eVGA ACS³ Arrives:

mluke245 said:
Am I the only one that HATES when manufacturers plaster their name/insignia all over the damn product? :rolleyes:

I swear....baby jesus cries....

In the video card arena, this is the only way they have to differentiate or brand their product considering the complex card designs that are now being used. eVGA gets extra points for being able to even bring something orginal to market. Of course if it is worth the cash is another story.

jAkUp said:
if you guys hadn't seen it yet. Some early benchmarks, and pictures of the internals:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54682

A guy who replied to that review said that software overclocking doesn't void your warranty.... fools. They also said that it can't be enforced.... which is easy, as all nVidia has to do is check what clockspeed the card was running at when it was fried, which is stored in the BIOS... fools.

ShaolinDragon said:
which is easy, as all nVidia has to do is check what clockspeed the card was running at when it was fried, which is stored in the BIOS... fools.
....since when?

Take your arguement to another thread and keep this one someone on topic please.

mluke245 said:
Am I the only one that HATES when manufacturers plaster their name/insignia all over the damn product? :rolleyes:
I swear....baby jesus cries....

Don't turn around and look at the Thermaltake hardware then :p

It is a sexy card, no doubt. But the cooling is kinda blah according to that NVNews link. Cant wait for the review :)

GodSpeed said:
Don't turn around and look at the Thermaltake hardware then :p

:eek: My eyes are forever burned! :p

I counted about 84 brand badges ALL over that card. This includes all the partial "E" insignias, from all views and also adding 13 more in because there is no top view, and their full "EVGA" insignias :rolleyes:

This isn't too off topic is it??

Glad to see you finally got a card to review Klye. I think it has a unique design in that it cover the whole card and is plain black. Most other top end video cards are colorful and have pictures on them. I like the simple design. However, it doesn't seem that it would give performance gains that would justify the higher price.

The new version is the same price as their original 7800 which is now 50.00 cheaper. I'm not sure what the gnashing of teeth is over? Its all marketing and hype and 50.00 is nothing to get bent over.

I think that card looks and most likely performs good, i would be getting it if i wasnt waiting for the next round of cards to build a new system. ive always bought evga though... they've never done me wrong

For one, I think the price issue is being beaten like a dead horse.
There is as little as $35 dollars difference for the ACS3 cooling and lifetime warranted clock speeds of 490/1300, and thats compared to EVGA's own 7800GTX. Compare it to BFG's price and the difference is less Dell Business has the lowest price of $533.60 on www.pricegrabber.com and the difference is only around $26 for the higher clocked EVGA card.
Now compare the price to XFX's 7800GTX @ 490/1300 the difference is only around $11 (NewEgg at $549 ) but only has 2 year warranty, so $11 extra for Lifetime Warranty and Step-Up Program is not much extra to pay at all.

The 7800GTX KO Edition with ACS3 is selling from $560 (linked proof below)
Monarch Computer
NewEgg
ZipZoomFly
Clubit

Regardless of the results, the price difference is of little consequence and should not really be an issue.

Someone needs to remove the statement under my username as it is false, I am not Joe Darwin from EVGA.

It does look good. For those that have windows to see inside their case (and who have stuck with a color/style theme), I think these cards would look fantastic. The stock speeds are also nice. I guess it could be worth paying a little extra for. I just wouldn't do it, especially when other manufacturers are also shipping cards that are factory overclocked.

Personally, I don't want to see the inside of my machine. When I purchase components, it's generally because I'm buying the best component I can within a certain budget, or components that are for a specific purpose. That means I have bright green heatsinks on my memory, a big blue passive heatsink on my chipset, a black motherboard, and a standard PCB green video card. It aint pretty, but I'm happy with it because it's all inside a (IMHO) beautiful Sonata case without a window. Why anyone would actually pay money to put lights in their computers or for fancy looking coolers on their video cards, when they could have used the money to buy better memory or a better hard drive is beyond me.

As for the Lifetime vs 2 Year Warranty, I don't think I've EVER had a video card for more than two years, and the Lifetime Warranty is for the original purchaser only. As far as I'm concerned, the LT Warranty is mostly (though admittedly not entirely) a marketing gimmick.

