EVGA 8800GTX RMA Horror Story

pugsley1218

Limp Gawd
About 40 days ago, I purchased two 8800GTXs (supeclocked edition) for my new SLI system. I would have bought it through newegg, but my new debit card hadn't came in the mail yet, so I had to buy through an ebay-stores reseller instead. They were both brand new, packaged and unregistered cards.

I was using these cards and they were fine for awhile, but eventually one died. I tried to RMA it, and was denied. I called EVGA and was told since it was bought through ebay, it was not warranted. I called back multiple times, and argued with them about my loss of $600, but they basically said, "you're fucked, sucks to be you". They told me to try to return it to the original retailer. Well, the retailer I bought it from only has a 7-day return policy. So now I am screwed, and out $600. This is ridiculous. There is no difference between a damn ebay store and a retailer. I should still be able to RMA the item.

What can I do now? Anything? Am I out $600 and I just have to suck it up?

If this doesn't get sorted out, I will NEVER, EVER buy an EVGA product again. They obviously don't care about their customers.

EVGA stands correct, ask the seller friendly if he can help you with that problem, if he cant, try locating an evga employee in some forum and explain the situation, otherwise seems youre out of luck :(

This may seem mean, but it's really your fault. Why would you think that EVGA would warranty an item sold to you by some random person on Ebay? If it is not one of their authorized retailers, there is no way that they can make sure it stays in good condition.

This may seem mean, but it's really your fault. Why would you think that EVGA would warranty an item sold to you by some random person on Ebay? If it is not one of their authorized retailers, there is no way that they can make sure it stays in good condition.

It WAS NOT a random person. It was an established ebay store, with 30k+ feedback. Again, IT IS NOT A RANDOM PERSON. It is an ebay store, therefore it should not be different than any other independent online retailer.

Most companies actually do have coverage for products which are sold via eBay. I know I personally don't do business with companies who don't, because I do a lot of my purchasing through that medium.

I won't say "it's your fault!" like other people, but definitely do your research next time. (Now you know some companies are behind the times, right?)

Most companies actually do have coverage for products which are sold via eBay. I know I personally don't do business with companies who don't, because I do a lot of my purchasing through that medium.

I won't say "it's your fault!" like other people, but definitely do your research next time. (Now you know some companies are behind the times, right?)

Yeah, I knew I would get those kind of responses in this topic, but if it was their $600, it would be different. How was I supposed to know it wouldn't be warranted?

EVGA penalizes small businesses in favour of the big retailers. Simple as.

So I just got my established retailer to write me an invoice excluding the words "ebay". Took me a couple of months but EVGA could not refuse a legit invoice from a properly registered legit business.

(Once sorted, I promptly sold everything that even said EVGA and am very happy now)

EBAY store = some nut with an ebay account and a phone and computer. Nothing like a store. No agreement with manufactures or anything like that.

EBAY = buy at your own risk.

EBAY store = some nut with an ebay account and a phone and computer. Nothing like a store. No agreement with manufactures or anything like that.

EBAY = buy at your own risk.

Not true. There are many legit business people on ebay. But there's no point in arguing with you "big business" fanboi's.

Yeah, I knew I would get those kind of responses in this topic, but if it was their $600, it would be different. How was I supposed to know it wouldn't be warranted?

Read the warranty before purchasing. It's somewhat common knowledge to not buy stuff like graphics cards from Ebay stores for warranty reasons, but it is understandable if someone didn't know it before hand.

It sucks to be in your shoes, but contact the ebay store nicely and ask for help. You may suprised and they may be able assist you.

Oh, and the reason for the no ebay policy is because of the large amount counterfet goods sold on ebay in your beloved ebay stores.

It WAS NOT a random person. It was an established ebay store, with 30k+ feedback. Again, IT IS NOT A RANDOM PERSON. It is an ebay store, therefore it should not be different than any other independent online retailer.

30k or 1 it does not matter. Ebay is like buying something at a garage sale. While it may be a trusted neighbor (30k rating) or a sale you saw on the way to work (1 rating) the point is that you bought an item 3rd party and as such buyer beware.

I'd be pissed too and I understand your plight but Ebay is Ebay and I would never buy something so expensive (you bought two!) unless I could eat the loss if it turned out to be defective.

Maybe Ebay can help but if it stated in the sale that you only had a limited warentee then you might be out of luck.

-JB

I actually was stunned to learn some companies void their warranties because of them being eBay purchases. When I got my Dell monitor which I bought through eBay, the stand was messed up and I needed them to send me a new one. I had bought the monitor brand new, unopened, off of eBay.

When I went online to research what I needed to do, I was told some companies won't honor their warranty if you buy the product through eBay. I was very lucky that Dell honors warranties through eBay, but I keep a close eye on which companies I do business with these days. I own a small business, so companies who treat customers badly just because of where they bought their product really get on my nerves. :)

Not true. There are many legit business people on ebay. But there's no point in arguing with you "big business" fanboi's.

You are correct that some established stores sell on ebay. It is also true that the same item bought at the store usually costs more.

