evga 9800gtx vs 9800gtx+

courtney01

Gawd
If I can get both at the same price, which is better? I read reviews where a lot of people said the entire gtx+ line is faulty, but others are saying since the gtx is going to be discontinued go for the gtx+. I'm not an extreme gamer, but I just want one that is reliable since I think performance wise they are pretty similar (correct me if I'm wrong about this)?

my 9800gtx+ is awesome. no problems whatsoever.. its an xfx edition. but still, its a monster!

i saw good reviews about the 9800gtx +. i would get one if i had the cash but the 260s have dropped in price so they have become tempting to get.

GTX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339
GTX+: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130420

Just wondering, how come the GTX has many more purchases and better ratings if the GTX+ is supposed to be better?

Can anyone verify whether the comments in the GTX+ section about the 9800 GTX+ line being faulty is true or not?

And the PSU requirement says that I need a minimum of a 450 Watt power supply
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amp Amps).

The GTX has more reviews because it's been available a good deal longer and was usually cheaper when both were on the market. Obviously this isn't the case at the moment, but that just about sums it up.

I just checked the EVGA forums, and a quick look through shows a lot of people having problems with the GTX+ (especially the superclocked version), even on the first page.

Should I take this as a sign to buy the GTX even though the GTX+ is supposed to be better? Or is something like this usually resolved by EVGA in the near future?

EDIT: According to many, apparently EVGA seems to have done nothing about the GTX/GTX+ problems even though people have been complaining and returning both models for over a year. So I guess a fix won't be coming out any time soon? So instead of wondering which one to get, should I just get neither? Here's somebody's quote (one of many who shares the same complaint):

"I don't know why they keep selling this card. It has a big problem, why don't they fix it, It seams that it is more profitable to sell the problem to all of us and then try to fix it. This card the 9800 GTX + has been out for quite a wile now and it still has a big problem , yet they sell it to us. I think they should give us all a new 285 GTX and fix the problem. I paid big bucks for this card and got a cheep card with bugs and don't work at all. The 9800 GTX will never work , they should scrap it out compleatley. I paid over $ 400.00 over a year ago and it still don't work. however they did replace it with a 9800 GTX + that cost less than $ 200.00 and I still have the same problem. I guess life time warenty means you have to put up with all these buggs for life."

that guy should start looking for environmental problems.

People take these $300 cards, stick em in this situation where the wall is spitting out 80V RMS, the PSU is hitting 11.5V unloaded (10.8V loaded) and the graphics card, due to manufacturing costs, doesnt have the 3 gagillion phase regulation it normally has. When the card dies, they assume its the cards fault. When the replacement dies, they still assume its the cards fault.

Then they go buy an HD4870 and it works perfectly. "must be EVGAs fault" they figure. Nope, digital PWM vs standard 8 phase regulation's what did it.

Anyways, The cards that sell well always have the most complaints. The 9800 series, for whatever reason, has sold well.

I think you'll find that most of the issues people have had with the eVGA 9800GTX(GTX+) cards are pretty closely tied to the single-plug, refreshed models.

I have an original 9800GTX, and haven't had one single issue with it from purchase in September through today.

The original is no longer available as a new product, but just for the sake of argument, have a look at the reviews here for the re-certified 9800GTX, and here for the original, deactivated product.

Here you'll find reviews of the original, two-plug, GTX+ card.

Only 7 reviews for that last one, but so far, not a single mention of the issues that seem to plague the refreshed, single-plug, models.

I don't have any truly concrete evidence, nor do I harbor any ill-will towards eVGA. I'm running an eVGA 9800GTX now, with an eVGA GTX260 arriving Monday.

It just seems to me that something didn't go quite right with the re-design. Whatever the issue is may not be directly caused by those changes, but, it sure seems something got borked in the process.

People take these $300 cards, stick em in this situation where the wall is spitting out 80V RMS, the PSU is hitting 11.5V unloaded (10.8V loaded) and the graphics card, due to manufacturing costs, doesnt have the 3 gagillion phase regulation it normally has. When the card dies, they assume its the cards fault. When the replacement dies, they still assume its the cards fault.

