eVGA 8800 GTS Problems

I have a 8800 GTS and a 7600 GS.... I used the newest forceware (modified so I can run both video cards). Anything that is 3d accelerated jumps (pauses the mouse every 2 seconds) .... The 3d logo in the nvidia control panel does the same thing, it will spin pause, spin pause... etc. Any ideas on what can be causing this? I search here, nvidia forums and guru3d and found nothing.

you say you modified the drivers? how exactly does that work?

looking at your sig, your power supply is definitely underpowered for your configuration. i wouldn't be surprised if something isn't getting enough power. i've been having all sorts of issues with my Antec TP-II 550 SLI with my rig which is less tricked out than yours (works fine without the 8800).

although, i will bet more likely that the problem is with the drivers. NV needs to hurry up and release a universal driver so I can run my 7600 GS too :(

also, have you tried running with just one card and does that fix the problem?

Actually that is incorrect I have a 520 watt power supply. The 8800 series is not part of the universal forceware. If you want to have a 7 series and a 8 series in the same case you have to use the same forceware. I just followed instructions to modify the inf to include the 7 series. I am not sure if that is my problem or not, I am not trying to play the game on my 7 series of course.

I have no tried to run with only one card yet. I used driver cleaner in an attempt to do a clean install. I actually got the 8800 GTS working fine with the same foreware I modified... I tried to install the old forceware for the 7 series, which gave me a BSOD. So I did a little research and modified the inf file to include support for the 7 series, and the video cards were both working, however the 3d acceleration is messed up. I will have to do some more investigating.

Actually that is incorrect I have a 520 watt power supply. The 8800 series is not part of the universal forceware. If you want to have a 7 series and a 8 series in the same case you have to use the same forceware. I just followed instructions to modify the inf to include the 7 series. I am not sure if that is my problem or not, I am not trying to play the game on my 7 series of course.

Correct.

I have no tried to run with only one card yet. I used driver cleaner in an attempt to do a clean install. I actually got the 8800 GTS working fine with the same foreware I modified... I tried to install the old forceware for the 7 series, which gave me a BSOD. So I did a little research and modified the inf file to include support for the 7 series, and the video cards were both working, however the 3d acceleration is messed up. I will have to do some more investigating.

This is the next logical step. The older 7 series card really needs to come out for testing purposes.

you say you modified the drivers? how exactly does that work?

looking at your sig, your power supply is definitely underpowered for your configuration. i wouldn't be surprised if something isn't getting enough power. i've been having all sorts of issues with my Antec TP-II 550 SLI with my rig which is less tricked out than yours (works fine without the 8800).

although, i will bet more likely that the problem is with the drivers. NV needs to hurry up and release a universal driver so I can run my 7600 GS too :(

They may not be able to. Or if they do, the driver package may be huge. The thing about the 8 series is that it is so completely different than the cards that came before it. A unified architecture and it's other features litterally makes the G80 a whole different animal. I am not a driver designer, so I am not 100% sure on this point, but it simply may not be possible to create one driver for all their cards at this point.

On the power supply point, I am not sure if that's the issue or not. The 8800GTS isn't as bad a power hog as the 8800GTX is. Additionally, power problems would probably manifest themselves in other ways than what the original poster is describing.

Civic00typer, your sig is too long and is in violation of the rules. A signature must not be greater than 10 lines. See rule #22.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=760666

If they don't do a universal driver, is it going to be possible to run two different forcewares?

I am not sure. One of the reasons behind having three PCIe x16 slots on the 680i reference boards is for multi-monitor systems. The idea being that you can leave SLI enabled all the time, and run a third card for two other monitors. Of course another possibility is being able to run a third card for physics.

(Another theory of mine is that SLI will expand to three cards instead of two, but that is a topic for another discussion.)

NVIDIA even has this in a diagram in some of their PR material. (Running two for SLI and one for multiple monitors.) NVIDIA is supposedly working on the problem. The reason it hasn't been fixed yet by creating a universal driver tells me there is a possibility that we might have to use lower end 8 series cards for such a solution to work.

I think that you can use 2 7-series cards in SLI and a third 7 or 6 series card for multiple monitors right now. Can anyone confirm this?

The reason it hasn't been fixed yet by creating a universal driver tells me there is a possibility that we might have to use lower end 8 series cards for such a solution to work.

Wow, that doesn't seem right. I thought the point of offering a 3rd x16 slot was to utilitize a older graphics card for the purposes of enabling multi-monitor support.

Wow, that doesn't seem right. I thought the point of offering a 3rd x16 slot was to utilitize a older graphics card for the purposes of enabling multi-monitor support.
no, apparently it's to utilize a yet-to-be-released mid-range dx10 nvidia card :(

No, the purpose is either for another video card to enable multiple monitor support on SLI systems, or to use another card for physics. There is nothing in any of NVIDIA's published material that makes any statement about using an older card for this purpose.

Back