eVGA 8800GTS (G92) horrible performance..help!

sitheris

[H]ard|Gawd
I just put together my new system today, and I am having horrible performance with my video card.

My system is in my sig...

E6750
8800gts g92
Gigabyte P35-DS3P
Corsair HX620W

In Vista 64 bit I'm getting an experience rating of 3.7, it's choking on Aero and the other graphics score

My gpu and memory clock speeds are correct, I've tried multiple driver versions: 169.06, 21, 25, and 28

Same results with all versions.

I've tried plugging the 8pin 12v cable from my PSU to the motherboard.
I've tried plugging the additional molex for PCI-E power to the motherboard.

My PCI-E Cable is plugged into my PSU and graphics card.

I simply cannot figure out why my performance is so bad. I also tried out Crysis and it was extremely choppy even at the Optimal (auto) settings.

Anyone know what could be wrong?

I have an almost identical system and it runs fine, so everything should work well. Just going down the list of usually troubleshooting:
1) Try updating your BIOS for the DS3P if it isn't already the most recent version
2) What's your other scores in the Vista benchmark (its generally good enough to see if something else is out of whack).
4) Try using a driver cleaner and re-installing your drivers. Also, how does the system run without a driver installed?
3) Did you do a fresh install or did you upgrade? Try reformating and re-installing Vista.

The BIOS is up to date (first thing I did)
Vista scores are:

I did a fresh install of Vista...so I don't think that's the problem.

Yup, everything else seems good. Try running GPU-Z and check to see if your card is running at proper speeds (specifically see if the PCIe 16x lane is running at 16x).

Vista doesn't give the Nvidia Sentinel pop-up message if the GPU detects insufficient power. Check the event log on startup, or load up GPU-z and see if your GPU is running in dummy because it thinks it's not getting enough power.

I've been seeing these posts everywhere. Almost every time, its because the pcie is running at 1x instead of 16x lanes.

GPU-Z detects that it's running at 16x, and reports the correct clock speeds...i will check to see if it's running in dummy.

I'm also about to test the card on another vista system to make sure it's not defective.

I was able to try another PSU (Antec Trio 650w) on my system and the video card works fine...11326 3dmark06 score.

I'm wondering if the Corsair HX620W that I have is just faulty or is it a bad PSU for my video card altogether?

Should I RMA? Or should I return it and get another PSU?

Check and see if the PCIe power cable was plugged in all the way or if it was bad (i.e. try another cable). If it still doesn't work right then yes, the PSU is malfunctioning somehow, RMA the sucker. I'm using one right now and its solid as a rock, so the card works fine with them. First bad 620HX I've seen, but Corsair RMA is usually really good with their stuff, you should get it quickly.

Check and see if the PCIe power cable was plugged in all the way or if it was bad (i.e. try another cable). If it still doesn't work right then yes, the PSU is malfunctioning somehow, RMA the sucker. I'm using one right now and its solid as a rock, so the card works fine with them. First bad 620HX I've seen, but Corsair RMA is usually really good with their stuff, you should get it quickly.

Yeah my friend and I have done a lot of swapping/testing with the card so I'm sure we got the PCIe cable plugged in properly. I'm going to just RMA the PSU and pick up an Antec to use temporarily from best buy (need to get in some gaming on this thing darnit!)

Well I was able to get BB to pricematch Circuit City's online price of the Antec Trio 650w (found a novice cashier and an apathetic manager) :D

So I'm just going to get my money back on the Corsair and stick with the Antec since it seems to be doing fine....this system is a beast! :cool:

Just got an HX620W myself- my experience with it so far has been top-notch. My PC now runs quieter and cooler, with more power to boot! (Used to have an Ultra X3 500W PSU).

The BIOS is up to date (first thing I did)
Vista scores are:

I did a fresh install of Vista...so I don't think that's the problem.

just by the look of that , looks like you dont have your drivers installed for your video card

graphics 3.7 , should be 5.9
gaming graphics 4.4 should be 5.9

Back