Then they go buy an HD4870 and it works perfectly. "must be EVGAs fault" they figure. Nope, digital PWM vs standard 8 phase regulation's what did it

I'm really sorry but I don't know much about the terminology and conditions you were explaining. I'm a complete noob so I don't overclock or mod anything. I just install everything stock. If you go to the bottom of that webpage, there's a pdf file with a list of supported gpu's. According to that my PSU supports up to a GTX280. So does that mean I'll be ok, not like the people you're criticizing?

I also think that since the performance difference is negligible between the two, going with the GTX would be better since there are less reports of defects?

From what I could glean since I saw this thread the "pink screen" artifacting issue is related to problems with the card (the 9800 GTX+) switching between 2D and 3D modes. An EVGA tech posted in their forums that they are aware of the issue and hope to have a fix in an upcoming driver release. He didn't expound more than that, so it was unknown if this would be an EVGA specific driver release or if Nvidia would be doing it (as people in the forums were claiming it was related to all 9800 GTX+ cards, not just EVGA's).

Is there any reason you are concentrating on just these two models? If I were that worried I would investigate an ATI model in the same price range. Then again, I haven't seen a card yet that didn't have its issues for some people,

courtney:

The GTX you linked to is actually the new design GTX+ in a GTX box with a GTX part number. Look at the pictures and read the reviews. I bought one, it was a GTX+. Specs are identical to the N879 standard clocked GTX+ from EVGA. So with either you may experience the artifacting issues. It is a driver issue and not power supply. Go here to read up >> link. You may need to sign up for the forums. Start at post # 248. It's a driver issue that is supposed to be fixed within the week.

Go with the best price on these cards, which currently is the N884 card you linked above.

From what I could glean since I saw this thread the "pink screen" artifacting issue is related to problems with the card (the 9800 GTX+) switching between 2D and 3D modes. An EVGA tech posted in their forums that they are aware of the issue and hope to have a fix in an upcoming driver release. He didn't expound more than that, so it was unknown if this would be an EVGA specific driver release or if Nvidia would be doing it (as people in the forums were claiming it was related to all 9800 GTX+ cards, not just EVGA's).

In your experience, does evga or nvidia keep their word and release fixes for problems as widespread as this?

Is there any reason you are concentrating on just these two models? If I were that worried I would investigate an ATI model in the same price range. Then again, I haven't seen a card yet that didn't have its issues for some people,
The reason why I'm looking at these 2 cards is because it's right at my budget (about $125), and I'm only looking at cards that have lifetime warranties. If you have any other suggestions that I can look at that meet both of these criteria (and is of course at least as good as these 2 cards) I would really appreciate it.

The GTX you linked to is actually the new design GTX+ in a GTX box with a GTX part number. Look at the pictures and read the reviews. I bought one, it was a GTX+. Specs are identical to the N879 standard clocked GTX+ from EVGA. So with either you may experience the artifacting issues. It is a driver issue and not power supply. Go here to read up >> link. You may need to sign up for the forums. Start at post # 248. It's a driver issue that is supposed to be fixed within the week.

Go with the best price on these cards, which currently is the N884 card you linked above.

I see. So the 2 cards I linked to are really the same card, except one is just superclocked?

Just buy the cheaper card.Not much of a difference when people are hitting 800+ core clocks with these cards andyway.

For $199 you should just get a gtx 260 or gtx 280 for a bit more

You should have no trouble picking up a hd4850 or a 9800gtx for $125

You should have no trouble picking up a hd4850 or a 9800gtx for $125

I just tried googling some 4850 but can't seem to find anything in that price range. So I guess a 9800gtx is my only best option for this budget? How does the XFX HD 4830 compare to the 9800 GTX/GTX+?
I heard people used the molex connector to power the card. Does this seem to solve the problems for everyone?

you can get a hd4850 for $125 I will find one for you then send you a pm

Jabbing you because for $199 there are better options for less. I've seen 4870's go for <200 shipped.

9800gtx(+) is somewhere between a 4830 and 4850 performance wise.

like i said, just an suggestion homie. he prolly not an ATI fan so 9800 GTX + BE lol holla

IIRC asus doesn't have lifetime warranties? I'm actually sticking with cards that have lifetime warranties and at the $125 price limit.
ASUS does not offer a lifetime warranty. The companies that do are BFG, eVGA, and XFX for nVidia cards, and XFX and Visiontek for ATI cards.