I'm not at all thinking that metal shroud is a good thing. The resistance pressure from not having a clear exit chamber for the air (sorry little slits in a metal surface don't cut it), is probably going to lower the effectiveness of the fan. I think they made up for this by using a copper cored cooler. Imo, just using a copper cooling core on the stock card would have yielded equal or quite probably better results. I think the metal cage is a looks thing, and taking it off and replacing with the regular cover would do better.

I doubt it will be long before the other manufacturers manage to come out with copper cooling core solutions themselves. XFX has already proven even that isn't necessary. Anand pointed out there are crossing lines with this core in which little benefit happens before crossing a certain clock point. This is most likely due to the multiple clock rates within the core and the likelihood that some other internals don't change till the primary clock crosses a certain point. 473 iirc is one point and 500 is another. Thus since all the cards in the performance class (450 and above) can reach the 473, the real question is whether they can reach 500 reliably. It seems the XFX can do this on stock cooling. If so, then a copper core cooler might just keep things a bit cooler or might not. But the real quality issue is going to be the quality of the core and the ability to survive @ 500. That puts you beyond warranty with BFG, XFX and EVGA, so spend wisely. Most tests show these 3 in their normal varieties could clock to about 489-490 but not above. I think you stand a better chance with the 490 clocked chips to get to 500, but I'm not super confident everyone will be able to do it. As mentioned above, the aftermarket coolers may do a better job. I tend to prefer a good vendor copper cooler solution and a strong outside airflow on the card.

Have to see how Kyle does!

$.02

I believe the biggest fault of the cooler lies in the extremely small size of the fan.

I think they just got fed up with people "copying" them and decided to make some other "revolutionary" thing and patent it. Who cares if it doesnt perform at least they got a patent. :rolleyes: But, since my video card isn't what causes most of the heat in my computer I could care less. Hell, I've already got a black metal thing surrounding all my components! And fans that push air out the back! :eek:

-Cheezus Crust

chrisf6969 said:
LMAO :D :p :eek:

When's the review of ACS3 coming ???

Tons of family in town this weekend. Son's birthday. Son's first day of school. Quakecon this week. You do the math. ;)

I realy understand that You have no time Kyle.

So send it to me I would be glad to test it out for Ya :)

BTW Happy B-day to Your son. Allready at school? It seams like yesterday Your wife was pregnant and You've almost gave up [H]ardForum :)

MD

On ACS3 thing....makes me sad I got an eVGA and not another brand of 7800GTX.

Happy birthday to the boy!

School starts early! All grades start here Aug 29th.

Kevl4R said:
On ACS3 thing....makes me sad I got an eVGA and not another brand of 7800GTX.
I think you can use their step-up program to "upgrade" to something better within 3 months of purchase...or something like that. :confused:

the eVGA cooler looks nice. according to jakup's measurements, it runs about 1 degree cooler than the stock cooler even though it is running with 40mhz faster core and 100mhz faster memory.

It'd be interesting to see how it performs with the shroud off compaired to attached.

Zombie said:
It'd be interesting to see how it performs with the shroud off compaired to attached.

That would be funny. Don't you hate it when you get a product and have to remove something or modify something to get it to preform better? Makes me wonder about the R&D that goes into these things.

Well Asus didn't invented a hot water but atleast they use good cooling for their card. Cooling that is silent and preforms very very good.

Allthough I'll wait to se Kyle results, some early results seen in some reviews on other places show ASC3 cools same and in some cases 1 deg C better then stock cooler. Stock cooler uses Aluminum heatsink. eVga Patented revolutionary blahs blahs though super sexy looking HSF uses copper heatsink. Wait if it's thru that it cools just 1 deg C better and uses copper heatsink couild it be that it should prefform much better with a copper heatsink? Could it be that preformance is affected from a cover? Could it be worth extra cache if it cools almost same as stock cooler? Is it realy revolutionary design that asks for patent pending?

I bett my ass on that ASUS with a AC Silencer cooling solution cools better and makes much less noise dooig it.

So link was about cooling potential and marketing. Asus doesn't bitch about their cooling. They bitch about beeing best as they usualy doo :) (allthough theya aren't realy specialy not in prise)

Considering they have Silencer on their card they have even right to brag about having good cooling and if it's thrue about eVga cooling preformance eVga has no right to brag about it.

MD

I am an Asus guy, through and through.... and thier newest card looks cool, if you ask me.

QJ

Back