subject to the silicon lottery.
Quieter fans at idle mostly. I bought my wind force card because it’s dead silent unless I was gaming.

I always wondered why you should get those Kingpin or Lightning versions and pay 25% more. IMO not worth it at all. These cards are still subject to the silicon lottery.
They're absolutely worth it if the game you play is 3DMark. Especially the Kingpin model offers a lot of extra features that are useful if you're using sub-ambient cooling like liquid nitrogen or chilled water.

But for the typical gamer, you're not really getting any value for the extra $500+ you spend on them, unless you just like the way they look.

The post wasnt just in reference to KP. It was also indication that Hydro Copper and Hybrid cards as well.

Kingpin cards feature a binned GPU and the power delivery is beefy enough to handle anything the GPU can do. Along with several other features like best in class cooler, voltage and temp breakout, and custom BIOS, etc
If you arent overclocking a graphics card then no its not worth it.

For me, I will put the card on water and OC it. The only other reason is because i have the Kingpin motherboard and decided that i want the graphics card to match it. Once i have the card i can complete my loop and Kingpin build/theme.

Exactly, so if you bought a brand new 2080 super for lets say $699, you can step-up in 90 days to the 3080 for free (pay shipping). The only thing is usually its the reference/base EVGA model. So that is something to think about.

If I bought a 2060 today and wanted to step up to a 3080, how much would it run me? I paid 329$ plus tax for my 2060 KO ULTRA at Microcenter on the 10th of August.

If I bought a 2060 today and wanted to step up to a 3080, how much would it run me? I paid 329$ plus tax for my 2060 KO ULTRA at Microcenter on the 10th of August.

$370 plus tax and shipping. Make sure to register the card with EVGA.

Kingpins are hand picked and hand tested and they must pass very stringent expectations. They are not subject to any lottery. They are hand raised from the egg.

EVGA was once again so close but missed the mark imo.

Red accents on an RGB focused card?
A cooler without tabs would be great for deshrouding, then added heatsinks that hang over the edges...
A watercooled card with single slot IO, that isn't single slot.... seriously, what the heck. Threadripper motherboards are a thing, give us single slot cards if it's already single slot IO...

Personally the cards don't look great, but I thought that about their clear plastic 20 series cards... and yet after everyone else released their stuff the EVGA cards surprisingly didn't look nearly as bad as everyone else's... EVGA still has the best warranty, so I'll be considering these if I don't go for the founders edition...

3 x 8 pin, yikes, that's enough to scare most PSUs.

I think if one is into Kingpin, you already have a minimum of 750 watts or above PSU. I see most people over buy the PSU anyway so this should all work out.

3 x 8 pin, yikes, that's enough to scare most PSUs.

Interestingly, Asus stated that their 3x8-pin cards bypass the 75W PCI-E power. Evga posted on Twitter that this card uses the 3x8-Pin's AND still draws 75W from the motherboard. Going to want a beefy PSU with this one.

One disappointing thing for me for this gen of cards - no USB-C output anymore. Anyone knows why?

This is disappointing to me as well. I was looking forward to buying a new card that would support the 6th input on my LG monitor that is USB C . Granted most people don't have 6 computers hooked up to a single screen so i get it :D

This is disappointing to me as well. I was looking forward to buying a new card that would support the 6th input on my LG monitor that is USB C . Granted most people don't have 6 computers hooked up to a single screen so i get it :D
snag a deal on a 2080 Ti then?

I think if one is into Kingpin, you already have a minimum of 750 watts or above PSU. I see most people over buy the PSU anyway so this should all work out.

Wow I just checked and my PSU is a 10 year old Corsair 750w 80 PLUS GOLD that I got for $140. Looking at prices now it seems nothing has changed in 10 years on the PSU front.

I clearly didn't need 750w 10 years ago so would agree that people tend to over buy.

Wow I just checked and my PSU is a 10 year old Corsair 750w 80 PLUS GOLD that I got for $140. Looking at prices now it seems nothing has changed in 10 years on the PSU front.

I clearly didn't need 750w 10 years ago so would agree that people tend to over buy.

A 750W PSU from Corsair should be fine. Which one is it? The AX750?

This is the one I am heavily eyeballing ... like hardcore eyeballing

View attachment 275503

Still takes up two slots and no extra video port. If it is for sure going to block two slots may as well get one that has an extra HDMI 2.1 port or something.

I wonder if it will have a cooled back plate?

I’m guessing $1999.00 for the privilege of having them install the water black and keeping the original cooler.

I’ve always water blocked my own.

It seems like there is a fairly hefty mark up on factory water blocked cards. Paying $600-$1500 for a card that should be a few hundred is bad enough and then to pay $200+ for a $50 water block is not cool. :)

Some are not installed very well.

You can’t pick and choose the water block you want.

You can test your block for leaks before or after you get the card.

It’s nice to have the original fan for backup or to sell the card latter.

Interestingly, Asus stated that their 3x8-pin cards bypass the 75W PCI-E power. Evga posted on Twitter that this card uses the 3x8-Pin's AND still draws 75W from the motherboard. Going to want a beefy PSU with this one.

Lol damn, I might have to replace my aging ax1200i sooner than later.