Just get the $125 AR card and enjoy. Plenty of ways to keep the pink artifact at bay until help arrives. Easiest method is to install the 178.24 driver. My machine only did it to me once.

Just get the $125 AR card and enjoy. Plenty of ways to keep the pink artifact at bay until help arrives. Easiest method is to install the 178.24 driver. My machine only did it to me once.

Is there going to be help with that one?

9800gtx(+) is somewhere between a 4830 and 4850 performance wise.

It really depends on what games you're playing. I've used both (4850 and 9800GTX+) and couldn't really tell the difference at 1920x1200 in CoD:WaW.

Is the 9800gtx/gtx+ discontinued by nvidia? I saw a couple references online, but I'm not sure if it's true or not so I wanted to check here. What does it mean if it is? Do you no longer get support for it if you need it replaced? Newegg also doesn't seem to allow you to return it for a refund.

Is the 9800gtx/gtx+ discontinued by nvidia? I saw a couple references online, but I'm not sure if it's true or not so I wanted to check here. What does it mean if it is? Do you no longer get support for it if you need it replaced? Newegg also doesn't seem to allow you to return it for a refund.
I haven't heard anything of the sort. However, if it were to be discontinued, then if the card failed it would be replaced with another one from the stock of whichever brand you purchase it from, and if there is no stock left then you will be given a card of comparable performance, or, failing that, the next step higher.

The new card is a 9800GTX+ with BIOS flash to change the name to GTS250. Probably some new graphics and stickers too. You'll get lifetime warranty from EVGA if it gets registered within 30 days of invoice date. Any failure will net you a new card, either 9800GTX+, GTS250 or next equivalent generation card.

Couple links with info:
Link 1
Link 2

The new card is a 9800GTX+ with BIOS flash to change the name to GTS250. Probably some new graphics and stickers too. You'll get lifetime warranty from EVGA if it gets registered within 30 days of invoice date. Any failure will net you a new card, either 9800GTX+, GTS250 or next equivalent generation card.

Couple links with info:
Link 1
Link 2

How much is the GTS250 going to be sold for?

Is there a quality difference for a 9800 GTX+ between XFX and EVGA? I'm trying to decide which company to buy and both are pretty much the same price. I know both have lifetime warranties. Does anyone know if the major problem the 9800GTX+ line was having was happening to all makers or just EVGA?

I narrowed down my choices to:
1. EVGA GTX+: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4283354&CatId=3670
2. XFX GTX+: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4037153&CatId=3670
3. XFX 4850: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4387011&CatId=3670

How much is the GTS250 going to be sold for?
Probably the same price as the 9800GTX+, although it may be more.
Is there a quality difference for a 9800 GTX+ between XFX and EVGA?
Nope. They don't actually manufacture the cards, and chances are that they actually come from the same place. The only differences between brands are service, warranty policies, and clock speeds.
Does anyone know if the major problem the 9800GTX+ line was having was happening to all makers or just EVGA?
No idea.
I would go with the 4850.

I would go with the 4850.

Just wondering, what's your reason?

What I know so far is that someone online said that the 4850 is better overall than the 9800gtx except in crysis and a few titles coded in favor of nvidia. But in all the tests I see online, some group will have the 4850 as performing better but others will have the gtx+ performing better, so I really don't know what to make of people's opinions. I even see a lot of people saying the GTX+ is the one that's better overall.

I heard the 4850 is better future proofed because it's based on newer tech whereas the 9800gtx+, while good, is already outdated so won't last as long. So would the 4850 be a better investment even if it might lose out in current games?

I also know that the 4850 is dual slot cooled, but someone in hardforum said it's not the kind that dumps heat through the back vent but rather inside the case. Is this true?

I know that the radeon cards also have better sound options than nvidia cards, but I don't care at all for this feature so this shouldn't play any factor in deciding which card is best. I just care about graphic performance. I also won't be overclocking.

A card that is not loud is also one of the highest priorities for me.

Back