-JB

Completely agree. A registered business is a registered business is a registered business. You need to have all the paperwork in order, prove who you are, and be recognized by the government. Not sure why people don't understand this.

The difference is that rather than create their own website with the overhead involved, they leverage someone else's website.

Sad thing is, some crook could setup their own website and EVGA would probably prefer that invoice.

Just get the invoice and ask them to remove the word 'ebay'. Make sure their company address is on the invoice as well as their company details. And make sure it doesn't say 'ebay. Worked for me.

... and hopefully the business is a regsitered evga partner and the card isn't one of those "salvaged" ones that didn't make it thru the Q/A process and was sold as good.

Lesson learned, wait for your debit card, or get an american express card that will charge back problem orders.

You say you have now lost $600, how do you figure you have lost $600 ? as no way is a 8800gtx $600, maybe 2 of them together from fleabay would be 600 but certainly not one 8800gtx is $600 and if you paid 600 bux for 1 8800gtx then you got raped bigtime.

Sorry, but EVGA cannot guarantee that the seller might not care for the card, in their specified manner.

And that is a random person, whether store or not. If you do not know them, or have not heard alot of good reviews about them, then you should not buy from them.

Ebay can be shady at times. You should have read the return policy for the seller, and asked EVGA is they would guarantee you if you bought through Ebay, before buying.

This isn't EVGA's fault, it was ignorance on your part. And hey, we all make mistakes. Just move on, there is nothing you can do about it.

Sorry if I sounded like a jerk :p

Sorry, but EVGA cannot guarantee that the seller might not care for the card, in their specified manner.

And that is a random person, whether store or not. If you do not know them, or have not heard alot of good reviews about them, then you should not buy from them.

Ebay can be shady at times. You should have read the return policy for the seller, and asked EVGA is they would guarantee you if you bought through Ebay, before buying.

This isn't EVGA's fault, it was ignorance on your part. And hey, we all make mistakes. Just move on, there is nothing you can do about it.

Sorry if I sounded like a jerk :p

That sucks man... Its true though You should have followed EVGA's policies.. :eek:

That sucks man... Its true though You should have followed EVGA's policies.. :eek:

An authorized reseller has a set agreement with a vendor about how they market, carry, and support a product. Ebay resellers do not.

eVGA knows that Newegg, ZZF, or Frys will sell their goods within their price specs and handle the merchandise in an agreed upon way.

You all are pretty harsh about this. Where in the warranty does it say that they don't do eBay? I looked and all I saw was this curious statement:

"We stand behind the products we sell, for their value, quality, and reliability."

I did not see a disclaimer that exempts items bought from eBay, they just say that you need a receipt.

So WHO exactly did you talk to at eVGA?

http://www.evga.com/support/

Has every important person's email. If you only talked to a CSR or tech, what is their name or employee ID? Did you right that down?

"Contact our Customer Service through email to get all of your questions answered and problems resolved - its fast, its easy, and it works! If you require immediate assistance, please contact our Customer Service at 888.881.EVGA (3842)."

Is that the number you called? Who did you talk to?

"

EVGA is recognized through customer loyalty and the highest levels in customer satisfaction. We continuously work to make sure that each purchase results in a customer for life! This is part of the EVGA Difference - known for offering value and performance, as well as top notch customer service.

EVGA is proud to announce the EVGA Advanced RMA (EAR) Program with all products purchase on or after November 1, 2006. To sign up for EVGA Advanced RMA Program all you need to do is register your product with us and you will have several options to choose from. For more information please visit http://www.evga.com/ear.

In keeping with our valued ideology, we are pleased to offer our customers the EVGA Limited Lifetime Warranty Program.

Please Note: As EVGA strives to honor the best limited lifetime warranty in the business we have made, and will continue to make, policy changes. Make sure you read this document carefully and check back for updates.

For our retail Graphics Card and Mainboard products purchased on or after June 22, 2005, EVGA will provide a limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser of each retail product that the product will not suffer, in material or workmanship, from any defect that adversely affects the performance of the product. This limited lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product, based upon the following conditions:

* All EVGA Products purchased ON or AFTER November 1, 2006 MUST be registered within 30 days from ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE to receive limited lifetime warranty. (All products not registered within 30 days will ONLY receive a 1 year limited warranty.)
* Removal and or Defacing of Serial/Part number sticker(s) on ANY EVGA products WILL void ALL warranties.
* ALL Defective products sent in for RMA replacement MUST INCLUDE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL INVOICE / RECEIPT. (Products NOT including invoice/receipt will be returned to the customer at customer’s expense.)
* Limited Lifetime Warranty is for all retail Graphics Card and Mainboard products ending in the part numbers A1, AR, AX, BR*, BX*, DR, DX, FR, FX, SG, SL, or S2.
* [Replacement products are shipped out as –BR or –BX and will carry the same limited lifetime warranty that your original purchase had based on your registration.]
* There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components that are caused by: Damage due to improper installation, damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of Aftermarket cooling installation, and water damage of any kind.
* All replacement products shipped out for replacement are recertified by EVGA to uphold the quality and guarantee of our products.
* All RMA products will require the customer to pay for shipping to EVGA. EVGA will cover all return shipping back for the RMA replacement with (Ground) Shipping through UPS.*

*Shipping into Canada is sent through USPS (United States Postal Service) as Standard shipping. All RMA replacements to Canada will state “Warranty Replacement” on the package to Canada to assist in avoiding any Brokerage Fee’s through Canadian customs. EVGA is NOT responsible for any fees charged by the Canadian government or brokers due to brokerage fees.

