eVGA 7800GTX

Bonkster

n00b
This is short, and sweet.

I have been a long time reader of HardOcp, and I can’t tell you how many times you guy's have opened my eyes to some shady deal, or buyer beware product scam. You guy's are truly in the trenches, and watching out for the "Average Joe". THANKS HARDOCP! I was recently looking for a new swanky Nvidia card, and as I always do I read what you guy's had out on all of the current 7800's on the market. And I just wanted to say that because of you, and your due diligence I WON'T be buying an eVGA 7800GTX anytime soon!

Thanks again

Bonkster

You have a little brown organic matter on your nose. You may want to wipe that off. ;) :D

Bonkster, question, what's so bad about eVGA? I bought their 7800 GTX and I'm loving it, what did you hear?

Hey Neubspeed, I personally don't have anything against eVGA persay. And if their 7800 is of a standard Nvidia reference design then I am sure the card rocks! I just like the fact that the team at HardOcp keeps an eye out for "Overly Expensive Shiney Heatsinks" That's all. Man I'm married and I cant be spending any extra cash on a shiney heatsink.Besides most of us are just gonna water the cool the sucker anyhow. But this is what Kyle had to say earlier in the week. And I love this quote!

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MTQ1NDYsQXVndXN0ICAgLDIwMDU=

As you can see from the diagram above, there is little if any "new" technology here. In fact, I have my suspicions that if the plating on the front did not cover the entire card (“a planar metallic cover plate having an external perimeter configuration that generally corresponds to the plan-form of the printed circuit board used in the graphics card assembly”), that a patent might not have ever been awarded. In my opinion there is little if anything new here to base the ACS³ marketing on, unless of course you are an unsuspecting consumer that does not know better. Do you want a cooler on your brand new $599 video card that is based on cooling technology from 2002? Actually, I am sure single large-finned heatsinks go back way further than that.

I would hold out until he has finished his review. He has the card inhand, so a review is forthcoming in the next few days. Then, we will see how well that card really works.

Personaly, I really dont care if its new tech. It looks great and is clocked quite high. Its a very good buy for us early adopters who paid 600 initialy. I can swap mine out if i choose to for .99Cents and shipping and get a better looking card that is clocked higher than i am able to clock my current GTX with tthe stock cooling. No I could buy an after market cooler but that would cost me more so........ in my case the AC3 is a good deal and after Kyle finishes his evaluation it may even be bettter if oc results are postive.

Oh and sorry about the brown nose comment dude, I was just horseing around :D

Back