Lol damn, I might have to replace my aging ax1200i sooner than later.

Could always put in an RMA claim stating the PSU can't hold voltages properly anymore and get a new one. If I remember right those PSU's have a 10 year warranty.

Other then that, the AX1200i should be just fine for it.

Still takes up two slots and no extra video port. If it is for sure going to block two slots may as well get one that has an extra HDMI 2.1 port or something.

I wonder if it will have a cooled back plate?

I’m guessing $1999.00 for the privilege of having them install the water black and keeping the original cooler.

I’ve always water blocked my own.

It seems like there is a fairly hefty mark up on factory water blocked cards. Paying $600-$1500 for a card that should be a few hundred is bad enough and then to pay $200+ for a $50 water block is not cool. :)

Some are not installed very well.

You can’t pick and choose the water block you want.

You can test your block for leaks before or after you get the card.

It’s nice to have the original fan for backup or to sell the card latter.

Yeah, well the extra hdmi port is useful to select few. I could care less about it. I use display port and I only have a 4k 60hz quantum dot so im good. I dont use my PC on my TV anyways.

I doubt its gonna be 1999.00. Probably 1599. Still way too damn high.

Eyeballing it doesnt mean im gonna buy it. Just means it looks sweet. Im almoat certain ill get a reference card design with fans and add a Byski block or somwthing to it. Maybe a Corsair Hydro Series. Not sure.

Could always put in an RMA claim stating the PSU can't hold voltages properly anymore and get a new one. If I remember right those PSU's have a 10 year warranty.

Other then that, the AX1200i should be just fine for it.

Ax1200inshould run these cards while sleeping. Nothing for that PSU. Not even a load hardly. I run my ax1200i on us 240vt. It will last much longer than 120v. When I buily my basement out I added 4 240v sockets down there in the computer room for versatility.

Ax1200inshould run these cards while sleeping. Nothing for that PSU. Not even a load hardly. I run my ax1200i on us 240vt. It will last much longer than 120v. When I buily my basement out I added 4 240v sockets down there in the computer room for versatility.
what do you use for surge suppression? I have a 240v 20A circuit going unused.

what do you use for surge suppression? I have a 240v 20A circuit going unused.

Sorry for typos. Firefox update on my phone made typo corrections much harder.

Anyways I use a UPS. Lots of 240v ups out there. Also you can order a european 240v surge strip from Amazon and chop the plug off and put whatever your home socket uses. Probably nm6-15.

Funny how people gave Nvidia shit for the new 12-pin connector, and here you could technically end up using 4x pcie connectors on one card.
The 15 pin is better tbh. More power, safer, and smaller footprint. They are shipping adapters with the cards that have 15 pin.

Honestly i think it just came down to:
People dont like what they dont know.
People dont like change.

The 15 pin is better tbh. More power, safer, and smaller footprint. They are shipping adapters with the cards that have 15 pin.

Honestly i think it just came down to:
People dont like what they dont know.
People dont like change.

There are 15-pin cards? First I've heard of it, got any more details?

I get not liking change, but change is the reason we're not using gigantic 4-pin molex connectors anymore. Every time there has been a change, adapters were provided for years to come, any enthusiast ended up with piles of them. It's never been a problem before. The ONLY reason I think it's a problem now is we're into a new era of PC building where looks are paramount. RGB all the things, sleeve every cable individually, meticulously formed WC loops, etc. People are upset because an adapter doesn't fit their ascetic (same reason people are upset that the FE cards have a power connector coming out the middle). IMO, it's pretty silly to try and hold back innovation because you care more about vanity, but maybe I feel that way because I started building computers when everything was a sea of ugly green PCBs and brightly colored wires all over the place. I learned early on that I care about more about how my PC performs than how it looks. I don't think it will be long before we see a flood of "pretty" adapters (Nvidia's 12-pin connector is not proprietary, ya'll can buy one on Amazon right now and get to work on your own adapter), and people won't care anymore.

There are 15-pin cards? First I've heard of it, got any more details?

I get not liking change, but change is the reason we're not using gigantic 4-pin molex connectors anymore. Every time there has been a change, adapters were provided for years to come, any enthusiast ended up with piles of them. It's never been a problem before. The ONLY reason I think it's a problem now is we're into a new era of PC building where looks are paramount. RGB all the things, sleeve every cable individually, meticulously formed WC loops, etc. People are upset because an adapter doesn't fit their ascetic (same reason people are upset that the FE cards have a power connector coming out the middle). IMO, it's pretty silly to try and hold back innovation because you care more about vanity, but maybe I feel that way because I started building computers when everything was a sea of ugly green PCBs and brightly colored wires all over the place. I learned early on that I care about more about how my PC performs than how it looks. I don't think it will be long before we see a flood of "pretty" adapters (Nvidia's 12-pin connector is not proprietary, ya'll can buy one on Amazon right now and get to work on your own adapter), and people won't care anymore.
FE cards are 12pin.

Edit sorry ive been saying 15 pin and meant 12 pin the whole time.

A 750W PSU from Corsair should be fine. Which one is it? The AX750?
I guess you missed the part about it being 10 years old? He got his money's worth out of that PSU and it's time to move on if he's going to get a GPU that is extremely power hungry.

Back