We will repair or replace the defective parts free of charge (no refunds). All you pay is the shipping charge to return the product to EVGA.

EVGA reserves the right to claim for shipping fees along with a service charge* from the customer for any incomplete or modified product that is returned and requires repair or replacement, or when the customer is not entitled to any coverage under this limited lifetime warranty. EVGA provides this same limited lifetime warranty to any graphics card and mainboard repaired or replaced pursuant this limited lifetime warranty. All replacement products shipped will have –BX or –BR at the end of the part number and carry the same warranty as original product. EVGA limited lifetime warranty is for North America, Latin America, and Canada only.

Please feel free to call us first for any needed support at (888) 880-EVGA (3842) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We stand behind the products we sell, for their value, quality, and reliability.

Don't forget — EVGA offers the VGA Industry exclusive Step-Up Program.

* EVGA reserves the right to change this policy without advance notice. Service charge is variable based upon the actual material cost to replace missing or modified parts back to their original factory condition."

Note the words... " For our retail Graphics Card and Mainboard products purchased on or after June 22, 2005, EVGA will provide a limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser of each retail product that the product will not suffer, in material or workmanship, from any defect that adversely affects the performance of the product. This limited lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product, based upon the following conditions:"

ORIGINAL PURCHASER. They may view the Ebay seller as the ORIGINAL END USER / PURCHASER, not you. Just because you form an LLC and have 30K feedback does not make you a legitimate business. Where is their business license? Are they an authorized reseller of WHAT? Who gives them permission to be middleman for their stuff?

The onus is on you thru simply not knowing. You didn't know the rules, how the game was played, etc. For that, I sympathize with you.

Also, your story lacks FACTS! When EXACTLY they were bought. WHO they were bought from. HOW the HELL did you get 2x GTX's for $600 when NO ONE is selling 640's for that low? WHAT bell did not ring in your noggin about that dirt cheap price? WHY could you not wait a few more days for your debit card to go thru the proper channels?

So fill in the blanks for us...

1. When bought.
2. Ebay reseller.
3. Contact at Ebay reseller (name?).
4. Contact at eVGA?
5. Any and all correspondence from both?

There is an eVGA rep around here, no? XFX has one, right? Kyle also helped out laptopitis or some shit about his problem, so contact the [H]ard Crew.

You jumped the gun, bought some goods from a white van so to speak, and now want the manufacturer to honor their warranty. I'd kiss some ass, write some nice letters, appeal to the "making me the happiest customer" spiel they spout above.

Honey vs. vinegar.

FYI, eVGA is NOT IN ANY WAY scared of you. So stop blustering and man up. Be polite and you may get what you want.

Not sure if this has been covered or not but here it goes ... If you bought the card via CC, then most CC's will automatically double the warrenty. Just call them up and they will send you a package with paper work to fill out. The reason I know this is because my neighbor not to long ago bought a plasma tv in the same fashion you did and was told about the same thing. Needles to say, he called his CC provider and indeed he was, as they say, "good to go". He just had to prove what the O.E. warrenty was. Simple enough, one photo copy out of the manual and he was done. Anyways, just thought I'd speak my half, maybe people out there don't know this about there own card.

what i dont understand about your situattion is what were your exact words when u
called evga? did u say hey i bought if off ebay?

ive bought quite a few things off ebay and craigslist and when i fucked them up learning the ways of watercooling all ii told them it was a birthday gift . so i didnt have the reciept.

all they wanted was the serial $ shit i cooked a p4c800-e deluxe lil over a yr ago and they were dicontinued and asus repaired it... free

also cooked an ati x700pro agp in the same instance. that i had rma'ed

is all on what u tell them and how u speak to them.

(working in a pawnshop for 2+ years you learn what to say and what not too)

did they black list the serial #'s or something . or did u not even get that far.

Not sure if this has been covered or not but here it goes ... If you bought the card via CC, then most CC's will automatically double the warrenty. Just call them up and they will send you a package with paper work to fill out. The reason I know this is because my neighbor not to long ago bought a plasma tv in the same fashion you did and was told about the same thing. Needles to say, he called his CC provider and indeed he was, as they say, "good to go". He just had to prove what the O.E. warrenty was. Simple enough, one photo copy out of the manual and he was done. Anyways, just thought I'd speak my half, maybe people out there don't know this about there own card.
Problem is that in this case, no warranty to begin with is still no warranty after doubling.

What most ppl didn't realize is that eBay stores is often selling grey market items. Those items may be bought to be sold to a given place but instead of this, it's shipped to another place and sold at a cheaper price. This is what Costco do with electronics and why not all manufacturers honor items coming from Costco.

Back