EVGA 780 w/ ACX SLI

Anyone here running 780s with ACX coolers without throttling and high temps. Currently planning on getting another 780, first SLI rig. Ive been reading for the past two days on the subject non stop and there are mixed feelings with it. Some say hell no, others say it can be done with adequate airflow. Right now my H100 is mounted in the front of my case (CM Scout 2 Advanced), had to mod to make fit. Both fans are blowing out of the front, cant stand the dust that accumulates. I have two 120s that are mounted on the side panel blowing towards the video card and a rear exhaust. There is about an inch and half between the card and the next available pci express slot for the card. I can add two fans to the top of the case if necessary. Any advice would be helpful, hoping that I am not needing to swap for the reference cooler. So far I have ran Unigine Heaven for an hour at max settings and it topped out at 65c.

Some people swear it's the worst thing ever and it is probably less ideal than a traditional blower, but it's not the end of the world. You're definitely going to get 10C warmer on the top card -- maybe with the side fans you'll get less of a difference, but that's where I am -- 67C bottom, 77C top -- in Crysis 3.

Just keep it cool on the overclocking, maybe--don't run the max the cards will do.

I did a crossfire setup with a 7950 and a 280x once and it was horrible. I was trying to overclock them as much as possible and it just wasn't pretty. I checked the VRMs once on the 7950 and they were like 115C running Unigine Heaven. The 280x didn't have a VRM temp sensor. Shouldn't have been stable with VRMs that hot. It died within a couple months of that incident but I didn't expect it to.

The stock 780s you can't check the VRM temps at all... probably the same with the ACX?

Anyone here running 780s with ACX coolers without throttling and high temps. Currently planning on getting another 780, first SLI rig. Ive been reading for the past two days on the subject non stop and there are mixed feelings with it. Some say hell no, others say it can be done with adequate airflow. Right now my H100 is mounted in the front of my case (CM Scout 2 Advanced), had to mod to make fit. Both fans are blowing out of the front, cant stand the dust that accumulates. I have two 120s that are mounted on the side panel blowing towards the video card and a rear exhaust. There is about an inch and half between the card and the next available pci express slot for the card. I can add two fans to the top of the case if necessary. Any advice would be helpful, hoping that I am not needing to swap for the reference cooler. So far I have ran Unigine Heaven for an hour at max settings and it topped out at 65c.

I have that card, and have excellent airflow. I have no issues with heat, but its not in SLI. I have 6 x 140mm fans in my case atm.

Just keep it cool on the overclocking, maybe--don't run the max the cards will do.

I did a crossfire setup with a 7950 and a 280x once and it was horrible. I was trying to overclock them as much as possible and it just wasn't pretty. I checked the VRMs once on the 7950 and they were like 115C running Unigine Heaven. The 280x didn't have a VRM temp sensor. Shouldn't have been stable with VRMs that hot. It died within a couple months of that incident but I didn't expect it to.

The stock 780s you can't check the VRM temps at all... probably the same with the ACX?

No, you can't check them, but I have to say EVGA makes RMAing so easy, if your card does go bonkers, it's painless -- minus the slight downtime.

I recently had to RMA one card due to some artifacting when the voltage dropped below 900mV. In any not-too-taxing 3D game, I'd have a good bit of flashing white spots.

Thanks for all the tips and knowledge from the gawds of hardocp! I really dont plan on Ocing, if I do, it would only be up to 1ghz, nothing major. Even considered modifying the bios, but i love my warranty sadly.

Generally speaking, you want to go with a blower style cooler like the standard EVGA GTX 780 SC http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CTY84KI for multi-GPU setups. You really need to have a lot of nice airflow in your case to use aftermarket coolers with multiple GPU's

The blower style cooler on the GTX 780 works quite well and is very quiet.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back