Evga 8800GTS, how loud is it?

sfsuphysics

[H]F Junkie
I'm just curious about how loud this particular card is. I've seen everyone mention the graphics, what it can do, etc, but how loud are these guys? I know they probably get quite warm, but are the heatsink/fans made effectively enough so it's not super loud/

Are we talking
A) Sitting next to the airport runway
B) Lawnmower outside with window closed
C) TV on in another room
D) Is this thing even on?

Now I don't expect D, but who knows.

I have 2 120mm case fans, a Zalman 9700, and a SeaSonic 600watt psu.

Because of my OC, I have my fans cranked, so they're fairly loud, but I can't even hear the card running, so D.

D)

I've got 3x120mm Scythe case fans (1200rpm each) a Zalman 9700, and a Corsair 520w psu all in a Lian Li PC-7 Plus II. Running my evga 8800 at 90% fan speed and it's pretty damn quiet. Crank the card fan to 100% and you'll know it's there, but it doesn't sound like a jet.

24dba from 1ft with the case closed (measured at 4am in my quiet room ambient noise below the scope of my decibelmeter, so under 17dba) under idle, ramping to 26dba under full load.

Turning the fan up to 81% (threshold of bearable for me) brought the card's noise closer to 28dba.

The tonic qualities of the sound is most easily described as a "whoosh" with frequencies low enough to allow one to accomodate the noise it's making... It's not high pitched, and it doesn't "vary" enough to grab your attention.

For reference. A yate loon fan run at 12v in the same case (nothing else turned on) measured about 23dba in open drawn air (meaning there's no "grill" on the fan, it's mounted to a hole in the case) from 1 foot.

Expect that your case temps will get alot warmer though... I gained 4c on my CPU temp and 7c on my NB temp because of that bastard. It's quiet though. I suggest blocking off the top vents and increasing the fan speed. It hurts yoru GPU temps, but seriously helps your case temps.

D

At 75% fan speed, I can't hear mine over my Zalman 9500@ full speed and 2 120mm Antec tri-cools @ their lowest speeds. These cards are incredibly quiet.

mine sounds just like this - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

but maybe not quite as loud. but i could be mistaken.

When I had mine, I had it on 100% fan speed and could barely hear a small whirr, but that was only the air, and not the actual fan. Now my 1800xt is a different story...

D when fan is set to auto, I can't hear it. @100% fan, its too loud for me though.

I'm just curious about how loud this particular card is. I've seen everyone mention the graphics, what it can do, etc, but how loud are these guys? I know they probably get quite warm, but are the heatsink/fans made effectively enough so it's not super loud/

Are we talking
A) Sitting next to the airport runway
B) Lawnmower outside with window closed
C) TV on in another room
D) Is this thing even on?

Now I don't expect D, but who knows.

is the thing even on?

D for me at stock cooling parameters (60% fan speed)...cranked up to 85% I can barely hear it in my normally quiet room. At a LAN party I crank it to 100% and can't hear jackshit compared to the party going on:eek: :p

D, the loudest component in my comp that I can hear is the damn CPU fan :(

Wow, after hearing the stock fan on the x1950xt I was thinking that this would atleast be in the same ball park (all the pictures look like the same stock setups for the 8800 series as well). I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and find out.

D, FTW!
I set it manually at 100%, just because I could barley tell the difference. A lot quieter than my 5700Ultra! lol

Back