EVGA 7800 GTX 512 overclocking?

DBZ33

Gawd
I just got my second EVGA 7800 GTX 512 and this new card will not overclock higher than 580 core and 1.75 memory. My other 7800 GTX 512 runs no problem at 620 core and 1.8 memory. The only thing I have noticed is that the new card has a newer bios rev. Do you think that my overclock is fine? Or do you guys think there is a way to get more out of my card. With both cards stock speed in SLI and my Opteron 254's @ 3.0GHz I scored 9262 in 3DMARK06. Thanks for the help.

There's really no guarantee that you're going to get two cards that perform past their specs to the same point. Sounds like your first card was a gem and the second basically just what it was manufactured to be.....

Just installed a pair of EVGA 512's. Managed to get 600/1.72 so far. That's a lot better than the BFG's I had. For some reason everytime I try 512's my memory never really oc's that much at all. I have a water cooling system on the way, so I'll see if I'm able to get anymore out of the cards.

Besides the coolness factor, why would you want to OC 2 512 GTXs in SLi? It would seem to me that stock would blow away everything you could throw at it. Just curious.

SuX0rz said:
Besides the coolness factor, why would you want to OC 2 512 GTXs in SLi? It would seem to me that stock would blow away everything you could throw at it. Just curious.

Just to get the max performance out of them. Oh and also the coolness factor. :D

SuX0rz said:

The question becons.... why not?

The thing you have to remember is, these are top-of-the-line cards. They've already gone through multiple binning levels [hence the low supply] to ensure that they perform at their maximum capacity. The chances of you getting a card that performs EVEN better are very slim.

I have had three BFG 512's, and they all did at least 600/1800 on the stock cooler. Remember, the timings on the memory are not spec for 1.1 ns GDDR3. They are tighter, but not as tight as the x1900, so they will likely not hit 1800. Besides, in my testing, a 1600 memory clock with tighter timings actually improved performance. The bandwidth of the memory outpaces the core anyway,so the ATI approach seems to be wise.

I've been able to push my BFG's to 590/1.76 reliably. Anything beyond that seemed to cause problems.

Yeah, it doesn't buy a whloe lot of the BFG's, since they're already overclocked anyway.

Mine are OC'ing to 605/1.75 on air...

try going up in small increments. I'm interested to see if they'll go any higher with the water system I have coming in....

DBZ33 said:
I just got my second EVGA 7800 GTX 512 and this new card will not overclock higher than 580 core and 1.75 memory. My other 7800 GTX 512 runs no problem at 620 core and 1.8 memory. The only thing I have noticed is that the new card has a newer bios rev. Do you think that my overclock is fine? Or do you guys think there is a way to get more out of my card. With both cards stock speed in SLI and my Opteron 254's @ 3.0GHz I scored 9262 in 3DMARK06. Thanks for the help.

yeah that EVGA oc result seems really bad. My BGF512 does 632/1850 max stable.

The memory used to do a little higher originally but now it isn't as stable, kind of weird. The above clocks are stable though. For 24/7, I usually run at 610/1800.

I just got my two 512's also. I am running them at 600/1750. It looks like I'm not really going to be able to push much more out of them.

Kind of sucks that my numbers are lower than other 512's out there but they still are kicking ass!!

:D

werrrd said:
yeah that EVGA oc result seems really bad. My BGF512 does 632/1850 max stable.

The memory used to do a little higher originally but now it isn't as stable, kind of weird. The above clocks are stable though. For 24/7, I usually run at 610/1800.

That's one of the highest OC's I've seen on a set of 512's.... you running stock cooler or water?

Stock cooler

some people have crazy cores that can do 640-655 on stock cooler :(

edit: oh sorry that's not a set of 512's, just single card, I know OCing in SLI usually yields lesser clocks.

werrrd said:
Stock cooler

some people have crazy cores that can do 640-655 on stock cooler :(

edit: oh sorry that's not a set of 512's, just single card, I know OCing in SLI usually yields lesser clocks.

Well when I get a chance I'll try a single card.... are you able to run 3dmark06 all the way through at those speeds, or are you just able to get them to pass the "test"?

I ran 06 at those settings

I get 6k single card.

trying to get more out of my cpu for a higher score, the gfx card is maxed though.

But yeah, it can do 06 at those settings no artifacts.

Back